Since there's lots of unrest in these forums....about the KeyOne.

Is it worth skipping the KeyOne and holding tight and see what other keyboard TCL/BlackBerry Mobile release. Perhaps the 2018 "KeyTwo" will have a minimum of snapdragon 835 in it?

What does everybody think?
    02-28-17 03:20 AM
    If you are not keen to get the K1 on release (due to specs/price etc) then I would suggest that you wait a few months (say 6-12) and get it when it is reduced in price.

There is no guarantee that another PKB device will be released in 2018. Even if there were a new one, what is to say that folks would then be saying the SD835 is old hat for what should be in a K2 device.

FWIW, I feel that such intense processors (835 etc) are wrong for such a device. Those intense processors are prime for graphic intensive games and VR. The K1 is not designed for either of those things (screen aspect ratio, smaller screen size, PKB in the way while in landscape). If gaming and VR are what people want to do then a glass slab with best processor would be much more suitable for them. The SD625 type processor is perfect for this type of device. It is powerful (yes it is powerful, just not ‘super’ powerful) and as bonus it is low on battery use. If a K2 is ever made I would say an appropriate chip would be the successor to the 625 (626, 635 or whatever it may be).

I do not understand why people would like an 835 in the K1 (apart from the argument that for it's current price a more expensive processor should be in it. Though I would argue that 625 is perfect, and price should reflect that processor, i.e. K1 should be between £50-100 cheaper on release). To me it is like getting a PC with an intel i7 processor and nvidia 1080 ti graphics card just so that you can browse the net, have tons of programs open at once, watch lots of youtube, send emails and play games such as candy crush/pokemon go/angry birds. An i5 without a dedicated graphics card could handle all that without even starting to get warm!
    zensen, raqball, tp2386 and 4 others like this.
    02-28-17 03:56 AM
    I'll wait for KEY3
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    02-28-17 04:21 AM
    There's always something better on the horizon. It's about whether or not the specs + price match up to what you want to get out of a smartphone.

For me personally, it's going to do everything I want and more.

It's not going to be a VR daydream smartphone nor will it have the biggest and high res screen but that's not something I necessarily need.

For example battery life, the camera, the PKB, FM radio and RGB led is making this decision easier for me. I also appreciate the larger screen in comparison to my classic.

I also like that's it the last in house BlackBerry design.

Is there going to be KEYtwo? Sounds like there's room for it... it could possibly have the 835 or the latest and greatest at a higher cost. It could be another mid range cpu with awesome battery life enhancements... but you'd expect the sales of the KEYone to help shape the series...

When? No idea. Worth waiting for? Only you know the answer, I know what my answer would be.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zensen; 02-28-17 at 05:02 AM.
    ominaxe likes this.
    02-28-17 04:50 AM
    Rather wait for Key500! Just kidding. Why don't you get the KEYone NOW and the KEYtwo once it's available?
    anon(8050899) and Pez1983 like this.
    02-28-17 05:25 AM
    If not enough people purchase a KEYone, then there may not be a KEYtwo.
    ominaxe and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    02-28-17 05:40 AM
    I'll wait for KEY3
    Why?
    02-28-17 06:00 AM
    Odds are the KEYtwo will be a lower end device.
    02-28-17 06:20 AM
    If not enough people purchase a KEYone, then there may not be a KEYtwo.
    While true, but it's also important to vote with your wallet and tell them that it's not OK to put midrange specs in a high end price.
    02-28-17 06:27 AM
    These threads are always funny. OP like most others posting in here if I were you I would wait for the K3. But seriously do you want the phone or not? If you dont then dont get it.
    raseru03 likes this.
    02-28-17 06:32 AM
    Depends what you use right now, with my BB10 classic I can't wait for another week let alone years hoping they make another pkb.
    02-28-17 10:24 AM
    Since there's lots of unrest in these forums....about the KeyOne.

Is it worth skipping the KeyOne and holding tight and see what other keyboard TCL/BlackBerry Mobile release. Perhaps the 2018 "KeyTwo" will have a minimum of snapdragon 835 in it?

