I man be old fashioned but is there a hands free assistant who can just call who i ask for? A lot like the BB assistant. The Google one is quiet @*%*. The BB one connected through my super tooth buddy and I just pressed the button said "call janine" and it dialed. Google does web searches, fails to open, dials other folk etc. Any ideas? I'd like a simple to use one.
    03-02-17 04:49 AM
    Most voice recognition software needs a little training.
    the instructions will tell you to teach it by speaking a bit slower and pronouncing words more distinctly.

Basically what you get is what you get. And everything on the new 7. Android is much superior to anything before it.
    03-02-17 05:40 AM
    I man be old fashioned but is there a hands free assistant who can just call who i ask for? A lot like the BB assistant. The Google one is quiet @*%*. The BB one connected through my super tooth buddy and I just pressed the button said "call janine" and it dialed. Google does web searches, fails to open, dials other folk etc. Any ideas? I'd like a simple to use one.
    Exactly the same experience as you on this one. Google sometimes tells me it can't find a network connection, all I want to is make a quick call with my Bluetooth ear piece. Maybe over time this will improve
    Last edited by falbo; 03-02-17 at 01:10 PM.
    03-02-17 07:44 AM
    On both my Leap and PP all I did after connecting to my super tooth was hit the call key, wait for the beep sound and say "call Janine" and the BB assistant would say " calling Janine". Simple as that. I've tried talking slower and more clear, closer to the mic, all to no avail. Google either doesn't work at all or searches the web etc. When it does work it goes through all that contacts details, email address, BBM address etc, it then calls. It's terrible at best.
    03-02-17 01:06 PM
    It's definitely an android /google thing going on . Just worked perfectly on a real blackberry :-)
    03-02-17 01:13 PM
    OK Google
    Phone call
    "who do you want to call?"
    Janine

......works for me.....
    03-03-17 04:14 AM
    Ah, so i don't just say call janine at the first step? I have to say phone call and then wait for Google to ask who to call?

Hmmmm, still more steps than the BB10.

Other thing I noticed is it rarely works when locked, even though the settings are switched to use Google when locked.

Oh well ill see what happens when the 'new' assistant gets down loaded.
    03-03-17 04:36 AM
    Ah, so i don't just say call janine at the first step? I have to say phone call and then wait for Google to ask who to call?

Hmmmm, still more steps than the BB10.

Other thing I noticed is it rarely works when locked, even though the settings are switched to use Google when locked.

Oh well ill see what happens when the 'new' assistant gets down loaded.
    Agreed, My Z30 is much better for this , just can't let it go just yet. You can have a sneak peek at the "New" assistant as it is in "Allo"
    I will just wait for the update. Bluetooth works for me, but that is no help to you.
    03-03-17 04:53 AM
    OK Google
    Phone call
    Janine

......works for me.....
    Don't have to say ok Google at all. When you press the button on the Bluetooth headset you will hear the sound it makes for you to speak your request ie phone janine . Or whatever voice command you want to make like send a text message etc. This will work for me when using just the phone not connected to the earpiece, but when using the earpiece the problem arises. I have tried other ear pieces with no joy .
    03-03-17 10:39 AM
    Tried this again on my way home. Out of about 10 attempts I only got it to make 1 call.
    03-03-17 12:07 PM
    Yep tried again tonight in the wife's car as its much quieter inside than mine. Ended up shouting **** *ff at the thing. Pulled over and manually dialed.
    03-03-17 04:10 PM
    Yep tried again tonight in the wife's car as its much quieter inside than mine. Ended up shouting **** *ff at the thing. Pulled over and manually dialed.
    I don't use the earpiece button, I use the phone to instigate the call, I feel your frustration, these issues usually make me want to take to the devices with a bat.
    03-03-17 06:01 PM
    OK Google
    Phone call
    Janine

......works for me.....
    I'm pretty sure you don't have to say "phone call" first. I just tested it with my wife's phone and it worked fine.
    03-04-17 02:00 PM
    I'm pretty sure you don't have to say "phone call" first. I just tested it with my wife's phone and it worked fine.
    Was that via Bluetooth
    03-04-17 02:24 PM
    You are correct. I use it all the time. Great for hands-free in the car.
    00stryder likes this.
    03-04-17 09:10 PM
    Was that via Bluetooth
    I use it with Bluetooth and without.
    03-04-17 09:11 PM
    Was that via Bluetooth
    Without, but available with both if needed.
    03-04-17 11:15 PM
    My phone will work perfectly when I also use just the phone to make a call via the ok Google or by touching the microphone button but the problem arises when solely trying to make a call via a blue tooth ear piece by pressing it's own call button. Not wanting to touch the phone or remove it from my coat pocket when driving.
    03-05-17 02:54 AM
    Here on the UK the penalty for using your phone while driving have increased. New drivers with less than two years on the road get a total ban while mature drivers can get a fine up to £2500 and 6 points on your licence. You get 11

Anyway it must be background noise that stuffing up the commands. In my Honda crv its a target noisy.
    03-05-17 07:21 AM
    Here on the UK the penalty for using your phone while driving have increased. New drivers with less than two years on the road get a total ban while mature drivers can get a fine up to £2500 and 6 points on your licence. You get 11

Anyway it must be background noise that stuffing up the commands. In my Honda crv its a target noisy.
    Never thought I would say it but yes I agree with the point system. Even though this is the case I still continue to see people using the phone and driving. A Bluetooth tooth earpiece can be had for around £10 and a Bluetooth speaker for not much more which can be clipped anywhere in the car. Seen a guy yesterday driving and his phone up to his ear and a cigarette in the other hand, total madness
    03-05-17 08:03 AM
    I asked this questions a few months ago (but in the Android apps forum) and got like 2 replies.. lol... but after some research I took a liking to DRAGON Assistant because you can name your phone (and it's wake-up phrase) to anything you want. (I named my phone DroidBerry.. lol) and it's pretty decent. My only gripe is it sets its own built-in alarm instead of setting it up in my default alarm/clock app. Texts, social media posts, map navigation, and calls are all done pretty well!

I will test out the NEW Google Assistant when it becomes available because I hear it's supposed to be extremely well-made.. but I'll have to try it out first to give any opinion.
    03-06-17 04:43 PM

$330 and 3 points here. I have a $15 phone cradle with push button phone release stuck to windscreen, we are allowed to tap it, like a GPS.... I say "phone call". to stop Web searching etc.
    If you are getting in and out of the vehicle a lot this set up would be a pain.... some of our cars have internal systems so no need for cradle....or earpiece
    03-17-17 04:37 PM
    Slight update. I've found that if I keep the cover open (stilgut book in cognac colour) the Google assistant works just a tad better. Still not as good as the BB assistant but its calmed the searches and wrong​ dials down alot.

Keeping the cover open kinda defeats the idea of a case though. Lol
    Last edited by Macdtek; 03-18-17 at 07:57 AM.
    03-18-17 07:36 AM