Hi guys!

so lately i have realized that the 60 screen touch sensitivity is not as responsive when its cold out (talking about below zero). Example, today was around -6 and the touch was not very responsive especially on the sides, so it tooks a while and alot of frustration when tapping the p or send button.

anyone else having the same or similar issue?
    12-09-16 09:39 PM
    Not as uncommon as you think. Happens with most phones. Part of why touchscreen gloves exist.
    00stryder likes this.
    12-09-16 09:55 PM
    Hi guys!

so lately i have realized that the 60 screen touch sensitivity is not as responsive when its cold out (talking about below zero). Example, today was around -6 and the touch was not very responsive especially on the sides, so it tooks a while and alot of frustration when tapping the p or send button.

I'm not the only one that has experienced this I see. On top of the other issues I have had with my touch screen, this has been another one. Cold weather performance has been poor at best especially on the right side of the screen about a centimetre in. Basically what you describe.
    12-09-16 10:08 PM
    Not as uncommon as you think. Happens with most phones. Part of why touchscreen gloves exist.
    How would touch screen gloves solve the issue of the screen becoming less responsive when it is cold out? Regardless of temperature, if I'm using my bare finger on the glass it should work as well as it would with a touch screen glove. My Z30 never had this issue for the record.
    12-09-16 10:10 PM
    Yes I definitely noticed this lately because we have been getting ridiculously cold weather in Calgary, Canada
    12-09-16 10:36 PM
    Hi guys!

I think the gloves exist because of our fingers lol but I hear you
    12-09-16 11:03 PM
    I'm not the only one that has experienced this I see. On top of the other issues I have had with my touch screen, this has been another one. Cold weather performance has been poor at best especially on the right side of the screen about a centimetre in. Basically what you describe.
    Cold temperatures can affect battery performance as well as other functions on the internal device including cables and wires, I'm not sure what kind of temperatures are acceptable, I know when phones get too hot they slow down cpu performance or they just shut down, I would not expect my phone to work effectively under extreme cold conditions. Might just be the way things are for now I guess, but I would not consider it a defect. Not sure how the glass screen is when it deals with cold temperatures
    12-09-16 11:07 PM
    How about just staying inside to chat works for me everytime.

Posted via CB10
    aecgda likes this.
    12-10-16 08:55 AM
    good to hear I'm not the only one. but I mean its not even extremely cold and even previous phones I had (such as the z10) were perfectly fine so
    12-10-16 09:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    How about just saying "you are holding it wrong".

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    12-10-16 09:42 AM
    Cold temperatures can affect battery performance as well as other functions on the internal device including cables and wires, I'm not sure what kind of temperatures are acceptable, I know when phones get too hot they slow down cpu performance or they just shut down, I would not expect my phone to work effectively under extreme cold conditions. Might just be the way things are for now I guess, but I would not consider it a defect. Not sure how the glass screen is when it deals with cold temperatures
    I get that, and agree to an extent I suppose. However the level of screen performance degradation I have encountered with my craptek60 is like nothing I have seen on any other device. My classic which is still use for work and my z30 never behaved like this.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-16 12:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    I hope you are kidding. If people are not able to use their phones in the cold that would be a massive fail on the part of the device manufacturer.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-16 12:24 PM
    This is interesting. I will keep my eye out on this thread. I'm still on the z30 while my wife is on the Dtek 60. So far she hasn't experienced the screen not working in cold weather but I can certainly test it out. The only thing she has been experiencing is proximity sensor issues with the phone. Perhaps tonight I will take the phone with me for a walk around the block and see how the cold affects the screen.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-16 02:07 PM
    For some weird reason, the first 'cold day' that my passport had, the capacitive keyboard would go absolutely insane. Always around the 0 Celsius mark. After a couple of days though the problem went away and never came back. I have no explanation.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-16 02:27 PM
    Some cell phone company have operating temperature. Cold weather just as hot are bad for cells. However not all of them list it. From pass experience a good rule of thumb is to keep your cellphone in an inside jacket pocket or close to your body to keep it warm, I was met with cellphone unresponsive after pulling them out of a belt holder after a certain amount of time.
    Akure4Life likes this.
    12-10-16 03:23 PM
    Move down south.
    12-10-16 03:32 PM
    Use smart case and will help with cold weather issues.

It is a Smart case!

Posted via PRIV and or Passport SE
    12-10-16 03:39 PM
    Doesn't happen at all on any of my phones and it's been around -5C at night around here recently so...it's not as common as you think.
    12-10-16 06:08 PM
    look like dtek 60 is using capacitive touch screen... it depend upon the construction as well as how dry is your finger...
    cellphone - Touch screen and cold, dry fingers - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange
    resistive screen a bit better for cold weather, but you other trade offs.
    12-10-16 07:09 PM
    DTEK is a crap Chinese phone with a BlackBerry Customised Android OS. There are much better phones with way better quality hardware out there. If only it wasn't for that android secured by BlackBerry. DTEK is not at all worth it.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-16 02:37 AM
    Why couldn't BlackBerry just partner with HTC or something. Release an HTC S10(secured 10), along with regular 10, with a price a bit higher than the normal edition. Both parties makes money I guess!

Posted via CB10
    12-11-16 03:30 AM
    hmm, interesting, why a lot of people on this forum want BB team up with chinese? either xiaomi, htc, etc. they already did with TCL... the capacitive touch screen does have cold temp slow down effect, good design may improve somewhat (not say dtek is bad design), but little or no evidence of any htc touch screen is better at -20 C. as an engineering background, you team up someone without proven technology to improve your product boarder line is illogicall, not mention madness. Even it is better, just for team up with someone due to touch screen superior without consider something critical, like antenna, or mechanical design (xiaomi's drop test sensitive device), what is benefit for them to bring to the table? (un-less they pay BB or license BB technology - believe me, they got a lot to learn from BB, not only software and security...that is not team up based on my definition).
    12-11-16 09:11 AM
    hmm, interesting, why a lot of people on this forum want BB team up with chinese? either xiaomi, htc, etc. they already did with TCL... the capacitive touch screen does have cold temp slow down effect, good design may improve somewhat (not say dtek is bad design), but little or no evidence of any htc touch screen is better at -20 C. as an engineering background, you team up someone without proven technology to improve your product boarder line is illogicall, not mention madness. Even it is better, just for team up with someone due to touch screen superior without consider something critical, like antenna, or mechanical design (xiaomi's drop test sensitive device), what is benefit for them to bring to the table? (un-less they pay BB or license BB technology - believe me, they got a lot to learn from BB, not only software and security...that is not team up based on my definition).
    The screen is 100% unusable in the cold. This can't be normal behaviour.
    12-11-16 11:23 AM
    Well HTC makes one of the best phones, sometimes even better than samsung. Their hardware and built quality was one of the best up until S6 was released.
    So who else to team up with? Sony is another good option, but I can't think of anyone else.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-16 12:12 PM
    The screen is 100% unusable in the cold. This can't be normal behaviour.
    check the link in my prior post and go google iphone, droid, for touch screen cold weather... as I mentioned before, if it is design intend for cold weather outdoor usage, the designer might select different technology - resistive possibly... the recommendation for the community is put the device in your pocket (warm up with body temperature), before use... if you want commercial grade - not designed for extreme cold usage... or you can go find some resistive touch screen type of handset (hard to come by, due to its inferior display properties, normally speeking and lack of demand at components level... not much demand for extreme condition user that willing to trade off the display quality for touch sensitivity - if it is instrument, you use button, not touch screen in outdoor cases).
    12-11-16 12:19 PM
41 12