Yesterday my DTEK60 stopped starting up. See attached the picture. What can I do?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-16 10:18 PM
    Not seeing a pic on the CB app (for Android). A few more details would be helpful too, like what was going on at the time, was the battery depleted, etc.
    12-28-16 10:22 PM
    For some reason I am not able to upload picture. The phone is stuck at the screen with BlackBerry logo and below saying powered by android.

Went into menu via low volume key and power button. Choose quick boot and all other options. Nothing happened.

Is the phone now dead?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-16 10:25 PM
    Not seeing a pic on the CB app (for Android). A few more details would be helpful too, like what was going on at the time, was the battery depleted, etc.
    The phone was good. At 70 percent battery. Suddenly it restarted and got stuck at the restart screen. Sorry somehow the picture attachment is not working. Will try again to attach.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-16 10:27 PM
    Try a hard restart. Hold down the power button for at least 32 seconds.
    12-28-16 10:44 PM
    Try a hard restart. Hold down the power button for at least 32 seconds.
    Thank you for the idea.
    Just did that for more than 32 seconds. The dtek60 recycle as it turns off and then turns on again and then continues. It does not provide any feature to select reset nor does it automatically rests.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-16 12:25 AM
    Thank you for the idea.
    Just did that for more than 32 seconds. The dtek60 recycle as it turns off and then turns on again and then continues. It does not provide any feature to select reset nor does it automatically rests.

Posted via CB10
    You may need to contact BlackBerry support directly. Not really sure what's going on with your phone from what you're describing.
    12-29-16 01:40 PM
    Thank you for the idea.

Posted via CB10
    Did you download any apks or go to any shady sites? Sounds like a corruption
    12-30-16 09:36 PM
    Did you download any apks or go to any shady sites? Sounds like a corruption
    No, non at all. Only from Google play store. No shady sites as well. Would be happy if I can factory reset the device. however seems like that is not possible, or I am not an doing it wrong.

Any suggestions how to get by this?

Posted via CB10
    12-31-16 07:48 AM
    I actually want to retrieve my files and photos from the internal memory... I can buy a new phone...

Posted via CB10
    12-31-16 09:49 AM
    Can you get into the fastboot screen (vol-down + power)? If so then you should be able to run an autoloader which will reload the device from zero.

HOWEVER, everything on it will be erased. It sounds like the FDE key got corrupted which means the internal storage cannot mount, and thus the phone cannot start up. There's no way around that if indeed that is what happened as without that key there's no way to decrypt (and thus read) the internal disk partition.
    12-31-16 11:36 AM
    Can you get into the fastboot screen (vol-down + power)? If so then you should be able to run an autoloader which will reload the device from zero.

HOWEVER, everything on it will be erased. It sounds like the FDE key got corrupted which means the internal storage cannot mount, and thus the phone cannot start up. There's no way around that if indeed that is what happened as without that key there's no way to decrypt (and thus read) the internal disk partition.
    In a case like this if he were to send the device back to BlackBerry to fix, how would they do it? Replace the internal storage?

Posted via CB10
    12-31-16 02:15 PM
    Naw they would do exactly what I noted and run an autoloader on it.... Which he can do himself.
    12-31-16 03:59 PM

Hi. Did this. Went to fastboot, the phone restarts and comes back to the fastboot screen. Does not allow me to change anything.

I assume all data is a loss... however would be good to get the phone back.

Bought it from UK. Anyone know what is the Blackberry service point in UK?

Posted via CB10
    01-01-17 03:25 AM
    If you can get into fastboot you can run an autoloader.

Look at the stickied thread at the top, grab the autoloader (correct one for your varient; you said UK, so you want the one for non-US) and use it. NOTE THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW THE GOOGLE PASSWORD AND ACCOUNT DATA for the device; you will be forced to put in the same Google Account info when the phone starts, because it is an "unsolicited" reset (exactly as someone would do if they stole the phone), but that will restore it to normal.

The autoloader will take quite a while to run -- it does a security wipe as part of it, so don't be surprised when it appears to "freeze" for quite a while. That's NORMAL, do not cancel out of it.

