With all this talk about banning hand held electronics devices on certain flight s now I read that it could spread to all flights.

My question is I understand that certain size hand phones will be allowed. Does the KEYone fit into that category if so will the screen size be big enough to watch movies on.

By the way if the total ban does takes place, the terrorist win again

Posted via CB10
    03-27-17 09:20 AM
    Legislation will never be passed to ban all handheld devices on an aircraft. A temporary ban during a heightened terror threat? Maybe. But no permanent policy.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-17 09:23 AM
    Legislation will never be passed to ban all handheld devices on an aircraft. A temporary ban during a heightened terror threat? Maybe. But no permanent policy.

Posted via CB10
    Never say never. Case in point? Samsung Note 7.
    S1lv1o likes this.
    03-27-17 09:42 AM
    banning hand held electronics devices
    Unless this is something new, handheld stuff was pretty much exempted. In fact, the directive even used a cellphone as an example of what would be allowed:

Electronic devices larger than a cell phone/smart phone will not be allowed to be carried onboard the aircraft in carry-on luggage or other accessible property.
    https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/03/21/...rture-airports

Anything much larger is kind of stretching the definition of handheld...
    03-27-17 10:02 AM
    I think bans start from mini tablets and onwards. True no specific exact sizes have been confirmed. I would think anything that fits in your pocket would be allowed.
    03-27-17 10:16 AM
    Max allowable dimensions: 140 mms X 80 mms X 15 mms... this according to the more definitive UK ban.
    zephyr613 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    03-27-17 11:50 AM
    The irony is that West Jet, for one, rents out 7 inch diagonal screen sized devices for movie watching. There has to be provision for the devices the airline utilizes vs items brought on board by passengers.
    03-27-17 08:19 PM
    Yeah, but the Note 7 was basically a proven bomb lol
    NightFire, jakie55 and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-27-17 09:10 PM
    The irony is that West Jet, for one, rents out 7 inch diagonal screen sized devices for movie watching. There has to be provision for the devices the airline utilizes vs items brought on board by passengers.
    It has nothing to do with the device itself but the fact that there is a threat that terror cells might now be able to build a bomb inside a tablet.

So airlines can rent out devices... actually this might even spur their device rental business
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-27-17 09:24 PM
    The thing I don't understand is that one's carry on luggage is scanned, wanded, sniffed, etc. IF I think about the devices we take on board when we go on holidays, which will not be allowed, people will not be happy. And if they think it will all be good placing these devices into checked luggage, boy will the claims for missing devices go up drastically.
    FF22 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    03-28-17 01:13 AM
    Yeah, but the Note 7 was basically a proven bomb lol
    That's what made it a good value, trying to get a hand grenade as a civilian is expensive!!

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-28-17 07:22 AM
    That's what made it a good value, trying to get a hand grenade as a civilian is expensive!!

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Depends who you know ;-)
    03-28-17 08:35 AM
    The thing I don't understand is that one's carry on luggage is scanned, wanded, sniffed, etc. IF I think about the devices we take on board when we go on holidays, which will not be allowed, people will not be happy. And if they think it will all be good placing these devices into checked luggage, boy will the claims for missing devices go up drastically.
    They don't care if stuff breaks or goes missing. The TSA would gladly throw your luggage in an industrial metal shredder in the name of "safety" and then say they were just being cautious.
    jakie55 likes this.
    03-28-17 10:23 AM
    It's just as easy to plant plastic explosives in a teddy bear & take that on board, at some point we have to say enough is enough. I fly a lot for business I have always said as a joke once they start doing rectal exams that it, but we are heading that way.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-17 12:53 PM
    Max allowable dimensions: 140 mms X 80 mms X 15 mms... this according to the more definitive UK ban.
    Pretty sure this means my BlackBerry Passport will be too big...

Dimensions
    128 mm (5.0 in) H
    90.3 mm (3.56 in) W
    9.3 mm (0.37 in) D

Am wondering how many flights with my Passport being checked into the hold it will take, for it to be stolen from suitcase...
    03-29-17 02:38 AM
    Not quite a accurate analogy. All devices don't equate to a phone that spontaneously combusts.
    03-29-17 07:09 AM
    Reasonable measures based on intelligence isn't letting the terrorists win. Ignoring intelligence, and taking no steps to prevent an attack, will surely allow the terrorists to win. Flying is a privilege. Arriving at your destination is the ultimate privilege.
    zephyr613 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    03-29-17 07:40 AM
    Reasonable measures based on intelligence isn't letting the terrorists win. Ignoring intelligence, and taking no steps to prevent an attack, will surely allow the terrorists to win. Flying is a privilege. Arriving at your destination is the ultimate privilege.
    More poignant words could not have been better spoken my friend.

It is indeed a scary world we live in and unfortunately I fear for our children
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-29-17 07:50 AM
    Scratch Note 7, replace with liquids.

Probably the merchants in the restricted area saw sales increase so they kept it.
    03-29-17 08:40 AM
    Am wondering how many flights with my Passport being checked into the hold it will take, for it to be stolen from suitcase...
    The average person doesn't want a blackberry, let alone a phone approaching 3 years old. You're confusing universal value with personal.
    03-29-17 09:18 AM
    Pretty sure this means my BlackBerry Passport will be too big...

Dimensions
    128 mm (5.0 in) H
    90.3 mm (3.56 in) W
    9.3 mm (0.37 in) D

The average person doesn't want a blackberry, let alone a phone approaching 3 years old. You're confusing universal value with personal.
    No - I'm not confusing anything... but I do believe you may be confused as to relative value in different parts of the world. The speculation in my previous post (see above) is based on 27 years of international travel and having had multiple items stolen from my luggage (and occasionally, ALL of my luggage having been stolen!).

Which country/continent are you basing your "average person" on?
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 03-29-17 at 12:13 PM.
    03-29-17 11:39 AM
    The thing I don't understand is that one's carry on luggage is scanned, wanded, sniffed, etc....
    In many parts of the world, the scanning/wanding/sniffing either does not happen at all, only happens intermittently, or does not happen reliably.

The UK guidelines are very specific that you can take these items into the cabin with you when you fly to the specified airport/country, it's the flights back to the UK that they are worried about... (types man hoping he will soon be able to fly to Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt again, and then directly back to the UK, after a well deserved holiday...).
    03-29-17 12:21 PM
    No - I'm not confusing anything... but I do believe you may be confused as to relative value in different parts of the world. The speculation in my previous post (see above) is based on 27 years of international travel and having had multiple items stolen from my luggage (and occasionally, ALL of my luggage having been stolen!).

Which country/continent are you basing your "average person" on?
    Easy, I'm jerking your chain....

Besides in 27 years, you must have seen 1 or 2 of these.

Time to pony up the 7 quid .
    03-29-17 12:40 PM