A few days after normal use, I noticed a tiny scratch on the lower right corner of the screen.. I hate screen protectors, and I never use one on my phones..

A few days later a few more scratches showed up on the centre area of the phone. I'm really careful and never have keys or anything that could damage it..

And finally today I noticed a bigger scratch across the entire screen on the upper section.. Dunno why this is happening. I'm not using the case either and the back is perfect, no scratches whatsoever, which leads me to believe only the glass on the front is of lower quality than the back??

Just wondering if you guys are experiencing similar issues..

To avoid this from happening again I've ordered a protector from amazon.. Hope it does not look bad and it actually fits...
    11-08-16 10:00 PM
    A few days after normal use, I noticed a tiny scratch on the lower right corner of the screen.. I hate screen protectors, and I never use one on my phones..

A few days later a few more scratches showed up on the centre area of the phone. I'm really careful and never have keys or anything that could damage it..

And finally today I noticed a bigger scratch across the entire screen on the upper section.. Dunno why this is happening. I'm not using the case either and the back is perfect, no scratches whatsoever, which leads me to believe only the glass on the front is of lower quality than the back??

To avoid this from happening again I've ordered a protector from amazon.. Hope it does not look bad and it actually fits...
    Even dust can put tiny scratches on the screen. At least this is my experience with phone screens in general and if I put a screen protector on the phone, then I pick "matte" to avoid glare and most fingerprints.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-08-16 10:15 PM
    Don't slide your phone into anything without a screen protection. Air contains dust and dust contains silica and other crystals that gets trapped in material like pockets (look at the dust bunny that forms at the bottom corner of a pocket) as the screen rubs against the material it gets scratch. I found the hard way with a Note 3. Only sapphire glass resist, none of them or scratch proof.
    11-08-16 10:28 PM
    My phone has scratches now too but I know the source. I had the iPhone which I thought was pretty smooth but forgot the diamond camera. I think I got a hunch of them when I had the iPhones and the dtek both in the same back pocket. I have now put a case on the stupid iPhone.
    Alexandru Debu likes this.
    11-08-16 11:05 PM
    I don't think that the DTEK 60 has gorilla glass. So will be easier to scratch.
    11-09-16 08:44 PM
    I don't think that the DTEK 60 has gorilla glass. So will be easier to scratch.
    Thats a big MYTH...

http://en.miui.com/thread-274087-1-1.html
    11-09-16 10:54 PM

I had the SAME problem. Tons of scratches everywhere after a couple weeks. I never scratchedy Passport screen in two years, without a screen protector. The screen on the DTEK even started to wear on the corners.

Emailed support, and someone from Alcatel said it's a "known issue," and sent me a free shipping label to send for repair. HUGE pain, I have some borrowed, garbage old phone to use for weeks while this gets sorted.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 01-18-17 at 11:00 PM. Reason: language
    VeniceBB likes this.
    01-18-17 09:44 PM
    Is there really a scratch-proof material for front glass?

Posted from my  Passport
    01-21-17 07:34 AM
    Well if anyone cared to check the specs before purchasing you would have noticed it's only a regular screen with a coating on top like the iPhone. Thos DTEK60 does not have GorillaGlass screen like the Passport or other Android variants, hence you will scratch and crack without added protection. Do your research

Posted via CB10
    01-21-17 08:02 AM
    I had the SAME problem. Tons of scratches everywhere after a couple weeks. I never scratchedy Passport screen in two years, without a screen protector. The screen on the DTEK even started to wear on the corners.

Emailed support, and someone from Alcatel said it's a "known issue," and sent me a free shipping label to send for repair. HUGE pain, I have some borrowed, garbage old phone to use for weeks while this gets sorted.
    My experience has been the other opposite with the Passport being scratched up and the Dtek not. Hope the new one resolves this.
    01-23-17 08:09 AM
    Would that propensity to screen scratches depend on the 'batch' of DTEK60 devices produced? I have been careful with mine, though often keeping it naked in my back pocket, and can't see a single scratch on the screen. Lucky?
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    01-23-17 08:55 AM
    My experience has been the other opposite with the Passport being scratched up and the Dtek not. Hope the new one resolves this.
    The Gorilla glass will make it more resistant to scratches or cracks but not impossible. Passport two years old, DTEK50 few months?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 07:44 AM
    Good general build test (including scratch test) of the DTEK50. Not sure how the build quality and screen of the DTEK50 and DTEK60 differ though.

