Unfortunately, Blackberry does not decide the battery size. Its a rumoured 'reference' design. so they just tweak the externals and make it look 'better' and the internals stay the same. Just like the DTEK50 it has the same battery as the Alcatel Idol 4
    Thank you for clarifying.

Posted via CB10
    Matty likes this.
    09-26-16 10:45 AM
    Oh I didn't know that. 7% longer with a smaller battery than the Priv. How so, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted via CB10
    I'd pin most of that on the CPU, Qualcomm really dropped the ball with the 808/810 (especially the 810) and picked it back up with the 820.
    Jrox74 and BLu like this.
    09-26-16 10:47 AM
    I'd pin most of that on the CPU, Qualcomm really dropped the ball with the 808/810 (especially the 810) and picked it back up with the 820.
    Got it. Thank you the helpful answer. Regardless, I can't wait until the DTEK60 gets released, need to replace my Z30. BlackBerry has done a fabulous job with Android and the BlackBerry suite that they load on, HUB etc. I also saw the awesome themes in the Priv thread, I must say I'm really loving how you can customize with Android. You can't do that with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 10:52 AM
    Agreed 👍

9900�8910�z10�Q20�Z30�Passport�Priv�Dtek50�
    09-26-16 11:13 AM
    I just hope that they will make one model for CDMA carriers like Vzn.
    Also hoping it will come out with Nougat!
    09-26-16 11:15 AM
    I just hope that they will make one model for CDMA carriers like Vzn.
    Also hoping it will come out with Nougat!
    Too early for Nougat, that's probably February-ish.

And since it's an Alcatel design, probably no CDMA.
    09-26-16 11:26 AM
    Oh I didn't know that. 7% longer with a smaller battery than the Priv. How so, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted via CB10
    CPU efficiency. It improves with each new turn of the SOC, and in the case of the 808/810 Qualcomm not only failed in that regard they failed miserably. The 820 succeeded.

I have no problem with the Priv getting through a day provided that I'm not in a horrid reception area -- then the network reselects murder your battery, but that's beyond the phone's efficiency or ability to deal with (other than by putting it in airplane mode!)
    09-26-16 12:06 PM
    CPU efficiency. It improves with each new turn of the SOC, and in the case of the 808/810 Qualcomm not only failed in that regard they failed miserably. The 820 succeeded.

I have no problem with the Priv getting through a day provided that I'm not in a horrid reception area -- then the network reselects murder your battery, but that's beyond the phone's efficiency or ability to deal with (other than by putting it in airplane mode!)
    Thanks for the explanation. Makes a lot of sense now. Thank you everyone for answering my questions.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 01:27 PM
    I can't wait for Verizon to immediately release this upon its arrival :P

Also can't wait to see what quirk(s) it has to be true to BlackBerry (clicking screen, overheating, maybe even the power button falls off!)
    09-26-16 01:31 PM

Posted via CB10

I agree the CPU is the main reason. With the 808 having a tendency to overheat it will drain a battery faster than a chip that runs efficient and allows the device to stay cool. But let's not discount that not all batteries are created equal. Some charge faster, some last longer, some are prone to heating up. (Think Note 7)
    09-26-16 01:42 PM
    DTEK60:
    5.5" diagonal, 534 PPI, 2560 x 1440 Quad HD resolution
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 64-bit Quad-Core (MSM8996 with 64 bit Quad-Core 2+2 Kryo 2.15GHz / 1.6GHz), Adreno 530, 624MHz GPU
    4 GB RAM, 32 GB Flash, SD card slot
    USB Type-C
    3000 mAh 4.4V non-removable Lithium-Ion battery QC3.0 Enabled
    21-megapixel auto-focus rear camera
    8-megapixel Fixed-Focus front camera
    Fingerprint sensor
    Convenience key
    Virtual keyboard

Priv:
    5.4" diagonal, 540 PPI, 2560 x 1440 Quad HD resolution
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 64-bit Hexa-Core (MSM8992 with 64 bit Hexa-Core 2 Cortex-A57 1.8GHz + 4 Cortex-A53 1.4 GHz), Adreno 418, 600MHz GPU
    3 GB RAM, 32 GB Flash, SD card slot
    Micro USB 2.0
    3410 mAh 4.4V non-removable Lithium-Ion battery QC2.0 Enabled
    18-megapixel auto-focus rear camera
    2-megapixel Fixed-Focus front camera
    Virtual + physical keyboards

