Hello all,

I am new to CrackBerry, but been a recent Fan of BB. I have only ever owned the Q10 and Classic. I was late to BB as I was a die hard Nokia fan (my last phone was the Nokia E5-00, QWERTY phone)

I have always purchased my BB's on pre-order, and I was one of the lucky ones who was able to get to Selfridges in the UK. When I purchased the phone on 29-May, I was told I had one of the last 10 left in their stock. I wanted to tell you all this small history so you understand I am now a die hard fan of BB, I will prob use and purchase these QWERTY keyboard phones until they STOP making them.

I was forced to purchase an iPhone (SE) in Dec 2016 when WhatApp decided to stop supporting BB OS, so I write these frustrations having recently owned and used an iPhone too. This is my first Android ever so any guidance you can provide would be great.

In no particular order

1. The keyboard touch navigation feature does NOT work on all websites and Apps
    2. The Physical Keyboard does NOT always work when you would expect it to. For example you open Chrome and start typing on the Search page and NOTHING happens! you have to use your finger to touch into the search bar.
    3. When holding the phone if parts of your fingers touch the edge of the slightly curved glass it makes the screen scroll up an down in small increments and makes it look like its "jumping"
    4. Maybe this is an Andriod thing, but when you open the Phone App, you have to touch and phone dial icon in order to open the number pad, When you open the Phone app for the first time the Physical KeyBoard DOES NOT WORK, you have to touch into the search.
    5. Why oh why does clicking any of the keys NOT activate or wake up the phone. I am use to using my phones as a watch. You have to double tap or use the side power buttons to wake it up.
    6. Call me old school, dinosaur if you will but I really really miss the physical buttons for dialing and dropping a call (Green/Red phone buttons). I find it odd that the designers left space for 3 permanent icons on the glass yes did not put the dial/drop call buttons on there. They have the space.
    7. The convenience key is in a rather inconvenient place. It keeps getting pressed when handling the phone.
    8. I find the phone is about 5mm too tall, and with space the keyboard takes up I find it annoying to to use one hand to navigate certain apps/websites.
    9. The phone is difficult to use with one hand, my fingers are NOT long enough to touch the top part of the screen while holding the phone in a natural way (end up having to use two hands)
    10. Related to other Physical Keyboard issues, the phone does not behave the way you expect it too. For example you open the SMS app, the Keyboard does NOTHING until you touch the seach button or touch a message.
    11. Wifi Calling is not enabled on Vodafone UK as yet.

I remember reading somewhere that Crackberry will or is the official TCL forum area for this phone? If so I hope they read this, as I really want the next iteration of this phone to be better. I am happy and glad TCL released this phone, but please DO not make the same mistakes Nokia and RIM did, please listen to your users and work with us to make it better.

Thank you and look forward to some healthy discussions.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-09-17 12:01 PM
    TCL must consider all issue and rectify.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-17 12:33 PM
    Well....

1. Works for me on all the apps i have installed.

2. Alt-D

3. Have not experienced that

4. Always been that way. Use the convenience key to bring you directly to dial pad if that is what you need. When in dial pad pkb numbers work for me.

5. Click the space bar. Phone will unlock right away if you are using fingerprint

6. Buttons are gone. Never was there to begin with so i Don't get the frustration

7. If you say so

8. Are you sure its not just 4mm to tall or maybe 6

9. it's a tall phone for sure.