Last edited by 320flyboy320; 01-24-17 at 08:33 AM.
    01-24-17 08:14 AM
    Dtek60 has Dragon glass, as said by JJonPB, could have been a bad batch, maybe that's why TCL doesn't have an issue with returning it.
    I don't have any scratches on mine either, no protector.
    01-24-17 08:23 AM
    Umm, seeing a how we have fan boys thinking the blue classic has an all metal frame of that the dtek50 is taller than the PRIV, I'd be cautious about listening to fan boys jump in with claims of perfect premium devices.

Probably a bad several batches or people don't even know what a scratch looks like.
    01-24-17 04:55 PM
    (1) there is no glass "scratch proof" - resistance may be, but definitely not "proof" - even conrning spec called pencil test of what ever no-scratch.. if you use other than pencil - harder than that specified hardness, you got scratch.
    (2) depend upon the bezel design - if you flip the phone face down on table, the face of the display touch the table, - you need a screen protector. if the bezel touch the table with the display re-sessed 0.4-0.7 mm, depend upon where you are (country), you may or may not need screen (unless you put your key in the same pocket with the unit - like some big shot). - the dust particle size and composition are different at different season - you can check environmental agnecy's report (google search), see what are the dust particle size and distribution and composition are.
    (3) if you use a good pocket soft/hard shell casing, usually there is protection rim around the LCD around 1 mm or so, you might be able to get away with no screen protector...
    (4) Super hard coat do exist, but (a) optical performance is not good (b) pricy (c) supply is very limited - not many application - medical might be able to use it... not phone. Not much market for that. - IMHO.
    if I were you, i get a screen protector or a good looking heavy mechinary beefed up pocket shell casing.
    01-24-17 07:21 PM
    Well, that's funny, because I have a DM from blackberry help saying it DOES have gorilla glass.
    01-26-17 12:37 PM
    I have been embroiled in a dispute with BlackBerry over this issue. Their support team emailed me, saying they know about the screen issue!

https://twitter.com/tomcooke3/status/824684449673703424

They will not, however, repair mine, despite the fact that they told me to send it in. After keeping it for two weeks , it was returned the exact same. It took me days to enquire the reason, before someone finally told me I would have to send it AGAIN, and pay to repair the known issue.

This is my eighth, and last, BlackBerry. Save your money, don't buy this phone.
    01-26-17 12:42 PM
    This is my eighth, and last, BlackBerry. Save your money, don't buy this phone.[/QUOTE]
    Not even a mercury? :-)
    01-26-17 06:57 PM
    I have never found any screen to be truly scratch proof. The tiniest piece of dust can scratch a screen if slid across it just right. I personally always order a screen protector. They are pretty cheap and I would prefer the protector take the abuse as opposed to my screen.
    01-26-17 07:10 PM
    I have had mine for about a month when I noticed a crack along the bottom right corner of front glass, about a inch. The glass is extremely fragile. It is not gorilla glass, one of the ways they kept costs down. I contacted BB and sent it in to SBE Ltd. Who takes care of warranty claims for Blackberry.

That was 2 weeks ago and I just received a quote for the repair amount a few days ago. It was $157 CANADIAN before tax. That is a little pricey but I still paid it knowing most repair shops do not have the parts for this phone and I'd rather trust my phone to an authorized repair place.

I was using the smart flip case but that has minimal protection. I just recently bought a much tougher case from Incipio , the DualPro. Now I'm just waiting to get my phone back hopefully this week
    01-31-17 04:49 PM
    The glass on my Q10 must be tough, as its coming up on 3 years old not even a hint of a scratch And I throw it in my pocket with keys,change etc . Hmmm new found respect for gorrilla glass
    01-31-17 05:15 PM
    "Hmm, must be just yours - my dtek60 was dropped from 3 stories and has not a single scratch!"

/S

#whatisclassic
    01-31-17 10:51 PM
    Exactly thank you. I have DM screenshots of Blackberry first falsely claiming DTEK60 has Gorilla Glass, the acknowledging issue with screen, then refusing to fix mine. A known issue isn't a warranty issue apparently. Took mine for two weeks, returned unfixed, finally found out they wouldn't fix for free. Thanks for two weeks of downtime for nothing! Oh, and the "we are aware of the issue with the screen" from the repair centre email, REALLY meant "we are aware of the issue with YOUR screen," according to Blackberry Help! How silly of me! But hey, they offered me a free leather case to replace my exceptional Incipio case! How nice
    02-02-17 01:20 PM
    Very few BlackBerry phones have had gorilla glass. I think the classic and the passport are the only two that do.

It is a hardened glass though, and obviously cracking from a drop is to be expected. Samsung phones always have the latest gorilla glass and their screens break just as easily.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    02-02-17 01:24 PM
37 12