So before doing system upgrade, my phone suggested that I do a backup. That makes sense...but I have no idea how to do it on android. I'm starting to miss my BlackBerry Passport . How is a backup done?

Don
    12-08-16 09:08 PM
    There isn't a one-step solution. You will need to do a few things.
    1. In Settings>Backup and Reset, switch Back up my data to On. This will automatically back up your system settings and app settings for some apps to Google Drive. If you want to see what are exactly being backed up, go to Settings in the Google Drive app and look into Manage Backups.
    2. Export Password Keeper to a file and save it in the SD card, an USB flash drive or a computer.
    3. Copy your documents and other important files to an USB or a computer.
    4. If you prefer, copy your media files as well.
    5. Sync your contacts and calendar events with a cloud server such as Gmail.
    6. Not sure anyone know how to backup Notes and Tasks. You are likely out of luck if you use them.
    7. If you want to backup app settings for apps not backed up by Google Drive, try a backup app such as Helium. Some apps that you've installed may also have its own backup facilities.
    liquidneon likes this.
    12-08-16 09:54 PM
    Good lord! That is not quick and easy like it was on BlackBerry Passport. I'm shocked there isn't a slick easy method to accomplish that too on android.
    Thanks for the info.
    12-08-16 10:00 PM
    You could use the content transfer app and store it on google drive. That would take care of your documents, contacts, texts, pictures and videos.

You'd still have to export password keeper. Other than that google does a pretty good job of backing everything up (assuming you have that option on)
    12-08-16 11:12 PM
    Good lord! That is not quick and easy like it was on BlackBerry Passport. I'm shocked there isn't a slick easy method to accomplish that too on android.
    Thanks for the info.
    There is. Most of your stuff is already backed up to Google and will reload when you switch/change devices anyway. For most people, the above method is way too much overkill when Google handles the majority of it out of the box and out of mind. - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tek60-1093133/
    12-09-16 12:05 AM
    Don't know what "most" means. Everyone needs to know exactly what is being backed up and determines for themselves if that is sufficient. Just because someone says Google Drive backs up most of my stuff doesn't cut it for me. As I said a few times in these forums, go to Settings in the Google Drive app and look into Manage Backups to see if what are backed up every night are sufficient for you. See where you can find the backup for Password Keeper.
    Last edited by YeemanBB; 12-09-16 at 11:42 AM.
    12-09-16 08:12 AM
    There isn't a one-step solution. You will need to do a few things.
    1. In Settings>Backup and Reset, switch Back up my data to On. This will automatically back up your system settings and app settings for some apps to Google Drive. If you want to see what are exactly being backed up, go to Settings in the Google Drive app and look into Manage Backups.
    2. Export Password Keeper to a file and save it in the SD card, an USB flash drive or a computer.
    3. Copy your documents and other important files to an USB or a computer.
    4. If you prefer, copy your media files as well.
    5. Sync your contacts and calendar events with a cloud server such as Gmail.
    6. Not sure anyone know how to backup Notes and Tasks. You are likely out of luck if you use them.
    7. If you want to backup app settings for apps not backed up by Google Drive, try a backup app such as Helium. Some apps that you've installed may also have its own backup facilities.
    great summary - thank you!
    12-09-16 08:38 AM