TCL is a bulk manufacturer slapping western brands on their devices. If you want you can have TCL slap your first name on one Idol/Dtek50 no problem.

Quality should be there.
    12-21-16 02:25 PM
    I don't know if the DTEK60 is well built or not since I haven't touched one, but from the looks and user reviews, I think it's just OK or fine, but to claim it's the best built phone "by" BlackBerry, then you must be pretty ignorant about the actual phones made "actually" by BlackBerry, which are having the best built quality than any other phones.
    And I doubt that you have owned pretty much every BlackBerry devices.
    Ever heard about curve 8520, bold 9000, 9900, 9780, Z30, Q10, Passport? Comparing DTEK60 with any of the above is a joke.

Posted via CB10
    I never once said this device was the best built BY BlackBerry. I am quite aware this is not a blackberry built piece of hardware. But it is a blackberry branded device, and therefore a blackberry. The point I will return to is that this is one of the best built blackberries to date. In house hardware clearly does not matter, as this thing is far superior in build quality to that of the priv. As for your long list of blackberry devices, I've used them all. The DTEK60 is right up there amongst the best. The glass body feels very premium.
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    12-21-16 11:55 PM
    The bold 9000 and passport is premium to me. The rest are meh.
    12-22-16 06:51 AM
    I replaced my playbook 3 times before i finally got a perfect screen. Q10 changed twice because of double type. Compared to that, DTek is yes better... my first impression was not pleasing but now it's one of the best android I've used.. i think the software makes the user experience much better..
    Indeed those playbooks and their dead pixels!! I feel ya brother

Posted via CB10
    12-22-16 07:39 AM
    The bold 9000 and passport is premium to me. The rest are meh.
    I'm with you on the Bold 9000. It was an amazing device in its day. But every other Berry I've owned has had one issue or another (including the Passport with its screen lift). The DTEK 60 is rock solid. At least until I drop it
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    12-24-16 07:19 AM
    Every BlackBerry has had its little quirks, that is for sure.

If I had one gripe it would be that the back glass seems to be scratching a bit. Only a few of the scratches are noticeable, but still bothers me a bit for a 2 month old device.

I do keep the phone naked though other than carrying it in the BlackBerry holster when away from home.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    12-24-16 11:38 AM
    Every BlackBerry has had its little quirks, that is for sure.

If I had one gripe it would be that the back glass seems to be scratching a bit. Only a few of the scratches are noticeable, but still bothers me a bit for a 2 month old device.

I do keep the phone naked though other than carrying it in the BlackBerry holster when away from home.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    Virtually every phone with a glass back will scratch if you leave it naked
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    12-24-16 11:54 AM
    Just need to get used to it then. Haha. For those of us who have stayed mostly loyal to BlackBerry this hasn't been an issue in the past.

Small annoyance though since then phone just plain feels good and there aren't any clip in style holsters that I have found yet... That's always my preference when it comes to carrying my devices.
    12-24-16 01:46 PM
    Guys,
    I don't have a DTEK60 (yet!), but I have handled one in the shop and I wonder if it felt 'cheap' because it is quite light. I think light is good - especially for a large phone. It makes it easier in the pocket.
    IMHO

Mark
    12-26-16 08:37 AM
    Guys,
    I don't have a DTEK60 (yet!), but I have handled one in the shop and I wonder if it felt 'cheap' because it is quite light. I think light is good - especially for a large phone. It makes it easier in the pocket.
    IMHO

Mark
    one of design judgement is function per weight... you want as many function as possible for equal weight... light is better for two phones that exhibit same function... heavy phone will distort your suit pocket shape, (passport fit just right in pocket is a exception). you do not want to add weight just for feel substantial. it is "easier in the pocket"? you mean you need to "feel" it there? dtek 60 is very big, you can't find it in your pocket? wow.
    01-19-17 02:47 PM
    I am well impressed with the DTEK60 and go as far as to say the quality is the best for a BlackBerry device I have ever had ( and that is most models from 2007).

TLC seem to have better quality control than BlackBerry themselves ever did.

