Please read the Smart Lock description more carefully. If you're at a trusted location with Smart Lock engaged, then no, your phone is not locked and will respond to any finger pressing the button.
    This could be what he is facing but what if this happens if there is no trust place setup?
    In most cases, problems like the one OP mentioned are 90% due to faulty use from the user side or misunderstanding what something does (not that this is the case).
    This needs to properly tested and verified that there is indeed a problem, there will always be corner cases like setting up 4 fingers or 10. I seriously doubt that BB made this kind of error especially since the issue is security related.
    There are a few good suggestion posted in this thread that need to be tried out by OP.
    05-17-17 02:43 PM
    Careful... He might give you the finger.
    His finger, if I would meet him.
    05-17-17 02:49 PM
    It sounds like the OP may be confused about how and when the phone is actually locked vs inactive but unlocked.

This is why we can't have universal strong security. Users generally are not sophisticated enough to manage their settings for the various tradeoffs between security and convenience.

If you don't believe me, try teaching your grandparents how to use a password manager!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    FF22 and DueNorthBB like this.
    05-17-17 03:10 PM
    The finger print sensor is worthless in terms of security.
    I expect nothing more of fingerprint readers on consumer devices, really. It's just a convenience, not security.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    05-17-17 03:14 PM
    Lol! This is User Error and now the anti-Finger Print Scanner Brigade is taking it as gospel, WOW!

The user is clearly using the Smart Lock feature and gas his home set as a Trusted Place, in these places the phone is unlocked but will still ask for Finger Print depending on how you want to unlock it for convenience.

Rather just turn off Smart Lock if you don't know what you are doing.
    05-17-17 03:27 PM
    Lol! This is User Error and now the anti-Finger Print Scanner Brigade is taking it as gospel, WOW!

The user is clearly using the Smart Lock feature and gas his home set as a Trusted Place, in these places the phone is unlocked but will still ask for Finger Print depending on how you want to unlock it for convenience.

Rather just turn off Smart Lock if you don't know what you are doing.
    Than, somebody or even google has do explain how this stuff is working. I mean: all together. The smart home, the fingerprint, the pin code, the picture code and everything. Is this security by obfuscation, or what?

This is not professionell. What about a clear two factor authentification and that's it.

But protect me against bull**** bingo of people who assume to know how everything is working. Really.
    05-17-17 03:34 PM
    Than, somebody or even google has do explain how this stuff is working. I mean: all together. The smart home, the fingerprint, the pin code, the picture code and everything. Is this security by obfuscation, or what?

This is not professionell. What about a clear two factor authentification and that's it.

But protect me against bull**** bingo of people who assume to know how everything is working. Really.
    Everything is THOROUGHLY explained when you set it up. If you do not understand it rather not play with it.

Smart Lock is a feature we've had in Android for years, in fact this is the first time in come across someone who has activated it without understanding what it does.
    05-17-17 03:36 PM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=x2EAS0Be

good explanation by Samsung.

Now how "smart" always having location services on is, I wouldn't dare to comment.

Just know that in my case home is to be considered as most unsafe with those little creatures walking around trying to steal the phone for watching movies or playing games:-)
    FF22 likes this.
    05-17-17 04:40 PM
    So if the phone is unlocked why does it still ask for a fingerprint? Don't you just have to swipe up on the screen?
    FF22 likes this.
    05-17-17 04:49 PM
    Fingerprint readers on phones are not real secure, they do a pretty good job of keeping tourists out, but thats about it.
    Do a search "how secure are phone fingerprint readers".

I could pretty consistently unlock my wifes previous iPhones with some of my fingers. Can't do it on the current versions.
    05-17-17 05:20 PM
    So if the phone is unlocked why does it still ask for a fingerprint? Don't you just have to swipe up on the screen?
    It doesn't ask for a fingerprint for Trusted zone. OP thought FP phone wake = unlock meant the FP authentication was active even tho he set home as trusted. Then he 'tested' it by repeatedly using FP and the OS doesn't have a separate dialog box for 'hey you set trusted no need to use FP' .
    05-17-17 05:29 PM
    I think that is not the truth. Why does it check my finger print five or more times and opens the phone after these checks? It must be a software issue.
    Could be software, or dirty/faulty sensor, or poorly saved fingerprints. Delete fingerprints in Settings and start over with new reads, and if you're encountering the same issue try disabling Smart Lock and then open your device.