So the DTEK60 has a slightly larger screen, better CPU, an extra gig of RAM, the new port standard, a slightly smaller battery, better cameras and no physical keyboard.
    The no physical keyboard is a real pity
    09-26-16 03:01 PM
    Wireless charging is a big plus on the Priv.... and I'll be disappointed if it's not in the DTEK60
    09-26-16 03:16 PM
    I basically think that it is a little bit big. I have a Priv and thats not a small phone. Would have likes around 5 instead of 5,5. Will buy one anyway😀

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    wikison likes this.
    09-26-16 03:19 PM
    The camera on the dtek60 needs to be at least f1.8 to compete or it will just be behind the rest. The software too must be a lot better any faster

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-26-16 07:46 PM
    Most battery claims are so general I think they are useless. The screen is the biggest battery hog for most people. So if you don't have your screen on, you get great battery life. If you use your screen, especially an AMOLED, it isn't so great. Thats why a lot of people list their screen on time or SOT.

Bigger screen uses more juice than a smaller screen, all other things being equal.

I wish cell phone companies would stop being pansies and put oversized batteries in their phones. 7 percent... sounds like an accountant is doing their marketing.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android by a recovering Privaholic
    Nels likes this.
    09-26-16 08:28 PM
    Most battery claims are so general I think they are useless. The screen is the biggest battery hog for most people. So if you don't have your screen on, you get great battery life. If you use your screen, especially an AMOLED, it isn't so great. Thats why a lot of people list their screen on time or SOT.

Bigger screen uses more juice than a smaller screen, all other things being equal.

I wish cell phone companies would stop being pansies and put oversized batteries in their phones. 7 percent... sounds like an accountant is doing their marketing.

You Sir nailed it right on. Totally agree. That's why I questioned the 3000mah. But I know AMOLED uses less power on black, dark themes. Does Android have dark themes? Sorry for asking. I'm not on Android yet. This would save on battery since the screen is what takes a toll on your battery.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 09:20 PM
    Android has no dark theme option at a system level.
    09-26-16 09:28 PM
    Android has no dark theme option at a system level.
    Thank you for letting me know. I really hope Google brings in dark theme in Nougat!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 09:48 PM
    Everyone has been hoping for dark themes since AMOLED screens first darkened the door of Android... in vain. I had one on a hacked, rooted Moto X Pure. It was great until a botched update bricked it, a couple of months into my ownership.

A botched update has apparently rendered my Priv inoperable in my market with AT&T. In a panic I had to pay full price to get an s7 edge and I'm still pissed about that. I like the Priv better, but the edge has a zerolemon battery as of today and will go maybe 4 days, as compared to my charge it once during the day Priv (heavy usage, admittedly), as compared with a smaller DTEK battery... so there's my battery argument, in a nutshell.

And for what it's worth, I find it difficult to keep a good grip on a skinny phone--especially one with no bezel--so I really don't see the point. I'm old. I don't wear skinny jeans. If people have to ask whether that's a phone in my pocket I take it as a compliment. The sweet spot was my 9900 with an Otterbox defender case and swappable batteries. Back when a smart phone could fit in a holster on your belt and not look like a tablet. Those were the days. Sigh.

Last edited by CharlieV; 09-27-16 at 01:12 AM.
    RichardAitch likes this.
    09-27-16 12:55 AM
    It's supposed to last 7% longer than the Priv. And unless I'm killing aliens or watching midget wrestling, I easily get through the day with the Priv.
    Lol, I get through the day even if I am killing aliens or watching midget wrestling! Ok maybe not the killing aliens part.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    10-01-16 07:10 PM
    Looks good but they should put a bigger battery in the DTEK60. Has bigger screen, more power than the Priv and the Priv has a bigger battery. That doesn't make sense. The Z30 Has a 2880mah and its only 5" screen. I don't think 3000mah will get you through a day. Anyone else agree or it just me?

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 (my favourite blackberry device) is not a good comparison. It only sports a dual-core CPU and a 720p amoled display. Hence why I was almost able to get 2 days with minimal use on that Phone. Both the Priv and the detek60 have quad HD displays and greater CPU to contend with.

I think the Detek60 will be fine with a 3000mAh battery. The 820 is a more efficient processor then the 808 and BlackBerry should have some better optimization now that they had the Priv as the blueprint moving forward.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    10-01-16 07:17 PM
    Like the look of it so far.

Any information on physical size and weight yet?

I like the thinner nature of the 50 over Priv.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    10-01-16 08:43 PM

Yeah, me too.
    10-02-16 05:50 AM

Here you go:
    darkwater79 likes this.
    10-02-16 08:12 AM
    Smaller battery worries me.

Priv won't get through a full day for me usually.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    10-02-16 08:43 AM
75 123