Lows
    Physical keyboard feels a little cramped
    On the bulkier-end of phones
    Soft touch back didn’t feel high-end

You would think the keyboard would be the #1 priority, considering it's a BB Device, and the key trademark for BB is the Keyboard.
    Disappointing.

TLC actually thinks we prefer a finger print scanner over a well functioning keyboard.
    Mike Owsley likes this.
    01-07-17 06:38 AM
    Lows

You would think the keyboard would be the #1 priority, considering it's a BB Device, and the key trademark for BB is the Keyboard.
    Disappointing.

TLC actually thinks we prefer a finger print scanner over a well functioning keyboard.
    The review didn't say it wasn't well-functioning. It said the keyboard felt cramped. Perhaps they were used to the Passport or something.

This device is as large as it can get away with, so the keyboard size is what it is.
    app_Developer and Bbnivende like this.
    01-07-17 08:10 AM
    The review didn't say it wasn't well-functioning. It said the keyboard felt cramped. Perhaps they were used to the Passport or something.

This device is as large as it can get away with, so the keyboard size is what it is.
    Doubt it, more like those humongous on screen keyboards on a Note or something. Overall cons list sounds like someone used to a thin phablet.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    01-07-17 08:16 AM
    Doubt it, more like those humongous on screen keyboards on a Note or something. Overall cons list sounds like someone used to a thin phablet.
    True enough.
    01-07-17 08:18 AM
    Before anyone else continues to freak out about any "negative" reviews Mercury are getting, all I can say is:

DON'T THINK ABOUT IT. Here is exhibit A, from Digital Trends' video:

Digital Trends hands-on says.....-2017-01-07-09_23_02-blackberry-mercury_-our-first-take-youtube.png

It's clear evidence that they only have one device to pass around to all the bloggers, at most they have like 5-10 minutes to make a rushed video to post to onto YouTube so they can get an "exclusive" look and a few pictures. That's why nobody knew anything else beyond, as there is NOTHING to review.

You can't possibly get anything objective out of that short period of time, even when you are buying a phone from a carrier you spend a bit more time with the dummy, let alone trying to get used to a new physical keyboard. Even for me going from my Classic to my Priv took a bit of adjustment to muscle memory. Remember there were the same comments about the Priv's keyboards, but all the other ones that actually follow up say "they got used to the keyboard" and it's fine.
    xs27 likes this.
    01-07-17 08:30 AM
    Fair enough

Before anyone else continues to freak out about any "negative" reviews Mercury are getting, all I can say is:

DON'T THINK ABOUT IT. Here is exhibit A, from Digital Trends' video:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-07 09_23_02-Blackberry Mercury_ Our First Take - YouTube.png 
Views:	846 
Size:	452.1 KB 
ID:	415466

It's clear evidence that they only have one device to pass around to all the bloggers, at most they have like 5-10 minutes to make a rushed video to post to onto YouTube so they can get an "exclusive" look and a few pictures. That's why nobody knew anything else beyond, as there is NOTHING to review.

You can't possibly get anything objective out of that short period of time, even when you are buying a phone from a carrier you spend a bit more time with the dummy, let alone trying to get used to a new physical keyboard. Even for me going from my Classic to my Priv took a bit of adjustment to muscle memory. Remember there were the same comments about the Priv's keyboards, but all the other ones that actually follow up say "they got used to the keyboard" and it's fine.
    01-07-17 08:48 AM
    This isn't really a review. Most of the content is a rehashing of what's already available on other BlackBerry devices - public information.

The only real info that could only come from a hands-on is the keyboard comment (which is fairly meaningless since they only spent a few minutes with it) and the soft-touch back comment (which contradicts other commentators who said it felt nice).

This is pretty low-quality content from Digital Trends, which is usually fairly high quality.
    01-07-17 09:13 AM
    If it's the same cramped keyboard the Priv has, no thank you.
    JD_CB likes this.
    01-07-17 09:24 AM
    A bit of fun with photoshop.

The keyboards come out looking very similar.
    robertillo and lemanissier like this.
    01-07-17 10:14 AM
    This isn't really a review. Most of the content is a rehashing of what's already available on other BlackBerry devices - public information.

The only real info that could only come from a hands-on is the keyboard comment (which is fairly meaningless since they only spent a few minutes with it) and the soft-touch back comment (which contradicts other commentators who said it felt nice).

This is pretty low-quality content from Digital Trends, which is usually fairly high quality.
    I wouldn't even really call that real info, based on my explanation above.
    01-07-17 10:18 AM
    A bit of fun with photoshop.

The keyboards come out looking very similar.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017...e32e289f1e.jpg
    Shocked how many people have issues with the keyboard. I've had a ton of BlackBerry's and I believe all had a different keyboard and I adjusted to all within a week. To each his own, but I'd say if you can't jump from one pk to another, then maybe find a virtual keyboard that is an app that you can download from phone to phone.
    kitmo likes this.
    01-07-17 10:38 AM
    I don't find the keyboard on the priv cramped. It's a phone fr cryin outloud. It's not gonna be like typing on your computer or tablet
    01-07-17 11:12 AM
    You also have to remember that there are people out there 'reviewing' devices like this or getting a first look vid of something and they personally use an iphone, or s7, or op3, or v20..etc. Point is that even if they're not against a pkb, they more than most likely haven't used one in several years let alone daily to become proficient and they may just be used to a vkb, or something like swipe kb.

Personally I think TCL did a great job about creating buzz and getting people's attention and to get the word out. Sure some of us may feel slightly disappointed that we can't get more information or get our hands on it sooner, but let's be frank: this phone is actually going to make it to us in prob a little over a month.

I trust that TCL will do a good job cleaning up/refining the Merc alpha and giving it a polished look/feel/impression. They want and need this phone to do well just like BlackBerry and all of us.

One final thought: you ALWAYS have to take what anyone says with a grain of salt, simply because EVERYONE has their own little bit of bias. Personally I can't wait for the Mercury but that too has a little of my own bias in there. This might not be THE PHONE for anyone and everyone. So just because DT, or AA, or TB, or PC MAG had 10 minutes with the phone to shoot a 2 minute vid and they say this or that, doesn't necessarily mean squat. It's only good that they all had overall positive reaction so as to get people's attention.

 ßlackßerry PASSPORT 
    01-07-17 11:12 AM
    It looks a lot like the Q (or Classic) keyboard. I found the Priv to be less than nice in the KB department and was glad that I had the option of on-screen. With the Passport I didn't miss the on-screen option AT ALL. I'm ok with ONLY a hard PKB but it better be a good one.....
    01-07-17 12:03 PM
    I would not put much weight on a 3 minute first take video
    01-07-17 12:14 PM
    They just had to put something in the CON's section otherwise it'd be a perfect phone, and NO tech blog wants to say that about anything that doesnt have an Apple on the back.
    falbo likes this.
    01-07-17 12:20 PM
    Lows

Disappointing.

How's this possible?

Because Mr mobile and pocketnow said the keys were a bit larger than the priv,

That pkb is larger than all vkbs like if you did a size comparison, I don't really care what they think, this device was blackberry in house designed and still has 2 months to be perfected.
    01-07-17 12:22 PM
    Okay, might as well join the chorus - the top cross-piece looks as it was stamped on and does not look finished or part of a nice, smooth chassis.
    01-07-17 02:05 PM
    kind of looks more like a classic or q10 keyboard - either one would be great instead of the priv's keyboard.
    01-07-17 02:16 PM
    Title adjusted.. it's not a 'Review'. It's a hands-on with a device that has been noted as a pre-production unit MULTIPLE times.
    JOHNGAETANO likes this.
    01-07-17 03:40 PM
    Unless they were able to use a production until for a month I really don't care what anyone says right now. The unit is an alpha stage device and you can't give a review until it's your daily driver for at least a month.
    01-07-17 03:44 PM
    Didn't care for the PRIV for the same reason, however, that's primarily because I was accustomed to the Passport's (which also took some time after using the Z10). Going back to a pkb smaller than the Passport's will take some getting used to, but I figured if I could use one on the 9810, which I loved, I just might get used to the one on the Mercury.
    01-09-17 04:22 AM
    Title adjusted.. it's not a 'Review'. It's a hands-on with a device that has been noted as a pre-production unit MULTIPLE times.
    You're always so hard on us ='(

XD

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 05:28 AM
    You're always so hard on us ='(

XD

Posted via CB10
    Someone has to be.
    JOHNGAETANO likes this.
    01-09-17 01:56 PM
    Lows

Disappointing.

For the record 99% of the current smartphones have fingerprint scanners, and I'd guess at least 70% of people use them today. Most consumers do prefer them. It's a feature you wouldn't want to leave of a top tier device.
    01-09-17 03:12 PM
35 12