Hello CB community,

I am a Classic user and really enjoy the trackpad for scrolling, highlighting, selecting/clicking, etc. Does anyone know if the upcoming keyboard device will include this hardware feature? What are other people's thoughts on it? I hear the BlackBerry Passport and Priv have touch sensitive keyboards that provide a similar function as the trackpad. Anyone with Passport or Priv user experience: thoughts?

I am purchasing the new BlackBerry keyboard device, powered by Android, and was interested in getting more information and other people's comments and opinions. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame and Man Minh Le like this.
    09-04-16 07:15 PM
    If it's similar to the classic, I would buy it right away. Keyboard and toolbelts are what define BlackBerry imo.
    Plazmic Flame, PALoeza and Q10Bold like this.
    09-04-16 07:33 PM
    Probably unlikely, but I would love that too. Not just the trackpad, but the physical call send and end keys are super important to me as well...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    09-04-16 07:36 PM
    Hello CB community,

I am a Classic user and really enjoy the trackpad for scrolling, highlighting, selecting/clicking, etc. Does anyone know if the upcoming keyboard device will include this hardware feature?
    Nobody knows anything for sure.
    What are other people's thoughts on it?
    Would be absolutely fantastic. Btw, I had the Classic too for a week or so. Great device (aside from no apps and the removal of the trackpad light), but it was just too (top)heavy for me compared to the Bold 9900 I was using before that.
    I hear the BlackBerry Passport and Priv have touch sensitive keyboards that provide a similar function as the trackpad. Anyone with Passport or Priv user experience: thoughts?
    Touchsensitive keyboard is a nice replacement for the trackpad, but I prefer the trackpad. As a multi-language person who basically and often uses the phone as a laptop replacement to work on documents, nothing beats using the trackpad for text selection and when holding the individual letters and mover the trackpad to one direction to get umlauts, cedillas, grave/accute accents, circumflex and what not.
    I am purchasing the new BlackBerry keyboard device, powered by Android, and was interested in getting more information and other people's comments and opinions. Thanks
    If you can afford it, I would purchase a Priv now and a "Mercury" later (if it comes with the beloved trackpad and other things you prefer). But be aware that resale value of the Priv will probably make you cry. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...asing-1047224/
    Posted via CB10
    Probably unlikely, but I would love that too.
    Why? Sure, last device with a trackpad was some time ago, but I don't see why this would/should be history. Not just the trackpad, but the physical call send and end keys are super important to me as well...Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    PALoeza likes this.
    09-05-16 02:49 AM
    BlackBerry's new solution for getting rid of the trackpad has been the touch-sensitive keyboard that they've included in the BB-Passport and BB-PRIV. Personally I hate this, I'd much rather have the trackpad as it was on the Classic. Although, if the upcoming Mercury has the keyboard style of the Classic, I don't care if they make it touch sensitive. I hate the keyboard style, flat keys, of the Passport & PRIV.
    idssteve likes this.
    09-05-16 09:35 AM
    I would hope the pkb will be Q10 style with capacitive touch like priv and pp. The only thing the toolbelt does for me is take away another 1/4 inch of screen size.

That's just my preference. I get that some people like the toolbelt.

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    09-05-16 11:06 AM
    I've reached the conclusion that people are too picky. I get that people like what they like but sometimes you can't have everything

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    Mirko935 and UrbanGlowCam like this.
    09-05-16 11:49 AM
    I would hope the pkb will be Q10 style with capacitive touch like priv and pp. The only thing the toolbelt does for me is take away another 1/4 inch of screen size.

That's just my preference. I get that some people like the toolbelt.

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    You're a victim of BB's poor advertising skills. With the toolbelt you can pretty much use the phone without touching the screen. Not having to move your thumbs up to the screen makes using it sooooooo easy and quick. There might be a few instances where you tap something on the screen, but it's just every once in a while versus going back and forth like on traditional phones.

idssteve and UrbanGlowCam like this.
    09-05-16 12:31 PM
    Not sure if Android even supports that kind of UI movement, it's a touch screen OS.

Posted via CB10
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    09-05-16 12:59 PM
    Not sure if Android even supports that kind of UI movement, it's a touch screen OS.

Posted via CB10
    It's all about the skinning. BB could add function for that. Plus, even vanilla android supports adding a bt mouse which adds a pointer, which would be immensely useful while browsing the web to click small links.

