Hello Crackberry Community! I recently switched from BB10 to my DTEK60 on the Rogers network. After a bit of a learning curve, I am loving the experience.
    I am interested in learning how system updates and security patches work. First off.. (please forgive my ignorance)...are Security updates and System updates two separate things, or one in the same?
    Second, I learn about system and security updates here on Crackberry, and it appears that there is little consistency regarding when these are rolled out to users. Some of us are on Android Security Patches from Oct, others from Nov, and still others have the Dec one. Do the carriers control the dissemination of the updates to users? If so, why is it that some of us using the same carrier receive updates at different times? Looking to learn from those in the know. Thanks.
    12-12-16 08:18 PM
    Security updates are smaller monthly system updates which resolve security issues discovered and fixed.
    If you buy your device from a carrier, you are at their mercy for update rollout, though usually most are pretty good about it having only a slight delay from unlocked devices
    There are 'jerk' carriers of course, which from what I can tell are mainly 2 of the big American ones
    12-12-16 08:33 PM
    I purchased my DTEK60 from Crackberry, but I am on Rogers, a Canadian carrier. What I find odd is that some DTEK60 owners, also on Rogers, receive updates earlier than others... Maybe this is a question I could pose to the carrier.
    12-12-16 09:46 PM
    It's should be simple but it's not. Usually unlocked devices from CrackBerry or BlackBerry receive updates prior to carrier. But then that depends on the type of updates. The example would be the 5th of the month is generally when security updates are released. But Android is odd, and BlackBerry doesn't help the cause not hurt it.

What I mean is that my Pixel is running Android Nougat 7.1.1 with the December Security Updates. My DTEK50 is still running Marshmallow but received the December Security Updates. So is the DTEK50 with Marshmallow, DTEK App, and December Patches as secure as the Pixel with Nougat 7.1.1 and the December Patch? I have no idea.

Ultimately the user is the greatest risk to their device anyway.
    12-12-16 10:27 PM
    I purchased my DTEK60 from Crackberry, but I am on Rogers, a Canadian carrier. What I find odd is that some DTEK60 owners, also on Rogers, receive updates earlier than others... Maybe this is a question I could pose to the carrier.
    You need to consider that some folks are also in the beta testing for OS updates via the BlackBerry Beta Zone and as such, will get OS updates delivered somewhat faster to them.
    12-12-16 10:48 PM
    What I mean is that my Pixel is running Android Nougat 7.1.1 with the December Security Updates. My DTEK50 is still running Marshmallow but received the December Security Updates. So is the DTEK50 with Marshmallow, DTEK App, and December Patches as secure as the Pixel with Nougat 7.1.1 and the December Patch? I have no idea.
    Aside from the core OS functions in Nougat that target security, yes. That's exactly what it means. Your device is as close to 'Pixel secure' as it can get without running Nougat.
    anon(10101748) likes this.
    12-12-16 10:49 PM
    Definitely something went wrong with this process recently.
    December security update sent out to Google Pixel and Nexus phone on the 5th of december at latest, but the EMEA DTEK60s and PRIVs are still on november patch level, and even worse, the DTEK50s are on october patch level. I'm not sure this has anything to do with carriers here.
    12-13-16 05:01 AM
    I am not on Beta. Phone from shop blackberry and I received my update on the 5th
    12-13-16 07:39 AM
    My DTEK60 on Bell Mobility network still at November update, and a DTEK50 on Telus still at October update... Both are unlocked devices. C'mon BlackBerry, fix this! Why can't we just get the update directly from BlackBerry?

Edit: Finally just got the update for the DTEK60
    Last edited by practikl; 12-13-16 at 04:15 PM.
    12-13-16 08:25 AM
    I am not on Beta. Phone from shop blackberry and I received my update on the 5th
    Who do you have as a carrier and what device are you using?
    12-13-16 01:29 PM
    My DTEK60 on Bell Mobility network still at November update, and a DTEK50 on Telus still at October update... Both are unlocked devices. C'mon BlackBerry, fix this! Why can't we just get the update directly from BlackBerry?
    Received my December update this morning for my dtek60.
    12-13-16 01:45 PM
    Well if you have a Dtek60 you get your updates from BlackBerry not Bell. If you didn't get it check manually.
    12-13-16 02:43 PM
    Just got the November update on my dtek50
    12-13-16 03:30 PM
    Wow! What a surprise!
    I just checked my unlocked DTEK50 on Telus which was still on the October 05 patch for the second time today and finally got an update notice. Installing now.

Update: Took over 20 minutes to install and optimize 67 apps, but I'm now on the November 06 Security Patch, Build AAH990.
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 12-13-16 at 04:19 PM.
    12-13-16 03:53 PM
    Just checked and I received the Dec update today on my DTEK60 on Rogers
    12-13-16 09:32 PM