I currently enjoy my RGB Led Notification on my Z30. I don't even have to pick up my Z30 to tell if the message I received is important or not. The color led let's me know right away.

I'm wondering if the Dtek60 will have this feature. I've searched high and low and the only thing I discovered is that the Dtek50 does not and has a useless camera flash as a notification led (just awful) . I don't have my phone glued to my hand and often have it laying on a table, desk, counter top, passenger seat,...etc.

Does anyone have any insight?? Are there other Android phones that do???

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 10:36 PM
    Just red. As noted on the specsheet.
    asiayeah likes this.
    10-01-16 10:50 PM
    I guess dozens complained hard enough that the DTEK50 had a white LED, now they made it red.
    10-01-16 11:22 PM
    If they are going out of their way to put a red one why not put a RGB? Really how much would it have cost more?
    Don't get it

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-01-16 11:47 PM
    If they are going out of their way to put a red one why not put a RGB? Really how much would it have cost more?
    Don't get it

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Who exactly do you think is going out of their way here? lol TCL/Alcatel?
    10-01-16 11:49 PM
    Don't get it

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    RGB versus a white LED requires additional lines. Red LED vs White LED is just a swap in parts on the production line.

So yes, it would cost more.
    deadcowboy likes this.
    10-02-16 12:25 AM
    RGB versus a white LED requires additional lines. Red LED vs White LED is just a swap in parts on the production line.

So yes, it would cost more.
    I believe it still has the white LED as a front facing flash
    But I could be wrong

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-02-16 01:07 AM
    Man, lately you've been mean and sarcastic.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 06:16 AM
    Wow that's just brutal that it won't have a RGB led. Well I guess a red led is better than a white one.

Blackberry has definitely lost all engineering design control by outsourcing. It's just like wanting to order a Coke in a restaurant that only sells Pepsi products! You only get what's on the menu!

So disappointing. The led is just one compromise associated with their new outsourcing strategy. I wonder what's next. BlackBerry might have been in a better position to hand over their software licensing to Samsung!

Well thanks everyone for your feedback. As my Z30 approaches it's EOL I'll have to really consider my options. Simply transitioning to another BlackBerry might not be the solution.

Posted via CB10
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-02-16 08:22 AM
    BlackBerry really
    Because they are adding something over the base model

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-02-16 08:31 AM
    BlackBerry really
    Because they are adding something over the base model
    BlackBerry aren't adding anything to the base model except software. All the hardware comes straight out of TCL's catalogue. BB's design input is zero!
    10-02-16 10:43 AM
    BlackBerry aren't adding anything to the base model except software. All the hardware comes straight out of TCL's catalogue. BB's design input is zero!
    Actually if I were BlackBerry I would add the words Android on the back as well, just to tick off BerrySoul.
    JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    10-02-16 10:50 AM
    What about the back cover

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-02-16 11:01 AM
    If they are including a RED led, they are sorta deviating a little right? Might as well put the RGB one in that case

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-02-16 11:07 AM
    BB paid the few bucks to have their logo put on a custom back. It'll be an option in the TCL catalogue, just as a red led instead of a white led will be. Neither is "design" as I understand the term, or what I've been doing for years with the free Apple stickers by putting them on the lid of my Windows laptops also counts as design.

As was mentioned above, a RGB led requires additional control lines... a change to the circuitry... which is design, and probably something neither BB or TCL were willing to consider IMO.
    10-02-16 11:15 AM
    RGB requires at least two additional switching transistors (GPIO outputs on the SOC.) If the luminance is exactly matched you can then get red, green, blue, magenta, yellow, cyan and white without an (additional) PWM circuit for each channel. With a PWM circuit (and the kernel driver support for it) on each of the three you then could have essentially any color. Some devices have PWM control on the notification LED channels exposed through a kernel driver (which is quite trivial to write; it's a few dozen lines of code.)
    jamdown2, StephanieMaks and TGR1 like this.
    10-02-16 11:39 AM
    Thanks for clearing that out
    Would have liked to see the RGB LED none the less. :/

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-02-16 11:55 AM
    Not exactly zero when you get to mix and match whatever that's possible in a model range.

---
    It's all about driving down costs and providing the right solutions at the right price point, right?

Most consumers wouldn't care less. Phones rotate more often than before. Value is no longer on hardware but on software.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    10-02-16 03:32 PM
    Shame that yet another trademark Blackberry feature is getting lost :/

The good thing is the RGB led is great for BB loyalist, I'm used to having a RGB LED since my very old 8800, it's a awesome feature, but I think most of the general consumer don't give a damn about having a single color or RGB LED, or having LED at all. So the cost of implementing it would probabily have zero return
    10-02-16 08:06 PM
    This would be difficult to lose for me as on my priv, I have led colors set for various contacts and events to alert me when on silent, etc.
    10-02-16 10:02 PM
    This would be difficult to lose for me as on my priv, I have led colors set for various contacts and events to alert me when on silent, etc.
    The PRIV will probably be the only option that I have for now. It'll buy me a little more time I guess. Just don't like the idea of buying something that's been out for a while. At least I'm guessing many of the bugs have been worked out.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 12:33 PM
    The PRIV will probably be the only option that I have for now. It'll buy me a little more time I guess. Just don't like the idea of buying something that's been out for a while. At least I'm guessing many of the bugs have been worked out.

Posted via CB10
    I'm feeling the same way.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 12:40 PM