Looking at the reviews for Messenger on the Google Play Store, it seems like others are having similar read/unread issues as well, not just BlackBerry users. The fix might have to come from Google and hopefully soon.
    Hmm, I don't think Google DL's anything to our BlackBerry phones (unless I'm misinformed about downloads). How would it be a Google issue? The updates come from BlackBerry right? Assuming what I think is true, it seems to be a BlackBerry issue from the Feb update.
    02-23-17 10:02 AM
    Hmm, I don't think Google DL's anything to our BlackBerry phones (unless I'm misinformed about downloads). How would it be a Google issue? The updates come from BlackBerry right? Assuming what I think is true, it seems to be a BlackBerry issue from the Feb update.
    The moment I updated to the newest version of google's messenger app, the issue has started happening.
    So the blame is on google for breaking it but who knows if BlackBerry will fix it in the hub or if google will fix it in messenger.
    02-23-17 10:22 AM
    Mine started malfunctioning today too. Here's a bit more details about what's actually happening:
    • When a text message is received it shows as unread in the HUB as well as the system notification
    • Once read through the HUB the system notification goes away and the red dot by the HUB also disappears. The message shows as read in the Messenger app and the unread count remains incremented in the HUB (but no red dot).
    • Sending a response to the text message doesn't change any of the status' above.

Troubleshooting attempts made:
    • Force close the HUB
    • Restart the phone
    • Uninstall the HUB and reinstall

There are no other issues with the HUB app or the Messenger app. All updates (system and through Google Play) have been performed. The version of Messenger installed is 2.1.060 (3735832-40.phone) on 15-Feb-17 and HUB is 1.5.0.12392 on 8-Feb-17. Based on the reviews of Messenger on Google Play it seems the issue is not limited to HUB (Moto Z documented) but these reviews are "for an older version". I just added a review now on both HUB and Messenger about the issue.
    02-23-17 10:35 AM
    The moment I updated to the newest version of google's messenger app, the issue has started happening.
    So the blame is on google for breaking it but who knows if BlackBerry will fix it in the hub or if google will fix it in messenger.
    Interesting
    02-23-17 11:00 AM
    Mine started malfunctioning today too. Here's a bit more details about what's actually happening:
    • When a text message is received it shows as unread in the HUB as well as the system notification
    • Once read through the HUB the system notification goes away and the red dot by the HUB also disappears. The message shows as read in the Messenger app and the unread count remains incremented in the HUB (but no red dot).
    • Sending a response to the text message doesn't change any of the status' above.

• Force close the HUB
    • Restart the phone

There are no other issues with the HUB app or the Messenger app. All updates (system and through Google Play) have been performed. The version of Messenger installed is 2.1.060 (3735832-40.phone) on 15-Feb-17 and HUB is 1.5.0.12392 on 8-Feb-17. Based on the reviews of Messenger on Google Play it seems the issue is not limited to HUB (Moto Z documented) but these reviews are "for an older version". I just added a review now on both HUB and Messenger about the issue.
    Wow, thanks for detailing it in a way that all can understand, and for all the time spent on dissecting the problem.
    02-23-17 11:15 AM
    If you're using Google's Messenger then I believe it has something to do with that. They just added some new features and I'm assuming that's what broke it. It's not a big deal. The notification clears properly from the notification pulldown. It just shows unread in the Hub.
    02-23-17 11:59 AM
    Here's a temporary work-around until Google updates the Messenger app - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12773961
    mndb369 likes this.
    02-23-17 02:43 PM
    Here's a temporary work-around until Google updates the Messenger app - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12773961
    I know everyone says "Google broke it" I have four S7 phones, they have NO issue at all and are all up to date. I feel this is again another issue with the hybrid DroidBerry, and BlackBerry not playing well with android. Am I wrong? If so, why are my Samsung phones not effected?
    02-23-17 03:03 PM
    I feel this is again another issue with the hybrid DroidBerry, and BlackBerry not playing well with android.
    You are correct, it is an issue with the apps not playing well together. However, both parties (BlackBerry and Google) are likely partially at fault since they didn't communicate during the update process. What likely happened was in the update to the app Google changed or removed a piece of code that let's third party apps (such as BlackBerry Hub) know that a message has been read. "Best practice" would have been for Google to let app developers know a feature was being removed or depreciated before publishing the app (which may or may not have happened in this case, I'm not an app developer so I don't have access to or know where to dig up this information) so other apps that are reliant on Messenger could similarly be updated or could provide feedback to Google on the change or could start to source out another vendor that meets their needs. To the extent that Google may not have provide advance notification, shame on Google. To the extent that BlackBerry didn't notice, shame on BlackBerry. To the extent that both companies likely will never admit to any "wrong", acknowledge that there is a problem, or be forthright when a solution will be coming, shame on both Google and BlackBerry.
    02-23-17 03:15 PM
    I know everyone says "Google broke it" I have four S7 phones, they have NO issue at all and are all up to date. I feel this is again another issue with the hybrid DroidBerry, and BlackBerry not playing well with android. Am I wrong? If so, why are my Samsung phones not effected?
    Are those S7 devices running the same version of Hub and Google Messenger as the DTEK60 or other devices you have that are exhibiting the issue? That's a quick way to figure out whether it's an app issue or an OS issue. I'm suspecting it's likely an app issue as I haven't updated messenger in a while and didn't see the issue. Also, to answer your question - the S7 doesn't typically use use the google messenger App by default, it has its own text messaging app built by Samsung. So if you're using that other app and the issue is in the google app (as a quick scan seems to show that it is) then that's why you don't see the issue there.