10. Android

11. carrier dependant. Talk to vodafone.
    05-09-17 12:39 PM
    Most of your frustrations are valid ones but its actual a problem of Android rather than the KEYone. You see Android was not built keeping a keyboard in mind. And BlackBerry does not have that kind of access into the software to completely change how it reacts to PKBs. unfortunately nothing can happen to most of them as of now.
    Give it time you will just get used to it.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-17 01:04 PM
    Welcome to the forums, The_Q. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Hopefully some of your major issues get rectified in future updates. I won't comment on all of your gripes, but I'll agree that i wish i had some physical buttons (toolbelt), as well - just not sure it will ever happen. As far as pressing any key to activate the phone, that would actually be really annoying for me. When the phone is in my pocket, i don't want to be wasting battery by constantly waking the phone with accidental button presses. Perhaps an option to turn this on or off would work.
    bvinceb and FF22 like this.
    05-09-17 01:15 PM
    1. Android - the system was built for touch not QWERTY so choose apps that work with the physical keyboard
    2. See 1
    3. Does not happen with mine
    4. Good point, should be an option to just go to dial pad. You can get another dialer app that'll do this
    5. Space turns the phone on or double-tap on the screen to turn the screen on
    6. Agreed that the area should change to context-aware depending on what app you're in rather than being fixed to the android keys at least have some flexibility to change them
    7. Make it do nothing at that point
    8. Phone height is perfect
    9. No problem using with 1 hand - try an LG V20 or something or Pixel XL - now that's hard to use with 1 hand
    10. Get another SMS app - Textra
    bvinceb likes this.
    05-09-17 01:42 PM
    I don't have my KEYone yet to check these things, BUT I will once I get it. HOWEVER I know BlackBerry Mobile is VERY open to hearing our opinions etc. I'm sure the BB Mobile Support rep will eventually chime here here too! @BlackBerry Mobile
    05-09-17 02:10 PM
    Hello all,

I am new to CrackBerry, but been a recent Fan of BB. I have only ever owned the Q10 and Classic. I was late to BB as I was a die hard Nokia fan (my last phone was the Nokia E5-00, QWERTY phone)

I have always purchased my BB's on pre-order, and I was one of the lucky ones who was able to get to Selfridges in the UK. When I purchased the phone on 29-May, I was told I had one of the last 10 left in their stock. I wanted to tell you all this small history so you understand I am now a die hard fan of BB, I will prob use and purchase these QWERTY keyboard phones until they STOP making them.

I was forced to purchase an iPhone (SE) in Dec 2016 when WhatApp decided to stop supporting BB OS, so I write these frustrations having recently owned and used an iPhone too. This is my first Android ever so any guidance you can provide would be great.

In no particular order

2. The Physical Keyboard does NOT always work when you would expect it to. For example you open Chrome and start typing on the Search page and NOTHING happens! you have to use your finger to touch into the search bar.
    3. When holding the phone if parts of your fingers touch the edge of the slightly curved glass it makes the screen scroll up an down in small increments and makes it look like its "jumping"
    4. Maybe this is an Andriod thing, but when you open the Phone App, you have to touch and phone dial icon in order to open the number pad, When you open the Phone app for the first time the Physical KeyBoard DOES NOT WORK, you have to touch into the search.
    5. Why oh why does clicking any of the keys NOT activate or wake up the phone. I am use to using my phones as a watch. You have to double tap or use the side power buttons to wake it up.
    6. Call me old school, dinosaur if you will but I really really miss the physical buttons for dialing and dropping a call (Green/Red phone buttons). I find it odd that the designers left space for 3 permanent icons on the glass yes did not put the dial/drop call buttons on there. They have the space.
    7. The convenience key is in a rather inconvenient place. It keeps getting pressed when handling the phone.
    8. I find the phone is about 5mm too tall, and with space the keyboard takes up I find it annoying to to use one hand to navigate certain apps/websites.
    9. The phone is difficult to use with one hand, my fingers are NOT long enough to touch the top part of the screen while holding the phone in a natural way (end up having to use two hands)
    10. Related to other Physical Keyboard issues, the phone does not behave the way you expect it too. For example you open the SMS app, the Keyboard does NOTHING until you touch the seach button or touch a message.

I remember reading somewhere that Crackberry will or is the official TCL forum area for this phone? If so I hope they read this, as I really want the next iteration of this phone to be better. I am happy and glad TCL released this phone, but please DO not make the same mistakes Nokia and RIM did, please listen to your users and work with us to make it better.

