What do you folks recommend...

I've used the traditional BB (physical keyboard only) since 2002.

1: get the Priv - my carrier is offering it to me at a ridiculous price ($99.99) to keep me as a customer

2: wait for the "Rome" - from what I understand, this will be the next phone BB releases, and it will have a traditional (fixed physical) keyboard. Should note: I prefer the fixed physical keyboard, but I worry that it won't be released for a few months (?). I also don't have any other info on it.

Any rec?

Thanks,
    Joe
    09-20-16 10:26 AM
    Get the Priv! And see if Rome very good you can sell the priv
    09-20-16 10:27 AM

1: get the Priv - my carrier is offering it to me at a ridiculous price ($99.99) to keep me as a customer

2: wait for the "Rome" - from what I understand, this will be the next phone BB releases, and it will have a traditional (fixed physical) keyboard. Should note: I prefer the fixed physical keyboard, but I worry that it won't be released for a few months (?). I also don't have any other info on it.

Any rec?

Thanks,
    Joe
    As of what BlackBerry has said, Rome is still 6 months away (February 2017)
    Decide accordingly
    As usman said you could always sell the priv later on

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-20-16 10:47 AM
    My thoughts: I like the Priv, and as it's a top end phone would expect it to have similar specs to the Rome. Maybe.

I too can get a Priv now for roughly the same cost I'll pay for a Rome in February.

Only thing holding me back is the thought of dropping that sliding keyboard unit- they are simply not as strong.

I suspect I'll make up my mind in December just before Whatsapp goes- it's either hang on with radio silence and pray that Blackberry does deliver in February- or jump the gun and get a Priv.

I think Blackberry has done us a diservice by pushing the next VKB (DTEK 60?) before the replacement PKB. It really has left us nowhere to turn to.
    09-22-16 08:26 AM
    Dude, keyboard on the PRIV blows, absolutely blows. It's the same small size keys as the torch. If you have fat fingers, you're gonna hate your life with the PRIV guy. Don't take my word for it, go find a store with a display model and try it out.

Posted via Commodore 64
    09-22-16 09:54 AM
    09-22-16 11:07 AM

Any rec?

Thanks,
    Joe
    What carrier? If you are with verizon they aren't updating the priv from what I hear. And it is still running lollipop. If you are going to get a priv on vzw, you might as well be buying a bb10 phone.

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    09-24-16 12:12 AM
    I like everything about the Priv...except the keyboard....just too small and cramped for me...I may try the Dtek 60 when released to replace my Passport...maybe...I love my keyboard but Blackberry VKB is good...I could adapt

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    09-24-16 12:37 AM
    What carrier? If you are with verizon they aren't updating the priv from what I hear. And it is still running lollipop. If you are going to get a priv on vzw, you might as well be buying a bb10 phone.
    Given the number of FCC complaints being filed against Verizon for the delay, and how easy it is for Verizon to make small changes to Blackberry's updater, it seems likely Verizon will issue the Marshmallow release at some point.
    09-24-16 02:48 AM
    I suspect I'll make up my mind in December just before Whatsapp goes- it's either hang on with radio silence and pray that Blackberry does deliver in February- or jump the gun and get a Priv.
    If Whatapp is the main factor in whether you can wait for the Rome, why not just get a temporary extra, small phone for Whatapp for December through February? You can buy a cheap Android for $20 and equally cheap MVNO service from Net10, Tracfone, H2O and the like for $15/month for basic data.
    09-24-16 02:51 AM
    $15 smartphone sounds nice.

I want to keep my number & contract, have a sweet international call package on it.

I'm pondering getting a tablet (android) with calling capabilities as a stopgap; as well built as it is my playbook can't go on forever; this would keep me going on Whatsapp until the Rome comes out, and then become a utility/ home tablet.
    09-27-16 12:04 PM
    Dude, keyboard on the PRIV blows, absolutely blows. It's the same small size keys as the torch. If you have fat fingers, you're gonna hate your life with the PRIV guy. Don't take my word for it, go find a store with a display model and try it out.

Posted via Commodore 64
    Yeah, I feel like waiting for mercury/rome because of the better PKB, but I get a new phone every christmas because of a deal with my carrier, sooooooo rip me 😂

Posted via my Galaxy S3 (Waiting for the Mercury!)
    10-01-16 09:40 AM

Posted via Commodore 64
    The keyboard on the Priv is not the same size as the Torch. Yes, the keyboard is smaller and the keys have less travel than a Passport or Classic, but the keys are about the same size as those on the Q10. If you're used to classic BlackBerry keyboards it will take some getting used to, but after a week or so I became as fast as a typist on my Priv as I was on my Q10.

We also don't know when this new keyboard phone will be released. A Priv for $99 is a steal.

Posted via the BlackBerry slider
    10-01-16 11:14 AM
    The keyboard on the Priv is not the same size as the Torch. Yes, the keyboard is smaller and the keys have less travel than a Passport or Classic, but the keys are about the same size as those on the Q10. If you're used to classic BlackBerry keyboards it will take some getting used to, but after a week or so I became as fast as a typist on my Priv as I was on my Q10.

We also don't know when this new keyboard phone will be released. A Priv for $99 is a steal.

Posted via the BlackBerry slider
    Where are they selling $99 Privs?

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 12:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Read the first post.
    10-05-16 08:42 PM
    Well, not saying this will make your decision, but at least now we know it's definitely coming out. Good luck with your decision. If the Priv is offered with no monthly payments on it or anything, I would get that, then sell it once the Mercury comes out and use the money you get from that to buy it...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-05-16 10:54 PM
    Well, not saying this will make your decision, but at least now we know it's definitely coming out. Good luck with your decision. If the Priv is offered with no monthly payments on it or anything, I would get that, then sell it once the Mercury comes out and use the money you get from that to buy it...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    This ^

 PASSPORT 
    10-05-16 11:10 PM
    Read the first post.
    oh, they're offering it outright and not subsidized? op would be a fool not to take it unless he actually wants to drop Verizon. but it sounds like it'd be attached to a contract agreement.

and the Rome will be GSM only undoubtedly.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 07:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    X2 - all I see the OP saying is that their carrier is offering it to them for $99. I don't see any mention of who that carrier actually is unless I'm missing something. Frankly, you can get them for around $300 (give or take) if you shop around on Amazon and eBay - the price on the Priv is fluctuating on a weekly basis. I'm probably still going to end up with a Passport, especially since they are on sale on numerous sites right now for $199 brand new.
    10-06-16 06:57 PM
    Getting a samsung S6 as a project phone on a new medium term assignment- which will bridge my whatsapp crisis beautifully, nmeaning I can hang on til Feb/Mar for the Rome. Yippee!

$15 smartphone sounds nice.

I want to keep my number & contract, have a sweet international call package on it.

I'm pondering getting a tablet (android) with calling capabilities as a stopgap; as well built as it is my playbook can't go on forever; this would keep me going on Whatsapp until the Rome comes out, and then become a utility/ home tablet.
    10-12-16 08:17 AM

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    A priv on lollipop is hardly a Bb10 phone. It's true verizon hasn't been updating them and it's a crock but it's still miles better than outdated bb10. I wouldn't say that if bb10 was current but it ain't so.....
    10-12-16 08:52 AM
    Wait for the Rome. Hope it's worth the wait..

Posted via CB10
    10-12-16 02:15 PM