I'm currently with Verizon and I have a Blackberry Classic that I'd like to replace. The battery doesn't last long any more and I really need some Android apps that are available.

I'd much like to have the new Mercury to have the lastest technology, but in the past, such as with the Priv it seemed like it took Verizon another 5 months after release to have it available. I don't want to wait 6 months for a replacement if it's going to be that long, but I can wait another month or two. Privs are $400 new from Verizon or $99 with 2 year contract. If I could find a good used Priv to buy I might consider that but the ones I find are maybe only $50 cheaper than new from Verizon, so not worth going the used route really.

Would like advice on what to do. Wait a month and see if Verizon gives us any clues on Mercury availability? Maybe buy a new $400 Priv now from Verizon and try to re-sell it for ~$300 (is that realistic?) after the Mercury comes out (and get the Mercury w/2 year contract)?
    01-31-17 03:11 PM
    I know this doesnt answer your question, but I would ditch Verizon and get either att or tmobile. There is not much difference in service anymore. Back to your question, wait for the mercury, or simply buy a second hand priv and wait till the mercury is out.

I'm currently with Verizon and I have a Blackberry Classic that I'd like to replace. The battery doesn't last long any more and I really need some Android apps that are available.

I'd much like to have the new Mercury to have the lastest technology, but in the past, such as with the Priv it seemed like it took Verizon another 5 months after release to have it available. I don't want to wait 6 months for a replacement if it's going to be that long, but I can wait another month or two. Privs are $400 new from Verizon or $99 with 2 year contract. If I could find a good used Priv to buy I might consider that but the ones I find are maybe only $50 cheaper than new from Verizon, so not worth going the used route really.

Would like advice on what to do. Wait a month and see if Verizon gives us any clues on Mercury availability? Maybe buy a new $400 Priv now from Verizon and try to re-sell it for ~$300 (is that realistic?) after the Mercury comes out (and get the Mercury w/2 year contract)?
    01-31-17 03:25 PM
    I know this doesnt answer your question, but I would ditch Verizon and get either att or tmobile. There is not much difference in service anymore. Back to your question, wait for the mercury, or simply buy a second hand priv and wait till the mercury is out.
    Verizon offers free, exclusive NFL mobile content. Can watch local games on your phone as well as all Thurs, Mon night games.

Posted with my  Classic
    01-31-17 04:11 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I'm using a Note 5 and OP3T. I'm contemplating selling or trading one for the Priv until the Mercury comes out.

In your situation, I'd get a used Priv now until the Mercury comes out. Either one is gonna blow the Classic away for Android apps. Good Luck and let us know which way you go.
    01-31-17 04:13 PM
    If you (and i) must stay with verizon... get a priv - unless official announcement has verizon as a carrier it will be a long wait..if ever...we barely got the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 04:17 PM
    If you (and i) must stay with verizon... get a priv - unless official announcement has verizon as a carrier it will be a long wait..if ever...we barely got the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    It seems that all 4 major carriers will be getting Mercury, but especially Verizon it's been noted a Verizon model has been through testing

Posted with my  Classic
    01-31-17 04:24 PM
    Wait until Mobile World Congress next month and see if they announce it to Verizon. Resale on Verizon Priv in 2-3 months will be low. You'll be lucky to get $200
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-31-17 04:36 PM
    Same boat! I've been stalking the used PRIVs on ebay for awhile.
    Will most likely go that direction and then pick up the Mercury when it comes out.
    01-31-17 04:54 PM
    Personally, I'd approach it from a different angle. I don't consider PRIV and Mercury as equal comparisons. I was in the same boat as you and decided to go with PRIV and have been very happy.

With PRIV you have slightly older internals, which are still great, and a slightly worse keyboard, but you get all of that screen real estate. So you've really got to debate what's most important to you.
    01-31-17 05:26 PM
    I'd wait on the build quality and get a Mercury if it's good or perhaps a cheap Priv if not.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 05:32 PM
    If you absolutely can't wait I say you buy out of contract for $400 and your thought on the ability to sell for $300 when the Mercury drops is realistic. Buying the PRIV now will give you some time to get used to the new BlackBerry utilizing the Android OS.