EE is not supporting the KEYone and no wifi calling on EE for KEYone.

It looks like EE have abandoned BlackBerry.

Priv has wifi calling me so I don't know it's not on the KEYone.
    Tony Hancock likes this.
    05-09-17 03:12 PM
    Welcome to CB. I don't have a KEYᵒⁿᵉ yet, but have the PRIV. The PRIV has a similar PKB. I have had it almost since launch. I remember wondering about the dial pad issue. I have gotten used to it the way it is but would like the option you mention. Regarding the KEYᵒⁿᵉ height, the PRIV, when extended, is quite a bit taller than the KEYᵒⁿᵉ and I use the PKB almost exclusively for typing. So for me the KEYᵒⁿᵉ will be shorter than what I am used to using. I will wait to see whether or not the height will be missed. The issue here is screen real-estate. I like the large, roomy screen on the PRIV. I will not go into the other items because I don't have the KEYᵒⁿᵉ and it is likely that it behaves differently than the PRIV in a number of ways. It is on Nougat and the PRIV is still on Marshmallow so some things are going to be different for that reason, too. I do know that the PRIV improved with software updates. All the best with learning your way around on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    05-09-17 03:39 PM
    Hello all,

In no particular order

We're listening closely here on this support forum. While the software piece is handled by our partners at BlackBerry - this feedback in invaluable to us as we look to build out our BlackBerry Android device portfolio.

Thanks for your loyalty to the BlackBerry brand and we hope you're still enjoying your KEYone.

Some suggestions would be: If you long press on your homescreen in a blank area and enter the BlackBerry Launcher settings you can assign a Typing Action and start a search without even having to launch chrome or tap the search bar.

For calls, we'd suggest setting frequently contacted people to speed dials on a keyboard shortcut so you don't have to tap around and input numbers.

As Android and IOS are designed for touch input there's only so much that can be done to override some of the OS underpinnings. We think you'd find the discussion on the last CrackBerry podcast very insightful as it addresses some of the same quirks you've mentioned in this thread.

You can find that podcast by tapping here: BlackBerry KEYone Podcast, featuring Android Central, MrMobile, CrackBerry Kevin & Bla1ze! [Must Listen Show!] | CrackBerry.com
    05-09-17 03:42 PM
    05-09-17 07:42 PM
    We're listening closely here on this support forum. While the software piece is handled by our partners at BlackBerry - this feedback in invaluable to us as we look to build out our BlackBerry Android device portfolio.

Thanks for your loyalty to the BlackBerry brand and we hope you're still enjoying your KEYone.

Some suggestions would be: If you long press on your homescreen in a blank area and enter the BlackBerry Launcher settings you can assign a Typing Action and start a search without even having to launch chrome or tap the search bar.

For calls, we'd suggest setting frequently contacted people to speed dials on a keyboard shortcut so you don't have to tap around and input numbers.

As Android and IOS are designed for touch input there's only so much that can be done to override some of the OS underpinnings. We think you'd find the discussion on the last CrackBerry podcast very insightful as it addresses some of the same quirks you've mentioned in this thread.

You can find that podcast by tapping here: BlackBerry KEYone Podcast, featuring Android Central, MrMobile, CrackBerry Kevin & Bla1ze! [Must Listen Show!] | CrackBerry.com
    Great to see you around here!
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    MatthiasHannover likes this.
    05-09-17 10:06 PM
    I agree with every word.
    05-10-17 12:31 PM
    Look in your shortcuts for dial pad. Problem sorted. Well one of them anyway
    05-10-17 05:24 PM
    I don't have my KEYone yet to check these things, BUT I will once I get it. HOWEVER I know BlackBerry Mobile is VERY open to hearing our opinions etc. I'm sure the BB Mobile Support rep will eventually chime here here too! @BlackBerry Mobile
    from my old experience with BB.. none of my comments were looked in , and even the replies from the BB help Rep are unsatisfactory. the main problem that BB don't have a real after sales service.
    05-11-17 03:33 AM
    from my old experience with BB.. none of my comments were looked in , and even the replies from the BB help Rep are unsatisfactory. the main problem that BB don't have a real after sales service.