Perhaps I'll rip out the databases tonight and take a closer look. Since it was mentioned that it's also wrong in some other places my money is that Google is no longer appropriately updating the SMS database, which is what Hub and many other apps in the store use to determine SMS state.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    02-23-17 06:15 PM
    @c_bryant34 are you back with BlackBerry?
    02-23-17 06:53 PM
    [QUOTE=c_bryant34;12775386]Are those S7 devices running the same version of Hub and Google Messenger as the DTEK60 or other devices you have that are exhibiting the issue? That's a quick way to figure out whether it's an app issue or an OS issue. I'm suspecting it's likely an app issue as I haven't updated messenger in a while and didn't see the issue. Also, to answer your question - the S7 doesn't typically use use the google messenger App by default, it has its own text messaging app built by Samsung. So if you're using that other app and the issue is in the google app (as a quick scan seems to show that it is) then that's why you don't see the issue there.

Perhaps I'll rip out the databases tonight and take a closer look. Since it was mentioned that it's also wrong in some other places my money is that Google is no longer appropriately updating the SMS database, which is what Hub and many other apps in the store use to determine SMS state.[/QUOTE7's,

I do have Google msg'r on them but not the Hub. I assume that Google messenger is the same app across all android devices? The 7's are in my employees hands so not 100% sure about the hub, but I will check tonight. We did put a few BlackBerry apps on the 7's, all that we could. Will let you know tomorrow.
    02-23-17 07:06 PM
    @c_bryant34 are you back with BlackBerry?
    Nope, with another awesome local company
    Uzi likes this.
    02-23-17 07:09 PM
    I'm not sure about the hub, my wife says we do have it on all the 7's... like I said, will get back to you on that. I did ask the guys about the text issue, all said they are having no issues. Looked at one of the phones earlier today , did a test with it in my hand and when the text is read it shows read.
    Thanks for your help on this by the way...
    02-23-17 07:17 PM
    FYI, new version of Google Messenger (2.1.161) available on Google Play. Wish I could stay it fixed the issue, but doesn't look like it.

My productivity tab is really messed up with this as well. It now breaks apart my unread text message into individual messages. Weird.
    02-23-17 10:15 PM
    FYI, new version of Google Messenger (2.1.161) available on Google Play. Wish I could stay it fixed the issue, but doesn't look like it.

My productivity tab is really messed up with this as well. It now breaks apart my unread text message into individual messages. Weird.
    the new version of Messenger is now called "Android Messages". finally..

but well, still the bug sometimes comes up.
    02-24-17 03:28 AM
    I recently updated the blackberry priv hub app, all of my sent messages show as unread. I tried to manually mark all text messages read with no luck. I've rebooted countless times even deleting text messages and haven't had any luck. Emails operate as normal, but the unread sent text messages are annoying and difficult to keep track of. Hope they come up with a solution in the near future. smdh Think a hub uninstall and reinstall will fix the problem or is it too much of a hassle? Hoping there is a fix in the near future.

#SMDH
    02-24-17 08:39 AM
    My plan is to just sit back for a bit and let BlackBerry and Google sort things out. It's a bit annoying but certainly doesn't have a major impact on my day to day usage.
    02-24-17 08:52 AM
    There's a new update for Android Messages. Maybe it fixes it. I don't have anyone to text me to test it so maybe someone here can confirm after updating.
    02-24-17 09:36 AM
    There's a new update for Android Messages. Maybe it fixes it. I don't have anyone to text me to test it so maybe someone here can confirm after updating.
    Thanks for the heads-up
    02-24-17 11:59 AM
    Did the up date, then rebooted. It still shows unread. Oh well.
    02-24-17 12:34 PM
    There's a Hub update live now too. Wanna try it? Haha.
    02-24-17 02:57 PM

• Force close the HUB
    • Restart the phone

Awesome !
    02-24-17 03:06 PM
    Same issue here on my verizon priv! This is why a built in sms client into thehub would resolve everything.(same as on BB10)
    Also my verizon sms app was not working properly after all the current updates so I disabled that as well.FML
    02-24-17 07:58 PM
    Yeah, I'm getting some other weird messaging behaviour as well. Hard to describe, animations seem to be acting up...
    02-24-17 08:16 PM
79 1234