We all hope to hear more at MWC in a few weeks and hopefully TCL gives clear definition on availability across US Carriers and the rest of the world. Time will tell, you will absolutely love the PRIV and fingers crossed we all hear good news soon.
    01-31-17 05:54 PM
    Good 8-9 / 10 verizon on ebay are anywhere from 200-300 I have been stalking ebay to see about fixing my poor broken priv.

I do hope for verizon...

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 08:12 PM
    As the founder of the Verizon Priv waiting room, which was one of the longest threads in recent CB history, I really really hope the Mercury hits Verizon promptly.

You might be able to get $250 for a used Priv after the Mercury is released, so that's $150 for a couple months of use. I'd recommend getting an older phone on the cheap, like an LG G2, to hold you over. If you really want a physical keyboard phone, you could get a Droid 4 for around $50. It'll be slow but it'll do.
    Last edited by consv93; 01-31-17 at 10:11 PM.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    01-31-17 08:19 PM
    Thanks for the input. Looks like there is an announcement scheduled for Feb 25. In the past, how soon are devices typically available after such announcement (assume that the rumors are true that Verizon is ready to go with the Mercury)? In other words, what is the most realistic best-case scenario?
    02-01-17 12:42 AM
    Thanks for the input. Looks like there is an announcement scheduled for Feb 25. In the past, how soon are devices typically available after such announcement (assume that the rumors are true that Verizon is ready to go with the Mercury)? In other words, what is the most realistic best-case scenario?
    I would expect the Mercury will be in Verizon's hands to sell to its consumer customers within 30-60 days after the February 25th launch. As for myself, I bought a new Samsung Galaxy J3 6 V off eBay for about 140 bucks to tide me over while I wait to buy a VZW Mercury.
    02-01-17 12:47 AM
    I personally feel that you should go for the Mercury.
    Priv was pretty much like a prototype that rushed to release while the Dteks was pretty decent.
    02-01-17 02:56 AM

Did you watch MrMobile (Michael Fisher) re do review of the Priv? He says that even with the Marshmallow update its super sluggish. I would wait, hoping that the Mercury doesn't have this issue. For me smoothness is super important.
    Cheers
    02-01-17 03:08 AM
    Did you watch MrMobile (Michael Fisher) re do review of the Priv? He says that even with the Marshmallow update its super sluggish. I would wait, hoping that the Mercury doesn't have this issue. For me smoothness is super important.
    Cheers
    You have to take this statement with a grain of salt seeing as the software running on that reviewed Mercury was no where near complete.

Best case scenario in my opinion for Mercury release on Verizon would be late May possibly June July.
    02-01-17 07:22 AM
    You have to take this statement with a grain of salt seeing as the software running on that reviewed Mercury was no where near complete.

Best case scenario in my opinion for Mercury release on Verizon would be late May possibly June July.
    Why do you say that? The review was a current "re-do" review made just a week ago, already with Android Marshmallow on board. How can it be "no where near complete"?

Link
    02-01-17 07:27 AM
    Go for mercury or one of the DTEK's.
    Battery life of the PRIV is so bad.
    02-01-17 07:38 AM
    Why do you say that? The review was a current "re-do" review made just a week ago, already with Android Marshmallow on board. How can it be "no where near complete"?
    He taught you were talking about the Mercury's review that Mr Mobile did.... he didn't catch you were talking about the PRIV and discouraging the OP to go with what's out now.

I agree about waiting about two months.... let it be launched, let reviewer take a look and then let it get into the hands of some users. Then you can make an informed decision on the Mercury. As for the PRIV... some like it, but just as many don't - think it would all depend on what you paid for it, and what you were using before it.
    02-01-17 07:51 AM
    The Priv launched late October 2015 and it wasn't released on Verizon til early March 2016. Hopefully they will not repeat that mistake if they're serious about bringing BlackBerry back.
    02-01-17 10:04 AM
    why would you have him ditch a service that has better coverage than the others? i could never switch from VZW because where i live in NY the other carriers don't have the coverage.
    02-01-17 10:10 AM
    I'd wait for the official announcement. If you can wait at least a bit longer, you'll either avoid regret of missing out on the Mercury or you'll be able to score a better deal on a Priv.
    02-01-17 10:10 AM
    The Priv launched late October 2015 and it wasn't released on Verizon til early March 2016. Hopefully they will not repeat that mistake if they're serious about bringing BlackBerry back.
    Last Carrier to get it, and last Carrier to sell it.
    02-01-17 10:43 AM
60 123