Back in the day when I used BB OS 7 (and 6!), BB had the wonderful Desktop Manager. I use Macintosh, and it integrated extremely well, even with iTunes. It did a GREAT job.

BB OS 10 had Link, I guess; I must have used it during the few months I tried OS 10, but I don't really remember. If I did try to use it, I don't remember it failing me, so I guess it was just as good as the older stuff.

As I await my KEYone, I have to ask: for the Android flavors, does BB have anything similar?
    04-22-17 02:03 PM
    Nope, like Zune, Palm Desktop/Hotsync, WMDC, etc, desktop-bound sync programs have largely gone the way of the dodo. Cloud syncing is in style now and if you want to sync an Android to your desktop directly, you're going to probably look into third-party solutions. I don't know any off the top of my head though.
    TGIS likes this.
    04-22-17 02:06 PM
    Nothing directly, no. BB recommends the cloud anyway.
    TGIS likes this.
    04-22-17 02:12 PM
    ... As I await my KEYone, I have to ask: for the Android flavors, does BB have anything similar?
    Desktop software is no longer needed with Cloud based email accounts, contacts, calendars, data backup, and storage options in both Android and IOS.

Google will backup your important Android settings and apps. Some apps can also backup their data to Google Drive.

Unlike BBOS and BB10 there are lots of options and choices. You just have to decide what works best for you.
    mbirth likes this.
    04-22-17 02:19 PM
    Backing up blackdroid sucks big time. Google backup only backs up over wifi, and there is no scheduling option. So that means that not only are you supposed to leave wifi on, you haven't got a clue when the backup will occur! I don't use wifi so that means I can't ever backup using Google, the BlackBerry preferred backup option.

Also, only certain stuff gets backed up, it's nowhere near as comprehensive as BlackBerry link, or BlackBerry desktop.
    Adam Frix and FF22 like this.
    04-22-17 04:19 PM
    Yay, the future!!

Anyway, anyone know of any 3rd party app that would allow me to backup and transfer all of my SMS/MMS messages over and not just like the last 1000 or whatever? I keep all of my texts and yes, I have gone back many years worth of texts to find info that I need, many times...
    04-22-17 04:29 PM
    If you don't care about text messages, why do you need any special desktop software? Just connect the device to your computer via USB and then open windows file Explorer and drag & drop the files over to your computer.
    04-22-17 04:41 PM
    Yay, the future!!

Anyway, anyone know of any 3rd party app that would allow me to backup and transfer all of my SMS/MMS messages over and not just like the last 1000 or whatever? ...
    There's Ultimate Backup but as I recall it will let you backup on BB10, but you can't use that same backup to restore on Android.

I expect the number of texts will also be an issue.
    04-22-17 04:42 PM
    Runisoft's android backup, Optimum Backup, does NOT restore:
    Attached Thumbnails Desktop software?-15306.jpg  
    04-22-17 05:19 PM
    04-22-17 05:20 PM
    Runisoft's android backup, Optimum Backup, does NOT restore:

So, what's the point of backing up if you can't restore with it. Not very "optimum" to me

Joel
    04-22-17 06:15 PM
    So, what's the point of backing up if you can't restore with it. Not very "optimum" to me

Joel
    It seems like it's good for archiving things on an external medium. If one dumps, say, 10,000 text messages to CSV files and saves them somewhere outside the phone, they're readable by external programs (Excel, etc) without clogging up the phone.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-22-17 06:23 PM
    If you don't care about text messages, why do you need any special desktop software? Just connect the device to your computer via USB and then open windows file Explorer and drag & drop the files over to your computer.
    LG has their Bridge utility, both Mac and PC. It handles manual software updates as well as backup and restore via cable. I've done both, Android cloud as well as LG Bridge--and LG Bridge for system backup and restore is hands down superior to the standard Android experience. Restore from Bridge, and EVERYTHING is there the way you last backed it up, passwords and texts and calls and everything--all the details that the Android cloud thing leaves behind.

I use SMS Backup to do texts/calls, but still the LG desktop solution is the way to go.

I remember liking the BB stuff in OS 7 days because it integrated with iTunes. That's another thing that's missing in the Android ecosystem, and even LG doesn't have a utility for iTunes integration. I wish they did.

So, I was hoping that BB would have fine tuned the Android experience for us. Apparently not.
    04-22-17 06:26 PM
    Yay, the future!!

Anyway, anyone know of any 3rd party app that would allow me to backup and transfer all of my SMS/MMS messages over and not just like the last 1000 or whatever? I keep all of my texts and yes, I have gone back many years worth of texts to find info that I need, many times...
    SMS Backup from Carbonite works:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...SBackupRestore

Lots of choices in the Play Store.
    04-22-17 06:27 PM
    It seems like it's good for archiving things on an external medium. If one dumps, say, 10,000 text messages to CSV files and saves them somewhere outside the phone, they're readable by external programs (Excel, etc) without clogging up the phone.
    Yeah. Dumped in some translatable format would be okay.

Joel
    04-22-17 06:29 PM

Does it work on a bb10 device?
    04-22-17 06:30 PM
    Does it work on a bb10 device?
    No, it's Android.
    04-22-17 06:31 PM
    No, it's Android.
    @slagman5 is coming from bb10 to blackdroid, I think .....
    04-22-17 06:34 PM
    Yeah. Dumped in some translatable format would be okay.

Joel
    Below are the features of Optimum Backup :

a) Export Contacts to VCF,HTML& CSV format.
    b) Export and Save all of your MMS images and Videos in DropBox.
    c) Export SMS,Call Logs,Settings and Playlists to HTML and CSV format.
    d) Export Calendar events into ical format.HTML and CSV export is also supported.
    e) Export the Photos,Videos and Chat History of WhatsApp.
    Not sure about e) but everything else is universal.
    04-22-17 06:37 PM
    There's Ultimate Backup but as I recall it will let you backup on BB10, but you can't use that same backup to restore on Android.

I expect the number of texts will also be an issue.
    With BB10, BB Link backs up all of them. :-(

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-22-17 06:38 PM

Would it back up from BB10 and restore to Android? That's the question. :-)

04-22-17 06:40 PM
    @slagman5 is coming from bb10 to blackdroid, I think .....
    Ah, yep, sorry for not being more specific. I am looking for a way to make my transition from BB10 to the KEYone. :-) Thanks for clarifying heavens1.

anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-22-17 06:42 PM
    @slagman5 another thing to consider is telephone history, mine didn't come over even though it was the same sim card.

The blackdroid telephone app is stock google android, AOSP apparently.

I've kept both my 9700 and my classic, cos they have my telephone and sms history.

Edit
    And, your bb10 sd card, if it's 64gb or over, and you want to use it on the K1, you'll need to use this app on card installation into device:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ackberry.exfat

So, make a copy of the card. 😀
    Last edited by Heavens1; 04-22-17 at 10:11 PM.
    04-22-17 07:19 PM
    @slagman5 another thing to consider is telephone history, mine didn't come over even though it was the same sim card.

I've kept both my 9700 and my classic, cos they have my telephone and sms history.

Edit
    And, your bb10 sim card, if it's 64gb or over, and you want to use it on the K1, you'll need to use this app on card installation into device:

So, make a copy of the card. ������
    Thanks. :-)
    04-22-17 07:55 PM

Edit
    And, your bb10 sim card, if it's 64gb or over, and you want to use it on the K1, you'll need to use this app on card installation into device:

So, make a copy of the card. 😀
    Thanks. :-)
    04-22-17 07:55 PM
30 12