Please explain what the Contact Join option. What is it? How do I use it?

I have a Contact in Outlook.com with all my personal information. Do I use the Join option to create the local profile on my phone?
    01-17-17 09:15 PM
    If you look in your contacts and you have two versions of a contact, you can join them. For example, I may have John Smith's cell phone and personal email on my phone through my Gmail account, and John Smith's corporate phone and email through my work exchange account showing separately in my contacts. If you long press them you can join them together into one contact card instead of two.
    Ecm and anon(3641385) like this.
    01-17-17 11:41 PM
    If you look in your contacts and you have two versions of a contact, you can join them. For example, I may have John Smith's cell phone and personal email on my phone through my Gmail account, and John Smith's corporate phone and email through my work exchange account showing separately in my contacts. If you long press them you can join them together into one contact card instead of two.
    Thanks for the information.

Can I use the Join option to setup my phone profile by creating a bare bones profile contact card and joining it to my real Outlook.com contact card?
    01-18-17 11:49 AM
    Thanks for the information.

Can I use the Join option to setup my phone profile by creating a bare bones profile contact card and joining it to my real Outlook.com contact card?
    Yes. Give it a try. You can always unjoin them.
    01-18-17 09:45 PM
    Sorry for jumping in and commit thread-jacking:
    How can I change the "main" contact of a joined one. If I join an exchange and a Skype contact the Name in Skype is used as joined contact name. I would like to use the correct Exchangename instead and therefore I would need to set the primary joined contact. BTW. I can't change the name in Skype contact.
    01-19-17 11:14 AM