You bought a Passport SE in the UAE 2016 (two year old design), after BlackBerry went into "commitment" mode and were unhappy because they didn't "clearly" explain that it was over for BB10. Sorry the message was there, you just didn't want to listen.

Anyway BlackBerry Mobile is not.... the BlackBerry of the past. I'm not saying things will be better, especially in markets where they aren't officially selling a product. Just that it is a different company in charge now.
    pkcable likes this.
    05-11-17 08:17 AM
    You bought a Passport SE in the UAE 2016 (two year old design), after BlackBerry went into "commitment" mode and were unhappy because they didn't "clearly" explain that it was over for BB10. Sorry the message was there, you just didn't want to listen.

Anyway BlackBerry Mobile is not.... the BlackBerry of the past. I'm not saying things will be better, especially in markets where they aren't officially selling a product. Just that it is a different company in charge now.
    Let me correct your information my first passport SEHA was purchased in 2015. And the second was in 2016.

AND you ignored that my first BB device was purchased in 2008.

All I need to say,that customer should need read in between the lines..BB kept the loyal customer to live
    With romurs and nothing for sure.

And finally , you need to know that I made a pre-order for the Keyone , and my comments were to express
    The sad situation of the service from BB ( we still buy blackberry phones, not others).
    05-11-17 08:52 AM
    OP, this browser might interest you:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ange.bbbrowser
    pkcable and James Nieves like this.
    05-11-17 09:01 AM
    As others have said this is NOT the same BlackBerry. BlackBerry Mobile makers of the KEYone, is a company owned and run by TCL, and is separate from BlackBerry, formerly known as RIM, which JUST makes the software. I have personally spoken to high level BlackBerry Mobile and TCL employees and they seemed to be VERY interested in customer feedback and in a desire to listen to the BB Community via CrackBerry. Having a dedicated employee right here on the forums is just a part of it. Additionally I'm sure they have many more viewing and reviewing, AND of course you have CrackBerry volunteers, Mods, Ambassadors, Q&A Team and Champions (Anyone want to apply to be the KEYone Champion? lol) helping too!

Please reserve judgement give BlackBerry Mobile a chance!
    AmritD likes this.
    05-11-17 10:19 AM
    thx BBM. be fair to BB, CB site never be a support site for BB, they had their own. if you posting question on CB, you might not get official answer for your BB device, based on my understanding.
    05-11-17 11:14 AM
    I also got the Selfridges keyone and while im really happy with the device I can confirm that I was surprised by a few things and it seems like an incomplete product (just going by the improvements BlackBerry has made with updates over the years). I was expecting to know exactly how the phone would work and how I wanted to set it up because I spent a lot of time using BlackBerry marshmallow android before getting my hands on the keyone.*

The fingerprint scanner is really fast, learn to revolve around it. Double tap to wake and tapping the keys to wake is practically obsolete. Just run your fingers over the space key to wake the device. Hopefully they add a flip phone to lock the device feature soon. Until then the power button is the best option.*

The device certainly isn't too tall by todays standards. One of BlackBerry's qwerty's issues is they've been too short to do anything other than calling and emailing effectively. That said i'm not sure why the android toolbelt is physical and not integrated with the display. The display could be 10mm taller or the phone could be shorter, without changing the size of the device. That said it was sometimes annoying trying to quickly get out of full screen mode on the priv/xperia devices.

Re: the toolbelt: The power button can be used to hangup calls. I think its in settings/accessibility. Should be on by default *in my opinion.*Assign a phone and setting keyboard *shortcut that replaces the phone/ setting buttons on the toolbelt if you wish.*

The cursor thing is annoying but part of the android/ios compromise people need to make in order to have more apps.