It's very good odds you do not need to send the phone in and it can be restored to "as new" in that way.
    falbo and stlabrat like this.
    01-01-17 09:37 AM
    There's another user here who's 60 got stuck at the boot screen, and they got it replaced by contacting BlackBerry support.
    01-01-17 01:11 PM
    If you can get into fastboot you can run an autoloader.

Look at the stickied thread at the top, grab the autoloader (correct one for your varient; you said UK, so you want the one for non-US) and use it. NOTE THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW THE GOOGLE PASSWORD AND ACCOUNT DATA for the device; you will be forced to put in the same Google Account info when the phone starts, because it is an "unsolicited" reset (exactly as someone would do if they stole the phone), but that will restore it to normal.

The autoloader will take quite a while to run -- it does a security wipe as part of it, so don't be surprised when it appears to "freeze" for quite a while. That's NORMAL, do not cancel out of it.

It's very good odds you do not need to send the phone in and it can be restored to "as new" in that way.
    Thank you very much for the tip. I followed your advise and managed to restores the DTEK60. Sanity restored, and all is OK.

Now I know how to load autoloader for android blackberries

Many thanks indeed.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-17 11:27 PM
    Thank you very much for the tip. I followed your advise and managed to restores the DTEK60. Sanity restored, and all is OK.

Now I know how to load autoloader for android blackberries

Many thanks indeed.

Posted via CB10
    Just curious, did you try connecting to a computer? Also, last ditch, did you let the battery completely die? Not the same but my old classic had a bootloop issue. I let the battery completely die then charged for a full day and it came back.

Glad you were able to solve it!
    01-01-17 11:43 PM
    Just curious, did you try connecting to a computer? Also, last ditch, did you let the battery completely die? Not the same but my old classic had a bootloop issue. I let the battery completely die then charged for a full day and it came back.

Glad you were able to solve it!
    The battery was 50 plus percentage at the time of death.
    No, I didnt connect the mobile to PC beside at the time when I was installing the autoloader last night.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-17 02:57 AM
    If the FDE key is gone (or corrupt), it's gone. If that happened you're probably GLAD you got hosed like this as there are three ways it can happen:

1. The Flash is damaged, in which case a reload would not work (it'll fail integrity checks on start)

2. There was a random cosmic ray hit that flipped a bit or two in the flash (possible; it DOES happen) in which case all is now well.

3. There was some piece of malware that got on the device and through the security built into the phone, but in doing so it corrupted the FDE key or similar. In that case you're REAL GLAD the phone refused to start as it saved you from being cryptolocked or having everything on it stolen.

So out of the possibilities #1 is unlikely since that's permanent and yet you could recover, #2 and #3 are left. Both are relatively improbable, yet one of them DID happen. One is random, the other had Blackberry's code saving your ***. In any event you have a working phone again.
    LuvULongTime, portal and LoveMyLBZ like this.
    01-02-17 10:09 AM
    If the FDE key is gone (or corrupt), it's gone. If that happened you're probably GLAD you got hosed like this as there are three ways it can happen:

1. The Flash is damaged, in which case a reload would not work (it'll fail integrity checks on start)

2. There was a random cosmic ray hit that flipped a bit or two in the flash (possible; it DOES happen) in which case all is now well.

3. There was some piece of malware that got on the device and through the security built into the phone, but in doing so it corrupted the FDE key or similar. In that case you're REAL GLAD the phone refused to start as it saved you from being cryptolocked or having everything on it stolen.

So out of the possibilities #1 is unlikely since that's permanent and yet you could recover, #2 and #3 are left. Both are relatively improbable, yet one of them DID happen. One is random, the other had Blackberry's code saving your ***. In any event you have a working phone again.
    Great write up. Glad BlackBerry has my back. Thanks for sharing.
    01-03-17 11:08 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies tickerguy! Not just in this thread but many others (battery issue threads is another one that comes to mind) . You are a great help to the community and I speak for many folks when I tell you we all appreciate it.

Posted via CB10
    LoveMyLBZ and 00stryder like this.
    01-03-17 12:13 PM