This could be what he is facing but what if this happens if there is no trust place setup?
    In most cases, problems like the one OP mentioned are 90% due to faulty use from the user side or misunderstanding what something does (not that this is the case).
    This needs to properly tested and verified that there is indeed a problem, there will always be corner cases like setting up 4 fingers or 10. I seriously doubt that BB made this kind of error especially since it's the issue is security related.
    There are a few good suggestion posted in this thread that need to be tried out by OP.
    Bottom line, if there's any hardware problems it needs to be returned. But he's already said he's ​using Trusted Location with Smart Lock, so if he's trying to unlock an already unlocked device then of course it won't work as expected.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-17-17 05:37 PM
    there might be some confusion here, its not that the finger print reader isnt working, its that when the phone is unlocked and not requiring a password or fingerprint to get in, if you use your fingerprint to unlock, it open up instantly. whats going on is if you are using a wrong finger or not recognized finger, it says Not Recognized and on the 5th try, instead of saying too many failed attempts, it just opens up. if you do this when it requires a fingerprint, it works as designed and does not allow the user in.
    So maybe, if the phone is unlocked, using the FPS opens phone like Swipe Up works on Passport? Anyway I don't see this as a flaw at all, if the phone is in an Unlocked state, well of course whats the point of using the FPS???
    05-17-17 07:05 PM
    I locked my phone, tried it using my pinkie. It says too many attempts, try later.
    05-17-17 08:30 PM
    Can't reproduce. I have both thumbs and index fingers set up.

I don't make use of location based or smart device unlocking functionality. Moreover if I want to lock the device then I use 'K' to lock the device. It requires pin (or primary unlocking method) all the time.
    05-17-17 09:00 PM
    There is no issue here, OP is using his fingerprint when his phone is already unlocked.
    05-17-17 09:13 PM
    There is no issue here, OP is using his fingerprint when his phone is already unlocked.
    Pretty much. The use of a Trusted Location, Smart Lock and a lack of understanding is all that's happening here as far as I can tell.
    A Noise Annoys and DueNorthBB like this.
    05-17-17 11:16 PM
    What I have: I am at my trusted place (hone). So you mean: my phone is not locked, it is only in state off? I will try that in other situations and I will report the test results.
    Wow.

If you're in your trusted place then your phone isn't Security locked. It says it as you set up Smart Lock.

Just...wow.
    05-17-17 11:20 PM
    Could someone please change the title of this to "Smart Lock works as intended and keeps the phone unlocked in a Trusted Place"?
    05-18-17 01:38 AM
    Wow.

If you're in your trusted place then your phone isn't Security locked. It says it as you set up Smart Lock.

Just...wow.
    And why is a KEYᵒⁿᵉ issue? That's how Android works. You don't have to allow it. I don't use the feature, some people do.

Also Android clearly tells you how it works. You're telling the system to not lock in those situations.
    Adam Frix likes this.
    05-18-17 02:42 AM
    Pretty much. The use of a Trusted Location, Smart Lock and a lack of understanding is all that's happening here as far as I can tell.
    This x100. Nothing to see here folks.
    05-18-17 03:28 AM
    checkled few times.

but hey, fingerprint sensor is not for security. it is for convenience.
    05-18-17 03:55 AM
    Isn't this a common problem with FP scanners overall? I read that it was one of the reasons BB stayed away from them in the first place.
    05-19-17 07:28 AM
    Hello,

I just figured out that the fingerprint sensor recognizes everything.

I had 4 fingers configured and today I tried some other fingers (of myself) and nearly every finger unlocked my KEYone. You have to try it several times. After some tries the phone got unlocked.

Even more worse: I tried parts of my hand, where is no fingerprint and even that worked. So:

The finger print sensor is worthless in terms of security.

I am curious if someone else could reproduce that.

My best regards,

Matthias
    When you do this, is it fully locked, or just on the lock screen? I mean my priv lets me in without a password if it's not actually been fully locked at the point that I last put it down.
    05-19-17 07:58 AM
    Isn't this a common problem with FP scanners overall? I read that it was one of the reasons BB stayed away from them in the first place.
    No.
    05-19-17 08:32 AM
78 1234