Sounds like you're whining about something you just need time to get used to.*

Different isn't necessarily bad. Every device has quirks and takes some getting used to.*

Re the dialpad gripe. Just use the universal search by typing the numbers. From memory theres a dialpad shortcut option in the launcher. But it's pointless because the universal search recognises the same function as an instant action.

Hope that helps.
    pkcable likes this.
    05-12-17 06:51 PM
    thank you soooooooo much for the Alt-D tip for selecting search bars. you have no idea how happy this made me

Well....

1. Works for me on all the apps i have installed.

2. Alt-D

3. Have not experienced that

4. Always been that way. Use the convenience key to bring you directly to dial pad if that is what you need. When in dial pad pkb numbers work for me.

5. Click the space bar. Phone will unlock right away if you are using fingerprint

6. Buttons are gone. Never was there to begin with so i Don't get the frustration

7. If you say so

8. Are you sure its not just 4mm to tall or maybe 6

9. it's a tall phone for sure.

10. Android

11. carrier dependant. Talk to vodafone.
    06-16-17 02:03 AM
    Hello all,

Some comments I have to pass on regarding the KeyOne after using it for a few days which I think are purely software related:

1̶)̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶i̶c̶u̶l̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶p̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶w̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶t̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶.̶ ̶P̶r̶e̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶r̶o̶i̶d̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶p̶o̶n̶s̶i̶v̶e̶.̶ ̶ ̶ ̶

2̶)̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶P̶I̶N̶ ̶u̶n̶l̶o̶c̶k̶ ̶f̶e̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶l̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶l̶a̶g̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶u̶m̶b̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶m̶p̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶w̶a̶k̶e̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶g̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶b̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶n̶ ̶u̶n̶l̶o̶c̶k̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶s̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶u̶n̶t̶i̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶r̶e̶s̶s̶e̶d̶.̶

*Edit: I discovered that the above two problems appear to have been caused by a corrupted SD card. Seems to be as responsive as expected now that the card has been removed.

3) The fingerprint sensor is hit and miss for responsiveness. I do like that it can be used to wake up the phone but it seems to be intermittent. I think part of the problem is that if your finger/thumb is warm/cold it will respond differently (which is understandable). I have tried programming my right thumb twice to hope to improve the responsiveness under different conditions but the software appears to detect the thumbprint as being previously saved and cancels.

4) Having the power button on the left of the phone is odd (used to having it on the right). Maybe there could be a software patch which could allow users to switch the power and convenience buttons to the location of their preference.

Not all negative though. I am really enjoying the keyboard again after a four year hiatus. The programmable shortcuts are incredibly useful! I have almost every key programmed. Also, despite being a medium range processor the phone is certainly peppy enough for the my everyday use (email, text, and Internet browsing). Also, all the keyboard shortcuts are great. It will take some time to remember them all but they are already helpful. Swipe to type is easy and responsive and double tapping the keyboard to generate the cursor for scrolling through text is a welcome feature.
    Last edited by bduguay; 06-16-17 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Update after finding reason behind lag in wake up/unlock.
    06-16-17 07:46 AM
    Most of your frustrations are valid ones but its actual a problem of Android rather than the KEYone. You see Android was not built keeping a keyboard in mind. And BlackBerry does not have that kind of access into the software to completely change how it reacts to PKBs. unfortunately nothing can happen to most of them as of now.
    Give it time you will just get used to it.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed! Android especially nougat was not designed for an actual keyboard usage. You have to take that into mind. The behavior is not BBOS so there is a small learning curve on how android operates. Once you get over this initial hump youll love it eventhough its not the same behaviour as BBOS !)>
    06-16-17 11:56 AM
    I see this is an older thread but #5 do you want key presses in your pocket turning the screen on?
    06-16-17 01:04 PM
28 12