Any former Z30 users that went to DTEK60 out there? Any opinions, pros, cons, nice features (other than the obvious upgraded hardware, camera, memory capacity, etc), deficiencies, etc.?

Posted via CB10
    dangerousfen likes this.
    11-03-16 02:07 PM
    Also interested in this.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-16 02:14 PM
    Forgot to mention... battery life!!! I get a day & a half, sometimes two days, on average on my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-16 02:25 PM
    Any former Z30 users that went to DTEK60 out there? Any opinions, pros, cons, nice features (other than the obvious upgraded hardware, camera, memory capacity, etc), deficiencies, etc.?

Posted via CB10
    I've a dtek50 ( not 60) since its launch. Used z30 for 2 years and still love bb10. Since bb10 is at the end of of its life if you decide to move to android get either the Dtek50 or dtek60. This is by far one of the best android OS out there.

With all the BlackBerry features such as hub, keyboard, productivity tab and swipe up widgets it makes android tolerable. Still not bb10, but this is the next best thing.

Battery life is not going to be same as z30. At best you'll probably get a day. But you've all the aps you can play with

Incidentally I fired up my z30 yesterday just to try it out. I found it very very slow compared to dtek. I guess I got used to this phone now.

So go ahead and get one.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    11-03-16 03:01 PM
    I'm five days into a Z30 to DTEK60 switch. So far I am very happy with the DTEK60. The HW upgrade is very welcome. Android apps obviously run so much better on a native Android device. Fast charging is great as is USB C. Finger print scanner is super convenient. Lack of Paratek antenna is apparent for me in certain areas I frequent. The Z30 was a champ at maintaining a strong signal because of this. I wish BB would license Paratek out to their HW partners. From an OS perspective, I miss the BB10 swiping and gestures, as well as the ability to swipe back and forth between the multitasking screen and the app launcher screen(s). So far I don't find context menu options to be as robust in Android. The overall OS will take some getting used to. Google services are great as is the cloud integration with Drive for any documents.The Android Hub is good, though for anything other than email it is somewhat useless as it just opens the app behind the scenes (ex. Whatsapp, IG). The Android notification system is more useful for apps like this. Contacts app is also not as good as on BB10. No ability to link someones FB and/or LinkedIn profile to their local/cloud contact in your address book that I can see. Not a huge loss, but being able to see a contacts end to end profile is a very nice extra feature to have. DTEK60 battery life is also good so far. Much better than my Z30 that I had to constantly charge throughout the day. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.
    11-03-16 03:07 PM
    I've a dtek50 ( not 60) since its launch. Used z30 for 2 years and still love bb10. Since bb10 is at the end of of its life if you decide to move to android get either the Dtek50 or dtek60. This is by far one of the best android OS out there.

With all the BlackBerry features such as hub, keyboard, productivity tab and swipe up widgets it makes android tolerable. Still not bb10, but this is the next best thing.

Battery life is not going to be same as z30. At best you'll probably get a day. But you've all the aps you can play with

Incidentally I fired up my z30 yesterday just to try it out. I found it very very slow compared to dtek. I guess I got used to this phone now.

So go ahead and get one.
    Agree with this. I have the 60. Idk if it is one of the best Android os out there but it is one of the best from what I've used. I can find Android to be a bit frustrating at times to get used to but have never felt any versions to be intolerable. This one seems pretty efficient and I'd say so far my battery is doing better than Z30! The Dtek app is something to add that I really like also
    11-03-16 06:04 PM
    Hi,
    I had been using my Z30 alternately with the Passport for the last 2 years. Most of the time I used the Z30. I made the switch last Friday to Dtek60. So far I'm happy with my choice.

Dtek60 good points :
    Much faster than the Z
    Beautiful device, very thin
    Native app support
    Excellent battery life better than both my Z30 and PassPort
    Takes great pictures. Picture quality is better than Z30 , on par with PP
    No call lag !
    Call and speaker quality
    The Bad: ATT hot spot issue, notification sounds should be louder

Z30 good points over Dtek:
    BB10 , so much more fluid and intuitive than Android
    Sound quality and volume
    Better Hub
    Fits in pocket well
    Onscreen typing experience better due to slightly smaller screen
    Multi color led

Hope this helps
    tonythecanuck and Kot Prada like this.
    11-03-16 07:08 PM
    I'm five days into a Z30 to DTEK60 switch. So far I am very happy with the DTEK60. The HW upgrade is very welcome. Android apps obviously run so much better on a native Android device. Fast charging is great as is USB C. Finger print scanner is super convenient. Lack of Paratek antenna is apparent for me in certain areas I frequent. The Z30 was a champ at maintaining a strong signal because of this. I wish BB would license Paratek out to their HW partners. From an OS perspective, I miss the BB10 swiping and gestures, as well as the ability to swipe back and forth between the multitasking screen and the app launcher screen(s). So far I don't find context menu options to be as robust in Android. The overall OS will take some getting used to. Google services are great as is the cloud integration with Drive for any documents.The Android Hub is good, though for anything other than email it is somewhat useless as it just opens the app behind the scenes (ex. Whatsapp, IG). The Android notification system is more useful for apps like this. Contacts app is also not as good as on BB10. No ability to link someones FB and/or LinkedIn profile to their local/cloud contact in your address book that I can see. Not a huge loss, but being able to see a contacts end to end profile is a very nice extra feature to have. DTEK60 battery life is also good so far. Much better than my Z30 that I had to constantly charge throughout the day. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.
    Thanks very much for the review! I have had the Torch2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, and now the Priv. I love the Priv, but I also miss OS10 and the native BlackBerry apps, HUB, and Virtual keyboard. I like the Priv, however, since it's a slider, has great bright display, great virtual and pkb, fantastic rear 18MP camera, and access to tons of Android apps.

Hoping the DTEK60 is even better!
    11-03-16 07:24 PM
    Hi,
    I had been using my Z30 alternately with the Passport for the last 2 years. Most of the time I used the Z30. I made the switch last Friday to Dtek60. So far I'm happy with my choice.

Dtek60 good points :
    Much faster than the Z
    Native app support
    No call lag !
    Call and speaker quality

Sound quality and volume
    Better Hub
    Fits in pocket well
    Multi color led

Hope this helps
    I agree with all your comments about the Z30. I've had the Torch2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, and the Priv.

I love the Android Priv, with fantastic 18MP camera, virtual and pkb, lots of apps, and big bright display.

I still miss the Z30, however. I still find OS10 smooth and dependable, I loved native BlackBerry apps, the HUB, and the original BlackBerry keyboard. The Z30 0S10 also had a great solid build, great AMOLED display, and loud speakers. The Passport was also a great device.

I hope the DTEK60 is even better....
    Kot Prada likes this.
    11-03-16 07:28 PM
    Contacts app is also not as good as on BB10. No ability to link someones FB and/or LinkedIn profile to their local/cloud contact in your address book that I can see. Not a huge loss, but being able to see a contacts end to end profile is a very nice extra feature to have.
    This is something that annoys me on Android, I too desire this and it's pretty much hit or miss (a lot of miss) depending on whose software is on the device. Seeing as how I possibly will move to Android soon, this is disappointing to hear about BlackBerry's Android OS. For example though, on my girlfriend's Galaxy Note 5, Samsung has done a great job with their contacts app, it has everything from FB, LinkedIn, Viber, Whatsapp, etc. This should be something that's default across Android.

EDIT: Was lurking through the Google Play store and actually found this app: Contacts Phone Dialer

A little snippet from the description: "★ Start all your communication apps from one place – Once we know who we want to contact, we have plenty of apps to choose from. drupe makes it much easier to decide which one to use, and to quickly start the interaction. Dialer, WhatsApp, SMS, Facebook Messenger, Skype, telephone… are all in, and there are more."
    Last edited by Plazmic Flame; 11-03-16 at 07:56 PM.
    11-03-16 07:39 PM
    Hi,

Dtek60 good points :
    Much faster than the Z
    Native app support
    No call lag !
    Call and speaker quality

Sound quality and volume
    Better Hub
    Fits in pocket well
    Multi color led

Hope this helps
    you nailed it. For my first charge, I used the rapid charger, and battery life was very poor. For my second charge, I used the included charger. It took longer, but it set battery memory and I am through day 2 with 35% remaining.
    Hub is ok but not quite as good as on BB10, contacts and calendar are a bit different, but ok. Still not used to having to click instead of swiping. Lots left to learn about android....not sure how the camera sticks out won't become an issue or problem regarding damage to camera.....not a fan of the slick glass back, but grippy with the included soft case (I never used a case on my Z30, which stood up after more than a few drops over 3 years of use). Overall, if and when you put your Z30 on the shelf, the DTEK 60 is a good way to go.
    jlsr likes this.
    11-03-16 09:11 PM
    Wow... thank you all for your input, comments, opinions, advice, etc. Lots to consider before retiring my Z30.
    Has anyone moved their Contacts, Password Keeper, & Remember info from their Z30 to the DTEK60? Was it painful or painless?
    On a side note, I've been reading some rumours about the iPhone 8 & Galaxy S8 and that they might do away with the home button. The BlackBerry Z series don't have the home button and that was done about three years ago. Was BlackBerry ahead of its time? Go figure! :-)

Posted via CB10
    11-03-16 10:12 PM
    Honestly, after all comments, I see only, that DTEK60 is on the same level as Z30 or even a bit worse.

Notice the fact, when people just bought their DTEK60, first few months they will place it much higher in their mind, than it is in reality (simple psychology of a buyer).
    11-04-16 06:02 AM
    Occasionally I think it is time to move away from my reliable z30...But I keep coming back for a few reasons. The last time I tried to switch, I bought LG G4 (at the time one of the better android phones). I liked a lots of things, primarily camera and apps availability, double tap to wake is awesome.... android OS not as much, as it seems like it is all over the place. But missed some BB10 features too. So used on bedside mode, the best keyboard, lets not talk about battery life, alarm sound,ease of hub email acct integration and seamless use, omg BB Blend?, multi color led, even ring tone....So I thought I'll use cracked BB Priv apps and make it more BB10 alike (could not make calendar work), then loaded alarm and ring tone as well, fought with bedside alike apps/settings... but then I realized if I need all this, is the camera and apps worth switching? I really didn't care much about apps but nice camera would be really welcomed in my Z30. Sooooo.... back to my Z30. :-)
    Last edited by fadmin; 11-04-16 at 08:25 AM.
    11-04-16 08:13 AM
    Well, single people do not buy family van just because they plan to get married and have kids at some point. There is no much things that even yaris can't do what bmw does... for lot more money. It gets you from point a to b. But all this aside, if I had a better camera on my Z30, I would never even think about switching, but it all depends what are you into...
    My bid has a z30 and its still a competent phone. But the dtek60 is a massive upgrade. Its the new z30.
    11-04-16 08:34 AM
    Occasionally I think it is time to move away from my reliable z30...But I keep coming back for a few reasons. The last time I tried to switch, I bought LG G4 (at the time one of the better android phones). I liked a lots of things, primarily camera and apps availability, double tap to wake is awesome.... android OS not as much, as it seems like it is all over the place. But missed some BB10 features too. So used on bedside mode, the best keyboard, lets not talk about battery life, alarm sound,ease of hub email acct integration and seamless use, omg BB Blend?, multi color led, even ring tone....So I thought I'll use cracked BB Priv apps and make it more BB10 alike (could not make calendar work), then loaded alarm and ring tone as well, fought with bedside alike apps/settings... but then I realized if I need all this, is the camera and apps worth switching? I really didn't care much about apps but nice camera would be really welcomed in my Z30. Sooooo.... back to my Z30. :-)
    I made the switch to BlackBerry Android and I don't miss my Z30 at all. It took a few weeks to get used to but the Android HUB is much better now and the keyboard is the same as the Z30.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    11-04-16 08:41 AM
    My bid has a z30 and its still a competent phone. But the dtek60 is a massive upgrade. Its the new z30.
    I agree, it is a massive upgrade hardware wise...wish it runs BB10 though. Or even better, dual boot :-)
    Pcmx likes this.
    11-04-16 08:42 AM
    I made the switch to BlackBerry Android and I don't miss my Z30 at all. It took a few weeks to get used to but the Android HUB is much better now and the keyboard is the same as the Z30.
    Good for you. But that's what I am saying, we are all different. And honestly I am very close to make that decision but due to all reasons I stated above kind of postponing it.
    This is what I used in the past, and I mean used not just for a couple of days:

7290>8700>8800:8300>8310>8900>9000>9700>9800>9810> 9900>Iphone 4, 5,Galaxy Note 2, Z10, Z30,LG G2, Nexus5> Z10>LG G3>Z30>LG G4>Z30...
    Kot Prada and madh263362 like this.
    11-04-16 08:45 AM
    Good for you. But that's what I am saying, we are all different. And honestly I am very close to make that decision but due to all reasons I stated above kind of postponing it.

7290>8700>8800:8300>8310>8900>9000>9700>9800>9810> 9900>Iphone 4, 5,Galaxy Note 2, Z10, Z30,LG G2, Nexus5> Z10>LG G3>Z30>LG G4>Z30...
    Understand what you're saying. I'm a big fan on bb10 too. In my case it's the reverse. When I decided to move out of bb10 I didn't like any of the android phones. But once I started using dtek50 initially I missed some bb10 features but now wither I've a workaround or got used to the android way.

I just booted up my z30 for fun the other day and I found it soon slow compared to dtek50. Even the emails arrived fractionally faster on dtek50. Bb10 used to be the best for emails. But android hub is pretty close to it now.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    11-04-16 10:07 AM
    Wow... thank you all for your input, comments, opinions, advice, etc. Lots to consider before retiring my Z30.
    Has anyone moved their Contacts, Password Keeper, & Remember info from their Z30 to the DTEK60? Was it painful or painless?
    On a side note, I've been reading some rumours about the iPhone 8 & Galaxy S8 and that they might do away with the home button. The BlackBerry Z series don't have the home button and that was done about three years ago. Was BlackBerry ahead of its time? Go figure! :-)

Posted via CB10
    Those phones are still going to have home buttons, but they will be software buttons and not physical buttons on the bezel. The home button concept is not about to go away anytime soon. BB10 should have also had one in addition to the swiping. It would have made the transition over to a gesture driven OS so much simpler.
    11-04-16 10:44 AM

I've had the Torch2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, and now the Priv.

I too still love the Z30 for the OS10, solid build, big battery, great AMOLED display, loud speakers, BlackBerry HUB, great virtual keyboard, HDMI and USB ports, Paratek antenna, FM radio, etc.

However, the Priv has a great big bright display, both BlackBerry PKB and VKB, fast processor, fantastic 18MP camera, great build, BlackBerry HUB, DTEK security, and access to all those Android apps.

Still considering the DTEK60.... Hope it is a step up.
    bigjman likes this.
    11-04-16 11:16 AM
    yeah i switched to an LG G4 (stil the better camera out there) and never looked back. DO not miss one thing about BB. Oh wait. The bb kb which i loaded onto my G4. That's it. Android OS is so easy to use, notifications beat the HUB anyday and everything is fast and smooth. I imagine the dtek60 is just as capable...
    11-04-16 04:32 PM
    don't understand how you could have all these issues with a G4. Mine runs better than my z30 ever did in every way. and never had an issue with notifications, led or sound volume, profiles, etc. too bed you didn't give it more of a chance. But be happy with your choice. that's all we can say.
    11-04-16 04:35 PM
    Can someone post a pick comparing sizes of Z30 to DETK60. Maybe the z on the detk

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 04:42 PM
    Can someone post a pick comparing sizes of Z30 to DETK60. Maybe the z on the detk

Posted via CB10
    Yes please! My biggest concern is the size compared to the Z30, which I find to be just shout perfect.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 05:00 PM
48 12