Hi,

I am thinking about buying the DTEK60, but does anyone know whether this device allows to treat the SD as internal storage?

I ask because I want to use Android apps which can only store content data (e.g. books, movie) only in the internal storage, and not the SD.

I believe the Marshmallow asks how you would like to handle the SD card when you first insert it, but has anyone tried this yet? I only have OnePlus2 which has no SD therefore cannot test it, so sorry if this is a given feature for all devices.

Many thanks
    11-02-16 11:33 AM
    Yes, it asks.
    rakeem likes this.
    11-02-16 11:36 AM
    Yes it can. I installed a new 64 Gb SD card and it gives the option to recognize it as internal memory. Make sure to use a fast card.
    rakeem likes this.
    11-02-16 11:37 AM
    Yes MM allow you to do this..... just want to make sure you have a really high quality SD Card.
    rakeem likes this.
    11-02-16 11:37 AM
    Yes MM allow you to do this..... just want to make sure you have a really high quality SD Card.
    Yes, one of main new features that came with MM was adoptable storage, but many android OEMs like Samsung, Sony decided to not use this feature.
    11-02-16 11:46 AM
    Yes, but do be aware of the downside.

IF you elect this option and the card takes an error you are forced to hard-reset the phone.

It is also not readable (because it's encrypted) in anything other than the phone, which means if an error occurs on the card everything on both the card and phone is lost.
    11-02-16 12:32 PM
    Yes, I have a fast 200GB card too..
    11-02-16 12:45 PM
    Yes, but do be aware of the downside.

IF you elect this option and the card takes an error you are forced to hard-reset the phone.

It is also not readable (because it's encrypted) in anything other than the phone, which means if an error occurs on the card everything on both the card and phone is lost.
    And there is a performance hit.. as no SD Card is as fast as most internal memory. Too no SD Card is rated to do the number or Reads/Writes that Internal memory is rated for.

There are reasons that some OEM are blocking it, and others have totally done away with the SD Card.

Me I'd try to get away with just the 32GB for the OS and use the SD for Photos and Data (with those synced to the cloud). But if you can't get by with 32, do the adoptable storage with a new high end card. Next phone you get, buy another high end card.... don't try to keep using the same card for years.
    11-02-16 01:05 PM
    That's true, but UHS1/U3 cards are very fast. Not as fast as internal storage, but the gap is nowhere near what it was with U1 (and especially non-UHS) cards.

I refuse to set adoptable storage and consider it a serious risk because the failure model for SD card controllers has them intentionally write-lock the card if it detects too many reallocation errors. This protects what's on the card but in the case of adopted storage it forces a factory reset and thus your data is gone anyway, since you can't get the data off in anything other than the original device, and once reset the keys are changed.
    11-02-16 01:07 PM