My friend convinced me to get a oneplus 5 over Keyone because it's cheaper than Keyone and oneplus doesn't charge tax. 128gb and 8gb ram, snapdragon 835 seems to be pretty nice for $539 but not sure if it's any better than Keyone. I saw a CBK crash test and Keyone is built like tank! My friend told me oneplus 5 is just as secured as BlackBerry but oneplus doesn't have high end dtek security. Any thoughts? Anyone getting both?
    anon(870071) likes this.
    06-20-17 03:14 PM
    Boy did your friend lie to you.
    06-20-17 03:30 PM
    So OnePlus 5 is a high end Chinese made phone? I don't know an awful lot about it, but I had originally thought it was just the model name and the phone was made by one of the bigger brands, like LG. Definitely an amazing price, but it reminds me of those Chinese products which give you the moon and stars but aren't the best quality in terms of support and materials. And with the manuals containing spelling mistakes and obvious bad grammar/translation.

How the hell can they make something this cheap and not make any compromises on the manufacturing process? There's usually a good reason why the product is so inexpensive compared to competitors.

Anyway, I'd say the decision rests on your desire for keyboard. If not, get a OnePlus 5. At least that's what I would get over a Samsung, if I was looking for a non-BlackBerry device. Probably less bloat on the OnePlus too.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-20-17 03:30 PM
    A friend of mine had the one plus 2. The support is really really bad.

If anything happens you would have to send it in somewhere to china and if you have a single scratch or blemish, they will refuse any warranty claim and leave you alone.

That were their conditions at the time they sold their phones over invitiations, idk if it has changed by now
    06-20-17 03:38 PM
    So OnePlus 5 is a high end Chinese made phone? I don't know an awful lot about it, but I had originally thought it was just the model name and the phone was made by one of the bigger brands, like LG. Definitely an amazing price, but it reminds me of those Chinese products which give you the moon and stars but aren't the best quality in terms of support and materials. And with the manuals containing spelling mistakes and obvious bad grammar/translation.

How the hell can they make something this cheap and not make any compromises on the manufacturing process? There's usually a good reason why the product is so inexpensive compared to competitors.

Anyway, I'd say the decision rests on your desire for keyboard. If not, get a OnePlus 5. At least that's what I would get over a Samsung, if I was looking for a non-BlackBerry device. Probably less bloat on the OnePlus too.
    Who do you think made the KEYone?
    06-20-17 03:40 PM
    My friend convinced me to get a oneplus 5 over Keyone because it's cheaper than Keyone and oneplus doesn't charge tax. 128gb and 8gb ram, snapdragon 835 seems to be pretty nice for $539 but not sure if it's any better than Keyone. I saw a CBK crash test and Keyone is built like tank! My friend told me oneplus 5 is just as secured as BlackBerry but oneplus doesn't have high end dtek security. Any thoughts? Anyone getting both?
    DTEK doesn't provide you any more security than any other Android phone running nougat. It might alert you to any potential permissions you don't want granted but it doesn't actually do anything. It's just a way to see what you've installed and how it's working within your phone. To me it's just simply a marketing gimmick.
    joewoo, Uzi, bluesqueen23 and 6 others like this.
    06-20-17 03:41 PM
    Who do you think made the KEYone?
    I dunno, Africa? Of course I know it was made in China. What's your point?
    06-20-17 03:43 PM
    A friend of mine got the OnePlus 3T, and is loving it, he imported it from Dubai.

If you do not NEED a physical keyboard I'd say go for it, especially the 128GB 8GB RAM model, there is nothing else the KEYone really has over it. Android 7.0 already covers the security areas that DTEK did.

OnePlus are trying to be the Apple of Android, controlling both Hardware and Software so they don't make deals with carriers and all that, and their Android UI is mostly stock Android.