What does everybody think?
    I think the next one would be a budget phone actually. What exactly will you do with a 835 in a keyboard phone? Do VR where one eye just sees a keyboard?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    02-28-17 10:31 AM
    While true, but it's also important to vote with your wallet and tell them that it's not OK to put midrange specs in a high end price.
    Not really actually. Steve Cistulli said specifically that the planed upcoming devices will not depend on the success of the KEYone.

02-28-17 10:32 AM
    Not really actually. Steve Cistulli said specifically that the planed upcoming devices will not depend on the success of the KEYone.

I think the question was more for if there will ever be PKB devices planned again, rather than the pipeline.
    02-28-17 10:42 AM
    It's true. They might look at the success of the KeyOne before making another pkb
    02-28-17 04:50 PM
    It's true. They might look at the success of the KeyOne before making another pkb
    KEYone*

Posted with my  Classic
    02-28-17 04:58 PM
    In my recollection in the past 10 years there has only been one"2" that is the Storm 2. Maybe two, did the att Torch slider have a 2?
    02-28-17 05:39 PM
    Don't bet on another PKB phone ever again unless by some miracle KEYone gets hot. TCL didn't design KEYone, it's defunct Blackberry hardware team that designed Vienna which got reskined and then became Mercury. I doubt TCL has any know-how or time or money to waste to design anything but slabs.

Also horrible DTEK phone name is no more. New slab will carry new name.
    02-28-17 06:04 PM
    Personally I don't think there will be a keytwo, unless the keyone does really good. You can expect them to drop money making the 2nd version if no one buys the first. I like it and will buy it but a lot of people are writing the phone off before its even released for some would say pointless reasons.
    02-28-17 06:30 PM
    It's worth noting that this is the last device designed by BlackBerry. I'd count that their prolonged, refined design will probably best anything TCL puts together.
    02-28-17 06:58 PM
    True, KEYone has taken ages to be released, another pkb may take 2 years+
    03-03-17 06:14 PM
    True, KEYone has taken ages to be released, another pkb may take 2 years+
    Correction, it took ages for BB to release it, but TCL only a little while after taking over the development, manufacturing, and sale of the phones to get it out. TCL reps have hinted that we may see another as early as before the year's end or at the latest next year...

Look at the Indonesian phone being made by that other company with the long name. I think we need to get used to the fact that BB is the only company that is so horribly inefficient at releasing phones. It will likely be much better under TCL.
    03-03-17 06:20 PM
    Absolutely get the KEYone! We want to see a KEYtwo right? Ha ha.

Honestly, I think people are going to be more than happy with this device as a daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 06:26 PM
    Correction, it took ages for BB to release it, but TCL only a little while after taking over the development, manufacturing, and sale of the phones to get it out. TCL reps have hinted that we may see another as early as before the year's end or at the latest next year...

Look at the Indonesian phone. I think we need to get used to the fact that BB is the only company that is so horribly inefficient at releasing phones. It will likely be much better under TCL.
    Yes, KEYone should have out at the same time as the priv.

Hmm, but didn't BlackBerry design and engineer the KEYone? Probably why it so quick. Bur remember this phone was announced in January at CES, but not in stores. I really hope it's early April, any later and that's like a half a year wait.

We might see another keyboard phone before 2018?

Can someone state the exact difference in release dates between DTEK 50 & Dtek 60? I would've been mad if I bought the 50 and then found out the 60 was around the corner.
    03-03-17 06:27 PM
    Yes, KEYone should have out at the same time as the priv.

Hmm, but didn't BlackBerry design and engineer the KEYone? Probably why it so quick. Bur remember this phone was announced in January at CES, but not in stores. I really hope it's early April, any later and that's like a half a year wait.

We might see another keyboard phone before 2018?

Can someone state the exact difference in release dates between DTEK 50 & Dtek 60? I would've been mad if I bought the 50 and then found out the 60 was around the corner.
    Yes and no. There were many things that TCL changed about the design after taking over. And all of that was done in the matter of months, not years like it would have been under BB's management. Remember that the 625 isn't really that old of a CPU, when it was still being developed by BB it likely had something else under the hood.
    03-03-17 06:50 PM
41 12