They can use it to advertise back to you and use it for other things like make actual technology better. But they can't use, sell or give your credentials, credit card or any other personal information to anyone or other organizations unless its anonymous. Same rules apply to all organizations including banks, stores etc. This is no different...
    I understand that and should have provided more detail. My point was that many here post concerns regarding the practices of Google and Facebook regarding data mining. If you do not use those services for those reasons, you will not be immune to this type of data collection once the Internet privacy regulations are rolled back even if you don't use those web pages. Now, we cannot even avoid being a data point from our ISPS, and without our consent.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-17 12:07 PM
    The thread has gotten a little off topic... I'll try to answer the OP's question.

I come from BB background and used Android devices for about 9 years straight (both rooted and vanilla) and I recently emigrated back to a BB Passport SE.

You cannot "uninstall' core Google apps, at least not on the BB Android ROM. As others have mentioned, you can disable them.

At the core of what you are asking... you CAN use any android device without a Google account (including the Play Store). There is an alternate app for almost every core Google app.

I'm currently testing out something on an old Moto X (1st gen, locked and not rooted). I didn't want to sign in with my Google account but still needed to use some apps. I started with downloading Aptoide (Google Play Store alternative) and I manually located Google Play Services APK to update it as another app required an updated version. I have also installed Orfox as a Chrome browser alternative. You get the point... This device is Google account free and I'm running it like a normal device.

There are many great articles on Google app alternatives including e-mail, text, photos, maps, calendar, calculator, contacts, docs, AI search, voice search, music search, games, ebooks, etc.

Now... none of this means that Google doesn't know what you are using this phone. You are obviously still operating in their ecosystem (Android) but this greatly limits their view into your "stuff".

As a long time user within the Android ecosystem, I recently made the transition off of Google services. It's tough but not impossible.

Hope that helps.
    Rodrigo Lourenco likes this.
    03-30-17 01:08 PM
    Anyone looking for an Google play store alternative, should look into F-droid. Every app is FOSS.
    03-30-17 01:31 PM
    I use that as well, the only thing is F-droid doesn't keep up with the proper update cycles... I'm using k-9 mail from there right now though.
    03-30-17 01:45 PM
54 123