The main task to which I would better appreciate BlackBerry's Privacy Shade app would be to deploy the app when entering my PIN or lockscreen set up of choice... If there is a way to make this happen, input is welcome. Otherwise, if this is not yet possible, I hope with all my little fan-girl heart that BlackBerry will consider this function in the future... I just feel should this particular feature become available it would be better serving me. If I were able to use the Privacy Shade with the purpose of unlocking my beloved Berry whilst in close quarters and such I would be using the app a whole lot more and its diverse functionality and productivity in relation to the app and its interactions with the device would come full circle for me. Hence vindicating the app's existence for me and perhaps a few others who may be looking for helpful ways to make use of this application.
    03-29-17 09:43 PM
    Use picture password.. People can look over your shoulder all day long and not know your password.
    CivilDissident likes this.
    03-29-17 11:33 PM
    Use picture password.. People can look over your shoulder all day long and not know your password.
    I do not like picture passwords... I'll use it occasionally, but it's more annoying than anything... I prefer one-handed functions to complete my tasks... Picture password is not a one-handed thing, esp with my small hands... On my Classic at least I can use the track pad, if the Priv allowed picture unlock via the Keyboard as my Classic allows unlocked via the trackpad it would be a different story... Since it doesn't though I often use other lockscreen options...
    03-29-17 11:40 PM
    Actually, in the very unlikely event that someone with good memory, vision, and an understanding of how picture password works was looking over your shoulder, they'd have at least a 41% chance of getting into your phone (assuming they got physical access to it).
    03-29-17 11:46 PM
    I prefer one-handed functions to complete my tasks... Picture password is not a one-handed thing, esp with my small hands...
    Sounds like you aren't using picture password properly. Remember you don't have to move your finger to a specific spot. You just need to move the grid so that a particular number goes to the right spot.
    I find this can easily be done with just my thumb while using my Priv one handed.
    03-29-17 11:50 PM
    Sounds like you aren't using picture password properly. Remember you don't have to move your finger to a specific spot. You just need to move the grid so that a particular number goes to the right spot.
    I find this can easily be done with just my thumb while using my Priv one handed.
    Again I have small hands... every now and then the grid has the number at spot that I attempt to reach and A.) End up hitting the screen with my palm and it registers as a wrong guess or B.) Underestimate the amount of room needed to bring the chosen number on the grid to its designated spot... works for you, fine, but for me, it's more of a hassle than help...

Point of my posting, my main intent, was to draw focus to a more plausible as well as helpful functionality of the Privacy Shade app that may persuade a consumer like myself to actually find a niche for it... I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions, but they do not provide remedy for me in particular... Besides, bringing this function to life would only add an extra layer of security to one's device... Seems right in BlackBerry's Wheelhouse, actually...
    03-29-17 11:58 PM
    Again I have small hands... every now and then the grid has the number at spot that I attempt to reach and A.) End up hitting the screen with my palm and it registers as a wrong guess or B.) Underestimate the amount of room needed to bring the chosen number on the grid to its designated spot... works for you, fine, but for me, it's more of a hassle than help...
    Okay, I understand. I have heard of people using it wrong, so I just wanted to make sure you knew how it worked.
    03-30-17 12:07 AM
    I think the idea of setting up the Privacy shade to be able to hide the screen when entering the security Pin or pattern etc to unlock the phone is a brilliant idea.
    04-03-17 09:49 AM
    I think the idea of setting up the Privacy shade to be able to hide the screen when entering the security Pin or pattern etc to unlock the phone is a brilliant idea.
    I would find it both helpful as well as clever in implementation...
    04-03-17 09:45 PM
    I don't understand how it would work.
    If I understand privacy shield, it mostly just makes only a small part of the screen visible at any time.
    I guess that means someone quickly glancing over your shoulder wouldn't learn anything significant as they'd only get a few out of context words.

How is this useful for entering a pin?
    If you move the visible circle around to find each number as you enter it, won't that just make it even more obvious which numbers you're entering? If you simply make the entire pin pad hard to see, it will also be hard for YOU to see and people could still figure out your pin based on where you put your finger.
    04-03-17 11:19 PM
    I don't understand how it would work.
    If I understand privacy shield, it mostly just makes only a small part of the screen visible at any time.
    I guess that means someone quickly glancing over your shoulder wouldn't learn anything significant as they'd only get a few out of context words.

How is this useful for entering a pin?
    If you move the visible circle around to find each number as you enter it, won't that just make it even more obvious which numbers you're entering? If you simply make the entire pin pad hard to see, it will also be hard for YOU to see and people could still figure out your pin based on where you put your finger.
    Nope...You change the opacity of the shade to fairly opaque and park the search circle (or whichever viewer shade view you prefer) somewhere at the top of your phone screen, making the pad just visible enough for only you to see...
    Attached Thumbnails In regards to the BlackBerry Privacy Shade app...-17170.jpg  
    04-03-17 11:32 PM
    Nope...You change the opacity of the shade to fairly opaque and park the search circle (or whichever viewer shade view you prefer) somewhere at the top of your phone screen, making the pad just visible enough for only you to see...
    Does being the closest person to the screen really gives you enough of an advantage to be able to see through the darkened screen while someone nearby can't?

Assuming for the moment that this actually works, I think it should be paired with a randomized pin pad so your finger position doesn't give it away.
    04-03-17 11:40 PM
    Does being the closest person to the screen really gives you enough of an advantage to be able to see through the darkened screen while someone nearby can't?
    Yes, I believe this does give me the 'advantage' as regardless of what lock option you use -be it PIN, Picture Password or otherwise-, with this sort of option implemented it certainly makes it just a little more 'secure' than before. Definitely providing an extra layer of protection that wasn't there before if nothing else...
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 04-04-17 at 12:08 AM.
    04-03-17 11:54 PM

Assuming for the moment that this actually works, I think it should be paired with a randomized pin pad so your finger position doesn't give it away.
    Might as well just chokeslam everyone in a ten foot radius to really make sure.
    04-04-17 01:05 AM
    Might as well just chokeslam everyone in a ten foot radius to really make sure.
    Now, now... While that IS a viable option, violence is not necessary... BUT it is often extremely effective... However, until BlackBerry irons out kinks of a secure 'chokeslam' app, this is the next best thing, in my opinion...
    04-04-17 02:41 AM
    Now, now... While that IS a viable option, violence is not necessary... BUT it is often extremely effective... However, until BlackBerry irons out kinks of a secure 'chokeslam' app, this is the next best thing, in my opinion...
    Knowing BlackBerry it would have a 50% chance of chokeslamming the user.
    04-04-17 08:35 AM