Treat yourself
    06-20-17 03:43 PM
    Nvm 128/8 ram version is sold out
    06-20-17 04:00 PM
    I have owned One+ 1-3 and never an issue with any. Great quality and top of the line specs and a price that is better than anyone else for the specs. I just about got it this morning I just dont need the phone right now. I would never hesitate to pick one up if you are thinking about a slab android phone.
    KorChi_JapThai likes this.
    06-20-17 04:09 PM
    your phone is only s secure as what you do with it and what you install. dtek will not stop you from installing a 3rd party app you know nothing about, it will only warn you.
    06-20-17 04:13 PM
    A friend of mine had the one plus 2. The support is really really bad.

If anything happens you would have to send it in somewhere to china
    this is not true they have support here in the states
    jmr1015 likes this.
    06-20-17 04:15 PM
    From the reviews it's a great phone. great performance. battery is pretty decent.

1080p screen which is understandable. 2k screens are expensive. no micro-sd card support. for a 100 dollars cheaper than a HTC U11 it's pretty good. I was also looking into the HTC if that's something you'd like.

I'll probably stick with BlackBerry one last time and see how that goes for me.
    06-20-17 04:15 PM
    Yeah, if i hadn't just picked up a new phone, I'd be all over the OP5. Top specs, pretty good build, and decent value for money.

Especially vs the over priced Keyone.
    Al moon likes this.
    06-20-17 04:17 PM
    Coworker always gets the one plus lines. Big fan. Sleek and good performing device.

And yeah there already have been many articles on mobilenations pointing to dtek security as marketining gimmick. Newer android OSs are just as good.

BB devices of years back were indeed secure and fantastic communication devices.
    06-20-17 04:24 PM
    it all comes down to the physical keyboard.
    terminatorx likes this.
    06-20-17 04:25 PM
    I'm buying the OnePlus.
    06-20-17 04:27 PM

Loll you've never owned a oneplus phone have you.

The 3T was rated the top mid range phone last year. And by that I believe they meant in price, because they typically use flagship specs.

I think oneplus has already solidified their rep by now re: the quality of their phones.

Not just hardware but their android skin is known to be one of the smoothest experiences available.

Only negative has been their cameras apparently. Which they are hoping to get right on their op5...

Here's the funny thing, their cameras were still always better than any on a BlackBerry.

Right about the support though. It's not that good at all.
    Last edited by evodevo69; 06-20-17 at 05:03 PM.
    06-20-17 04:51 PM
    Nothing wrong with the OnePlus. It's only a question of pkb / form factor.
    06-20-17 04:54 PM

Especially vs the over priced Keyone.
    You keep saying this. Since you clearly have inside information, what is the manufacturing cost of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ? And how much overhead would be fair to allocate on a per device basis?
    stlabrat likes this.
    06-20-17 04:57 PM
    You keep saying this. Since you clearly have inside information, what is the manufacturing cost of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ? And how much overhead would be fair to allocate on a per device basis?
    Hahah some people love to speculate , it's cute
    06-20-17 05:00 PM
    Common old chap! Conite, I acknowledge your very helpful insights and overall advice on troubleshooting, but when it comes to certain things I must disagree.

Didn't you also explain and justify the price of the PRIV? BlackBerry admitted later on they overpriced it...

You've said this exact same thing for every android device they release loll
    Bee Gee likes this.
    06-20-17 05:05 PM
    Common old chap! Conite, I acknowledge your very helpful insights and overall advice on troubleshooting, but when it comes to certain things I must disagree.

Didn't you also explain and justify the price of the PRIV? BlackBerry admitted later on they overpriced it...
    They admitted that launching a high end device at a high end price was a mistake - not that they tried to bilk the consumer.

BlackBerry clearly knew they could not deliver hardware at a reasonable price due to economies of scale, so they went to TCL to build the DTEKs.

Are you suggesting that TCL, a company with a history of selling low cost devices, and who desperately want to make inroads into NA and the corporate space, are intentionally overpricing the KEYᵒⁿᵉ?

Could it not simply be that a low volume run of custom components simply costs more?
    06-20-17 05:09 PM
    Looks like the oneplus 5 did pretty good in the JerryRig test The phone is priced decently with pretty darn good specs.
    super_rigel and chain13 like this.
    06-20-17 05:34 PM
    You guys think oneplus 5 cost more money to manufacture than TCL Keyone?
    06-20-17 05:34 PM
301 123 ...