Hi dtek60 owners, I have two questions about the phone I hope you can answer for me.

Does the dtek60 come loaded with the same notification sounds that my old Z30 has? I'm wondering if Blackberry loads these on the phone still.

Also, is the usual Blackberry "Slate" font used for the dtek60? If it isn't, is there a way to install ttf fonts on android phones?

I guess I'd like a new dtek60 to be similar to my Z30 which I think is an awesome but older phone.
    11-05-16 09:45 PM
    I'm not sure about notification sounds, but you can always copy them manually from your old phone.

Also not sure about the font as I didn't have old BBs, probably not. I think it uses default Android fonts. You can install custom ttf fonts on Android, but it requires either built-in support (I believe Samsung and HTC have it and some less known Chinese manufacturers) or by copying them manually to fonts folder which requires root access. Neither of those two options is possible on the Priv, so it most likely isn't on DTEK60 either, unfortunately.

You were probably hoping for a more positive answer, but this is the best I can do.
    zensen likes this.
    11-06-16 04:41 AM
    I'm not sure about notification sounds, but you can always copy them manually from your old phone.

Also not sure about the font as I didn't have old BBs, probably not. I think it uses default Android fonts. You can install custom ttf fonts on Android, but it requires either built-in support (I believe Samsung and HTC have it and some less known Chinese manufacturers) or by copying them manually to fonts folder which requires root access. Neither of those two options is possible on the Priv, so it most likely isn't on DTEK60 either, unfortunately.

You were probably hoping for a more positive answer, but this is the best I can do.
    I'm not a fan of the Android font used either. I guess BlackBerry can built into the OS and give is the nice BlackBerry font we were used to on BB10. But I don't think we will ever see that.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 07:10 AM
    I'm not a fan of the Android font used either. I guess BlackBerry can built into the OS and give is the nice BlackBerry font we were used to on BB10. But I don't think we will ever see that.

Posted via CB10
    Of course they could. On a rooted phone you literally just overwrite default fonts in /system/fonts, I did it on my last phone; but obviously BlackBerry wanted a near-stock Android experience so they chose not to change such things.
    11-06-16 08:46 AM
    Of course they could. On a rooted phone you literally just overwrite default fonts in /system/fonts, I did it on my last phone; but obviously BlackBerry wanted a near-stock Android experience so they chose not to change such things.
    I know they can, but will BlackBerry ever do that since the DTEK60 can't be rooted? That's the question to be answered. That's what I meant when I said, we will probably never see that. I know that using a rooted phone, you can install whatever font you want, but since the DTEK60 isn't rooted, we have rely on BlackBerry to provide us different style of fonts like they did back in the BBOS7 days. It's nice to offer customization to a BlackBerry Android experience.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 10:33 AM
    I know they can, but will BlackBerry ever do that since the DTEK60 can't be rooted? That's the question to be answered. That's what I meant when I said, we will probably never see that. I know that using a rooted phone, you can install whatever font you want, but since the DTEK60 isn't rooted, we have rely on BlackBerry to provide us different style of fonts like they did back in the BBOS7 days. It's nice to offer customization to a BlackBerry Android experience.

Posted via CB10
    What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't depend on rooting. At least not for BlackBerry. They can implement it like Samsung does:
    How to change system fonts on Samsung Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge

But really, it's not that big of a deal. I thought I'd really miss being able to change the font to my liking, but after a few days I just got used to this one and pretty much forgot that I could ever change it.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    11-06-16 12:53 PM