The last few updates have affected my priv's battery consumption.

BlackBerry Hub services is eating up all the battery in a matter of a couple of hours even when the phone is only on standby.

I deleted and reinstalled hub services and reconfigured all my emails to only 30day sync and everything was fine.

I tried to switch back to forever sync and the battery drain happened again.

Thing is, before the last few updates everything was fine even with forever sync on.

Can anyone advise or had similar problems?
    Attached Thumbnails hub battery consumption when sync forever-62790.jpg  
    Last edited by The Big Picture; 12-04-16 at 10:14 PM.
    12-04-16 03:22 PM
    Indeed since last update of HUB+ services which came in before the rest of the apps. I'm seeing the same battery drain.
    This morning notice hub+ services used about 40% of the battery during the night.
    Probably a bug, very surprised they don't test this or have some setting so we can tweak this ourselves

J
    12-04-16 11:45 PM
    Indeed since last update of HUB+ services which came in before the rest of the apps. I'm seeing the same battery drain.
    This morning notice hub+ services used about 40% of the battery during the night.
    Probably a bug, very surprised they don't test this or have some setting so we can tweak this ourselves

J
    thanks for the reply, so no solution yet it seems
    12-05-16 07:34 AM
    An Update is now out to 4.1.2822 is out now. Let s see if it helps...
    12-05-16 04:17 PM
    That update should help a great deal with the battery consumption. If there was a great deal of stuff built up in the database backlog, it might take a bit of time to work through it but should settle out.

We have another fix coming very soon as well that should disappear this.
    12-07-16 03:05 PM
    That update should help a great deal with the battery consumption. If there was a great deal of stuff built up in the database backlog, it might take a bit of time to work through it but should settle out.

We have another fix coming very soon as well that should disappear this.
    How does forever sync on the hub actually work. Does it sync and look at every email in every folder that is synced? Just curious. Battery life is much better when sync is anything less than forever.
    12-09-16 05:22 PM
    How does forever sync on the hub actually work. Does it sync and look at every email in every folder that is synced? Just curious. Battery life is much better when sync is anything less than forever.
    There is a ton more processing that gets done simply because it's a larger dataset and people usually have quite large inboxes.
    12-14-16 08:37 AM
    There is a ton more processing that gets done simply because it's a larger dataset and people usually have quite large inboxes.
    Got it that explains a lot.
    12-14-16 09:03 AM
    I use MS Exchange Active Sync with time frame set to Forever. The first week following setup I had poor battery life, but now that it's settled a month later, I'm getting the same battery life as my Passport.

It's almost midnight now, after a day of moderate to heavy usage, and battery is at 34%. Hub is way down the list of usage.
    Attached Thumbnails hub battery consumption when sync forever-6551.jpg  
    12-17-16 10:56 PM
    I use MS Exchange Active Sync with time frame set to Forever. The first week following setup I had poor battery life, but now that it's settled a month later, I'm getting the same battery life as my Passport.

It's almost midnight now, after a day of moderate to heavy usage, and battery is at 34%. Hub is way down the list of usage.
    That's great. But I can tell you when I don't sync forever I get fantastic battery life. I'm at 70% right now and my phone with moderate usage has been off charger since 6am. It's now 6pm. I still have 21 hours left.
    12-18-16 05:08 PM
    With Remote Search (the option(s) that appear at the bottom of your Hub search results), it seems unnecessary to sync forever... I have a regular Gmail and a Google Apps account, and I keep them both at 90 days, and I can still find emails from 4 years ago using Remote Search.

When I implemented this, and stopped syncing forever, my battery life improved tremendously.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    12-20-16 03:22 PM
    With Remote Search (the option(s) that appear at the bottom of your Hub search results), it seems unnecessary to sync forever... I have a regular Gmail and a Google Apps account, and I keep them both at 90 days, and I can still find emails from 4 years ago using Remote Search.

When I implemented this, and stopped syncing forever, my battery life improved tremendously.
    I'm not disputing your experience, but when my sync-forever Hub doesn't make the top 10 list of battery usage, would I gain anything by syncing less?
    12-20-16 11:53 PM
    I'm not disputing your experience, but when my sync-forever Hub doesn't make the top 10 list of battery usage, would I gain anything by syncing less?
    I guess it is a bigger issue if you have multiple accounts synced to forever. That creates a large database to reconcile and as such uses more battery life. I moved from forever to 90 days and my battery life has been awesome. Using push on accounts that you don't get frequent email may use less resources and syncing every 15-30 minutes maybe more efficient on accounts where you get many emails also.
    12-21-16 07:43 AM
    I would say the bigger concern is the initial sync period. Once the sync is complete it appears that battery life stabilizes. With remote search I only sync 90 days, but once the full inbox syncs I would imagine battery life would get more consistent.
    01-02-17 09:00 PM
    Resurrecting a bit of an older thread here but the search function worked, so here goes.

Months ago I had high batter drain due to HUB+ Services when my work Activesync email sync timeframe was set to forever. This is after the expected initial sync period. So I switched it to 30 days, problem solved, great battery life.

Fast forward to today. Switched sync timeframe to forever and after initial sync period seeing high HUB+ Services usage again and poor battery life.

Question is if this is expected and normal? I thought after the initial sync period, given the same usage, battery life should be about the same, am I incorrect? Any chance of getting sync timeframes between 30 days and forever, or customizable?
    08-11-17 08:16 AM
    Regarding sync timeframes: the ActiveSync protocol does not support custom sync window settings. There is a list, defined by Microsoft in the protocol documents, that has the allowable settings.
    08-11-17 01:54 PM
    Regarding sync timeframes: the ActiveSync protocol does not support custom sync window settings. There is a list, defined by Microsoft in the protocol documents, that has the allowable settings.
    Thanks, that answers one question. How about the HUB+ Services usage after initial syncing? How long should the initial sync even take?
    08-11-17 03:34 PM
    I'm not sure about the battery usage.

Initial sync time is hugely variable based on the number of messages. There's a big difference between a mailbox with 1000 messages and a mailbox with 50,000 messages.
    08-11-17 04:06 PM
    I'm not sure about the battery usage.

Initial sync time is hugely variable based on the number of messages. There's a big difference between a mailbox with 1000 messages and a mailbox with 50,000 messages.
    Any idea if we're talking a matter of hours or days?
    08-11-17 07:56 PM
    This is what I'm seeing for usage after setting the sync timeframe to forever a few days ago.
    08-11-17 08:14 PM
    Anyone have experience with Nine Mail or other email App that works well with Activesync?
    08-12-17 03:45 PM
    That is unexpectedly high, I agree. Do you know how to take an Android Bug Report?
    08-13-17 02:30 PM
    That is unexpectedly high, I agree. Do you know how to take an Android Bug Report?
    No, but I will look it up and do so. Should I PM it to you or email somewhere specific?

With email sync set to 30 days, the HUB+ Services battery usage is minimal over the course of a day, just a few percent. With only changing the email sync interval to forever, the usage jumps to like 20% and this is several days after making the change.

Thanks for your time on this.
    08-13-17 03:27 PM
    Please email the resulting zip file to [email protected].
    08-14-17 04:52 PM
    Please email the resulting zip file to [email protected].
    Done just now.

Thank you.
    08-14-17 07:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD