Folks,

Will the DTEK60 follow the lead of the DTEK50 and be available only directly from BlackBerry and 3rd Party sources and NOT sold by carriers, OR will it be available via the carriers? Here in the US I mean.
    09-26-16 02:17 PM
    Same as the DTEK50 I would imagine. Direct sales + Canadian carriers.
    09-26-16 02:19 PM
    Yeah, it's probably going to be like the DTEK50/Leap/Q5 were.
    09-26-16 02:21 PM
    Anyone feel confident enough for me to mark as "best answer"?
    09-26-16 02:26 PM
    Might as well wait a couple days and get it from the horse's mouth, no?
    09-26-16 02:29 PM
    Based on past evidence it will be same as Chen's previous complete failures at carrier relations.

Translation... likely no WiFi calling or LTE band 12 on Tmobile.

Just as stupid as building a car without consideration of the roads on which it needs to be driven.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-26-16 02:44 PM
    Both for sure

09-26-16 02:48 PM
    Anyone feel confident enough for me to mark as "best answer"?
    No, but I can report it as abuse
    09-26-16 02:57 PM
    Based on past evidence it will be same as Chen's previous complete failures at carrier relations.

Translation... likely no WiFi calling or LTE band 12 on Tmobile.

Just as stupid as building a car without consideration of the roads on which it needs to be driven.

According to the FCC (https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3143807) the BBA100-1 has at least LTE bands 4, 5, 7, 12 and 17, so Band 12 is there.

The donotpublish document (http://web.archive.org/web/201609200...otpublish.html) has bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17, 20 and 29 in the North America model.
    Jrox74 likes this.
    09-26-16 03:02 PM
    No, but I can report it as abuse
    I'll pass on that!
    zephyr613 likes this.
    09-26-16 04:46 PM
    Might as well wait a couple days and get it from the horse's mouth, no?
    Sounds like a plan!
    09-26-16 04:47 PM
    I'm guessing that Verizon customers will be SOL going forward. Alcatel doesn't make CDMA phones, and I don't think blackberry will be willing to spend the money to add that flavor. Better buy up the privs and hope that I get marshmallow one day...

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and FF22 like this.
    09-26-16 06:48 PM
    I'm going to go ahead and say yes. It will be probably the usual suspects, shop BlackBerry, Amazon, Blue Shop, EBAY and eventually the carriers...

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting to get my hands on a DTEK50 demo unit at any of the carriers in my country. For now all I can find is either a mock device or the Idol equivalent...

The DTEK60 will be sometime in coming...or maybe not...

Respect My Autoritah!
    09-26-16 07:16 PM
    According to the FCC (https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3143807) the BBA100-1 has at least LTE bands 4, 5, 7, 12 and 17, so Band 12 is there.

The donotpublish document (http://web.archive.org/web/201609200...otpublish.html) has bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17, 20 and 29 in the North America model.
    My point is not about what the hardware is capable of... but rather chen's bull headed refusal to engage carrier relations such that noted hardware is activated on one of the most popular carriers.

09-26-16 11:31 PM
    My point is not about what the hardware is capable of... but rather chen's bull headed refusal to engage carrier relations such that noted hardware is activated on one of the most popular carriers.

The expense of chasing carriers is not warranted by the low-volume target market of the devices in question.
    Jrox74 likes this.
    09-26-16 11:44 PM
    People are too lazy to find blackberry devices online on amazon,ebay or anything. That's why most assume that blackberry is dead. To appeal to the customers u need to have some demo units on display in a carrier store. No one talks about blackberry outside the crackberry forums,they need to find a solution to get back in the consumer market again. Enterprise alone's not gonna make 'em profitable again.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Karan Riar; 09-27-16 at 02:26 AM.
    09-27-16 01:46 AM
    I am most sure that the way it is selling the DTEK 50 it will be the same for DTEK 60 as well.
    If they would try to improve the relations with the carriers in order to put some demo units in the carrier stores in order to try them and therefore to buy them. A big problem from the beginning it was the marketing of Blackberry and sale representatives in the field...... You want to sell as much as you can but for that you must be known, seen, tried and convince the others that for their money they will get something very good in exchange.
    09-27-16 02:24 AM
    The expense of chasing carriers is not warranted by the low-volume target market of the devices in question.
    The consequences of not chasing carriers will insure that one is ALWAYS a low-volume player.

Why play if you don't wanna win?

09-27-16 07:19 AM
    I am most sure that the way it is selling the DTEK 50 it will be the same for DTEK 60 as well.
    If they would try to improve the relations with the carriers in order to put some demo units in the carrier stores in order to try them and therefore to buy them. A big problem from the beginning it was the marketing of Blackberry and sale representatives in the field...... You want to sell as much as you can but for that you must be known, seen, tried and convince the others that for their money they will get something very good in exchange.
    Problem is.... history.

BlackBerry at this point is a well known commodity for US Carrier's. If there was a "market" for these phones, they would carry them. Think the PRIV was BlackBerry's one last shot in the US market... and I don't think sales to consumers or the Enterprise/Government ment anyone's expectations - pricing was all wrong and BlackBerry did not do the things that the US market requires of a flagship. Maybe if the US Government or a few really large enterprise customers asked Verizon or AT&T to carry these phones.. they would in some limited way. But I just don't belive there are many of those customers willing to invest in this latest BlackBerry "trial run". Maybe if Chen comes out and says... "we are in the hardware business for the long term" that will change.
    09-27-16 07:19 AM
    Problem is.... history.

Maybe if Chen comes out and says... "we are in the hardware business for the long term" that will change.
    If Chen did come out and say that... nobody would believe him!

And, given Chen's previous statements on the future of hardware, who'd blame them for doubting.
    FF22 and Wezard like this.
    09-27-16 08:45 AM
    If Chen did come out and say that... nobody would believe him!

And, given Chen's previous statements on the future of hardware, who'd blame them for doubting.
    Probably not... but better than reminding them that there is a good chance the next BlackBerry they buy might be the last. For enterprise it isn't a matter of just buying one phone. It's a matter of making an commitment and an investment into a product. Just don't see how any IT department could really invest in the DTEK solutions....
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-27-16 09:12 AM
    The consequences of not chasing carriers will insure that one is ALWAYS a low-volume player.

Why play if you don't wanna win?
    BB has known since the summer of 2013 that they had no chance of winning this game. They have no illusions of trying to compete with the big boys - if they thought they needed to do that, they'd have exited hardware entirely.

Chen has been very straightforward: he's keeping hardware alive for people who want a BB - but he's quite aware that that's a small audience, and he's figured out how to keep making phones at comparatively low cost to the company, so that losses have been minimized. If BB spent the money needed to meet the carrier's expectations, they might get some additional sales, but the costs would result in BIG losses again, because they don't make enough margin on these phones to pay any of those costs.

tl;dr - They aren't trying to win - they know they lost - they're just trying to support their (relatively few) remaining fans.
    09-27-16 09:41 AM
    People still don't get it. Hardware is only a small percentage of what BlackBerry wants to do. They are in the software business. Hardware is required only to further that goal.

Pushing carriers is absolutely pointless as employees there will never promote anything but the big two or three. I think what they are doing is correct for the markets and product offerings they are focusing in on.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 09:49 AM
    Stores don't like to display blackberries, it would be better to deal with a carrier on the phone though. Might even get a better deal on a phone plan

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 10:12 AM
    Just on a lark I decided to see what BlackBerry phones the 4 major US carriers currently offer. It was NOT a pretty picture! T-Mobile & Sprint, NADA! Verizon and AT&T, just the Priv. So yea I think it's a safe bet we won't see them selling the DTEK60 either! lol
    09-27-16 11:19 AM
83 123 ...