It also nice to get relatively current specs instead of being 2 years behind the competition.
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    01-20-17 09:39 PM
    Guys,
    IMHO

Mark
    Yes it does feel like what it is meant to be.
    01-21-17 10:36 PM
    The screen is brutal man. Look around on the site. So delicate and not scratch-resistant. Also, the silver bezel is horrible for dents. Cases are a must and a screen protector.
    02-08-17 04:41 PM
    The screen is brutal man. Look around on the site. So delicate and not scratch-resistant. Also, the silver bezel is horrible for dents. Cases are a must and a screen protector.
    No screen protector on mine. Very solid and resistant construction.
    LoveMyLBZ and Bay 13 like this.
    02-08-17 05:43 PM
    Nothing wrong with my screen, I have the flip case from BlackBerry, I've dropped it a few times and been lucky so far.
    02-08-17 06:53 PM
    Screen in perfect condition and I use Incipio duo pro case .
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    02-08-17 10:05 PM
    But...you are talking about an alcatel android phone! In the alcatel history there isn't even one hardware you can speak about quality, years ago if you wanted a cheap phone it was alcatel, may be the last ones are a little bit better...I have a dtek60...beautiful to look at, but poor in quality, strength and durability, beyond the fact that I just can not digest android.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-17 08:35 AM
    But...you are talking about an alcatel android phone! In the alcatel history there isn't even one hardware you can speak about quality, years ago if you wanted a cheap phone it was alcatel, may be the last ones are a little bit better...I have a dtek60...beautiful to look at, but poor in quality, strength and durability, beyond the fact that I just can not digest android.

Posted via CB10
    The same can be said of most of the Chinese manufacturers. But since they started building for all the big players, their quality has come way up.
    02-09-17 08:49 AM
    The same can be said of most of the Chinese manufacturers. But since they started building for all the big players, their quality has come way up.
    I don't think they built this specifically for BlackBerry. They already had an existing model, and released another one with BlackBerry Software!

Posted via CB10
    02-09-17 09:49 AM
    I don't think they built this specifically for BlackBerry. They already had an existing model, and released another one with BlackBerry Software!

Posted via CB10
    That wasn't my point. I'm saying that a lot of these parts are finding their way into the big player devices. Quality is up everywhere as a result. For instance, there are only a few screen manufacturers in the world, and they make screens for everyone.
    02-09-17 09:56 AM
    ok, all right, but we are also talking of assembly and some materials ....we know for example that the assembly and materials of the Passport or the SE type are almost flawless, even the Z30, you can throw it to the floor several times before you see any damage, so It's not for the aifon or most of other smartphones in the market, even the dtek series.
    I want to say that bb with the choice of giving up their own operating system and identity as well as corporate dignity (beyond the arguments of profits, of the mistakes and problems of investors) has slowly lost his way and even the control over the quality products, delegating to third parties the built of them. I know that they have chosen to terminate the hardware sector, but it's not ended yet, then why further damaging the image with the alcatel android choice? It is clear that it is only a stopgap to failure due to deep lack in marketing and others known...
    Last edited by blackbp; 02-09-17 at 06:23 PM.
    02-09-17 06:12 PM
    ok, all right, but we are also talking of assembly and some materials ....we know for example that the assembly and materials of the Passport or the SE type are almost flawless, even the Z30, you can throw it to the floor several times before you see any damage, so It's not for the aifon or most of other smartphones in the market, even the dtek series.
    I want to say that bb with the choice of giving up their own operating system and identity as well as corporate dignity (beyond the arguments of profits, of the mistakes and problems of investors) has slowly lost his way and even the control over the quality products, delegating to third parties the built of them. I know that they have chosen to terminate the hardware sector, but it's not ended yet, then why further damaging the image with the alcatel android choice? It is clear that it is only a stopgap to failure due to deep lack in marketing and others known...
    Passport? Screen lift was a big, big problem. Double typing has always been a problem on BlackBerry pkb devices too. BlackBerry doesn't own the design / manufacture space. Many people do it well.

Anyhow, my DTEK60 and DTEK50s are at least as well built as any BlackBerry I've ever owed (and I've owned most).

Of course the huge displays and thinner devices of today are more fragile - that's just physics and common sense.
    Last edited by conite; 02-10-17 at 05:53 AM.
    LoveMyLBZ and Jlmsd like this.
    02-09-17 08:39 PM
    in fact, to make them thinner and lighter they use much more delicate materials and in most cases even more shoddy, said that, the dtek series are in the mid range quality built materials and they are not Blackberry, in my opinion the real durability of blackberry hardware is better, for now it is just an opinion due to the daily use of dtek60, z30 and passport se
    Last edited by blackbp; 02-10-17 at 04:50 AM.
    02-10-17 04:29 AM
    I paid $500 for this phone, it gets its own damn pocket. If I need to hold more stuff, I'll go find another pocket. Screen is pristine after 4 months, and body is clean ( with incipio case) even after roughly 10 good drops.
    02-10-17 07:16 AM
    What you're going to see with this bulk "made for multiple vendors" production method is absolutely zero incentive for TCL to build in exclusive/premium features into their BB branded devices.

Example: I doubt we'll ever see a TCL build phone that has a removable back like the Z30 that can be replaced with the flip shell case. I regularly change from the glass weave to the flip shell case and back again depending on what I'm doing.
    02-12-17 05:27 PM
55 123