09-05-16 01:54 PM
    It's all about the skinning. BB could add function for that. Plus, even vanilla android supports adding a bt mouse which adds a pointer, which would be immensely useful while browsing the web to click small links.

Chances of that working with third party Apps? Very slim, wouldn't work properly without actual OS support, even BB10 needed a daft amount of work

Posted via CB10
    09-05-16 01:58 PM
    Highly unlikely to come back. Although, they do have track pads on the all new 2017 Mercedes E Class's
    Any info on potential Trackpad?-2017-mercedes-benz-e-class-steering-wheel-03.jpg

Posted via CB10
    PALoeza likes this.
    09-05-16 02:00 PM
    Chances of that working with third party Apps? Very slim, wouldn't work properly without actual OS support, even BB10 needed a daft amount of work

Posted via CB10
    It's the same as it is now with the Classic. As long as it helps some of the times it still helps. Does everything have to be all or nothing?

09-05-16 02:24 PM
    It's the same as it is now with the Classic. As long as it helps some of the times it still helps. Does everything have to be all or nothing?

I very much agree: another firm vote in favour of the full toolbelt, above all the trackpad. I used to use old Nokias with a "D"-button years ago, and couldn't believe how great the trackpad was when I first used a BB! As you've said above, it's so much quicker not to have to keep on going back and forward to the screen to stab at large virtual buttons. For most things (I grant there are exceptions) you only need a large screen because you haven't got a PKB and pointing device - a browser is the classic [no pun intended!] example.

Similarly, I've been flabbergasted by the re-emergence of predictive text that we all made jokes about in the early 2000s, again something that's completely redundant with a PKB... In short, anything else is a load of ducking shiv.

Posted via CB10
    PALoeza likes this.
    09-07-16 01:31 PM
    Nothing works as well as a trackpad but a trackpad. I had a classic (I lost) now a PrIV --give me a trackpad,please....NOTHING else compares !
    idssteve likes this.
    09-28-16 08:03 AM
    However, it needs...to be much better than the Classic's one. Rather like the Bold's trackpad. Please. Classic's is far too small and just doesn't do the trick for me. And please set it straight this time.

Classic .2876
    09-28-16 09:25 AM
    Highly doubt it will have trackpad

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 02:55 PM
    However, it needs...to be much better than the Classic's one. Rather like the Bold's trackpad. Please. Classic's is far too small and just doesn't do the trick for me. And please set it straight this time.

Classic .2876
    I don't know, coming from a Bold 9000 and then a Bold 9900, I got used to the Classic's smaller trackpad after just a little while. I highly doubt they will put a trackpad on their new Android, but just as a pipe dream, if they do, it definitely will be a small one to not make the device too big. I don't mind, I'll be happy if it had one at all...

Plazmic Flame likes this.
    09-29-16 07:55 AM
    Classic is unlit, wow.
    10-01-16 07:57 PM
    You're a victim of BB's poor advertising skills. With the toolbelt you can pretty much use the phone without touching the screen. Not having to move your thumbs up to the screen makes using it sooooooo easy and quick. There might be a few instances where you tap something on the screen, but it's just every once in a while versus going back and forth like on traditional phones.

Except this wasn't exactly true with the Classic. That trackpad was a complete afterthought, apps all had inconsistent behaviour with the trackpad. I always had to resort to the screen.
    10-01-16 11:25 PM
    Except this wasn't exactly true with the Classic. That trackpad was a complete afterthought, apps all had inconsistent behaviour with the trackpad. I always had to resort to the screen.
    Agreed, it worked on some but def not others

 PASSPORT 
    10-02-16 01:22 AM
    They cannot control how app developers treat the input from the trackpad... A lot of apps were made before the Classic and the trackpad, so did not make use of it. It's how the core OS apps handle it that matters to me and for all of those things using the trackpad makes everything easier for me.

10-02-16 03:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    If the Priv has touch keyboard trackpad then it can happen on other Android phones

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 08:59 PM
    If the Priv has touch keyboard trackpad then it can happen on other Android phones

Posted via CB10
    The trackpad used to scroll through clickable links buttons etc. The priv's keyboard does not function that way. I don't think android works that way.
    10-04-16 02:43 PM
    The trackpad used to scroll through clickable links buttons etc. The priv's keyboard does not function that way. I don't think android works that way.
    Android does support a mouse, and briefly BlackBerry was looking enabling a mouse feature for the capacitive touch, but pulled it.

If you connect a mouse via OTG or a Bluetooth mouse it works.
    10-05-16 08:28 PM
52 123