I can't get over the fact that someone in the design team put a 2 MP FF camera on an 800$$$ Priv! Please post the name of the incompetent engineer here, and I hope he or she is no longer with the team. The person is partly responsible for horrible Priv sales in the US and around the world and might have cost few jobs at BlackBerry. The company has pumped out failed devices since BB10 launch, every single device has been a failure!!!! How many years or failed devices does it take before someone realizes that it's due to bad design, incompetent design decisions, lack of market research, out of touch with reality and market, Etc!!???

I have a feeling that similar mistakes will be made on upcoming phones. I pointed similar flaws on previous devices and none were fixed in production model. They were all failures. I hope there's someone at blackberry with some common sense that will follow my advice.

design flaws and recommendations :
    Get the plastic out and switch to aluminum or some other metal
    Higher MP for both cams. Get the camera close to iphone 6s quality
    Remove the grill and add finger print sensor. Sensor is stupd but consumers want it.
    For pkb, come up with new material that's not plastic like.
    Get away from too sharp edges
    Speed up start up
    Make phones lighter
    Need a fashion designer, girl preferably, on the design team
    Need multiple premium color choices

Please folks add more here. Thanks. My goal is to save the HW department and create shareholders value.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    05-20-16 09:14 AM
    I can't get over the fact that someone in the design team put a 2 MP FF camera on an 800$$$ Priv! Please post the name of the incompetent engineer here, and I hope he or she is no longer with the team.
    I am fairly sure that the Priv frontal camera had to be sacrificed due to the thinness and design of the slider. There was a dimension restraint trade-off there. Someone, I'm sure, will correct me if I am wrong.
    05-20-16 09:19 AM
    Brookie, every phone has constraints but why wasn't market/consumer requirement weighted higher in this trade-off? You don't sacrifice market requirement and work your design around COTS sensors. That's when the engineers are expected to come up with innovative ways to fit a higher MP camera. I understand that sometimes you have real constraints due to lower level components but in this case there was really no bounds. They could have used a higher mp camera and tweaked the design to fit it..

Posted via CB10
    05-20-16 09:32 AM
    Right or wrong, I just think the designers and BB as a whole just decided that the front camera was worth the sacrifice in the push to make a device for enterprise customers vs the consumer market. They are trying everything to fill that niche of PKB users. Gotta keep that phone thin and light. I have no idea if a camera housing was unable to be designed for the form factor picked out, but that is the impression I get. I definitely understand what you are saying.
    05-20-16 09:49 AM
    I am fairly sure that the Priv frontal camera had to be sacrificed due to the thinness and design of the slider. There was a dimension restraint trade-off there. Someone, I'm sure, will correct me if I am wrong.
    This is correct.

BlackBerry wanted to deliver a device that was relatively thin so people coming from other bands wouldn't think "wow this feels quite thick".

Unfortunately they have to sacrifice the front camera. Personally it doesn't bother me. I never use the FF camera.

If it makes you feel better, both the "Hamburg" and "Rome" have more space for this silly "selfie" camera which is why they have a 8mp camera with a F.2.2 Aperture.

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    05-20-16 02:10 PM
    This is correct.

BlackBerry wanted to deliver a device that was relatively thin so people coming from other bands wouldn't think "wow this feels quite thick".

Unfortunately they have to sacrifice the front camera. Personally it doesn't bother me. I never use the FF camera.

If it makes you feel better, both the "Hamburg" and "Rome" have more space for this silly "selfie" camera which is why they have a 8mp camera with a F.2.2 Aperture.

Yep, so people can add 2000 more photos of their own face to their collection. :-D

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-20-16 02:56 PM
    No reason why they couldn't fit a bigger camera in the chin. Only a third of it is being used for audio anyway (despite the size of the speaker grille).

Posted via CB10
    05-20-16 08:00 PM
    No reason why they couldn't fit a bigger camera in the chin. Only a third of it is being used for audio anyway (despite the size of the speaker grille).

Posted via CB10
    Have a look at the Dell XPS 13 or 15.

Instead of putting the webcam at the top of the screen where it's meant to be so it's more level with your face. They put it at the bottom of the screen since there was no space.

So now when you video chat friends, they looking at you at a big angle. Plus, it's not even in the middle, it's to the left.

What I'm trying to get at is, BlackBerry probably would have received a lot of backlash if they put the FF camera at the bottom. You would probably get a lot of your hand/arm in the picture while holding the phone.

Just my opinion.

05-21-16 12:50 AM
    Have a look at the Dell XPS 13 or 15.

Instead of putting the webcam at the top of the screen where it's meant to be so it's more level with your face. They put it at the bottom of the screen since there was no space.

So now when you video chat friends, they looking at you at a big angle. Plus, it's not even in the middle, it's to the left.

What I'm trying to get at is, BlackBerry probably would have received a lot of backlash if they put the FF camera at the bottom. You would probably get a lot of your hand/arm in the picture while holding the phone.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, I had thought of that myself, but I wonder what's worse. You can always flip your phone upside down to get the camera at the top in this situation...

I guess there's no elegant solution.

They should have just found a way to fit a 5mp shooter. "Impossible" because of thinness is an excuse that I don't buy at all. I think it was just some guy at the company said that selfies are stupid and not what BlackBerry is about, so they skimped in a very important place.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-16 07:15 AM
    Dear design team at BlackBerry. Looking forward to the awesome ROME. Please announce it already.

Posted via CB10
    phuoc likes this.
    05-21-16 08:29 AM
    Don't blame the engineers and designers!
    They will deliver what the marketing team ask for in their product specification. If it can't be done, the engineers will tell them so.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-16 11:05 AM