Is there any way to change these crappy 'blob' style emoticons in the sms messenger app? Looking all over and cant find a way to do it.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    01-21-17 01:32 PM
    Is there any way to change these crappy 'blob' style emoticons in the sms messenger app? Looking all over and cant find a way to do it.
    Those are system emojis. Swapping them out requires root, so it's not happening anytime soon. However, some SMS apps supply their own emoji set that overrides the system emojis; I know Signal does.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    01-21-17 02:47 PM
    Yeah those are the stock android emoji`s and you can use Emoji switcher to change them, but you need root, or you can use Textra messaging app, but you will still have the crappy ones in your keyboard.
    01-21-17 07:36 PM

You may have to wait until the ugly (my opinion ONLY) "Material Design" fad goes away and real artistry makes a reappearance onto the screens.
    01-21-17 07:51 PM
    Those are system emojis. Swapping them out requires root, so it's not happening anytime soon. However, some SMS apps supply their own emoji set that overrides the system emojis; I know Signal does.
    Textra allows the use of many different sets.
    01-21-17 10:43 PM
    Thanks all for the recommendations. I'm trying Signal now. It is better, but they are still not clear. Someone tried to be artistic and make them 3D (thats what it looks like to me), but failed in following UI convention in which the smaller an object gets the less detail you apply. If the icons were about 10-15px larger it may be ok, but they are so tiny the added effects makes them hard to see. Disclaimer: My eyes are older. Maybe when the twenty-something designer hits 40 they will realize the benefit of beta sampling across a demographic that includes more than just their own.
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    01-23-17 07:26 AM
    Textra
    Attached Thumbnails Change crappy emoticons in sms messenger-72524.jpg  
    01-24-17 11:29 PM
    Use textra as your default messaging application. Works fantastic and there's endless amounts of customization options. One being the ability to download iOS style emojis.
    01-25-17 12:37 AM
    Textra looks good but does it integrate into The Hub? Hate the blobs too but love the Hub more
    01-28-17 11:10 PM
    Textra looks good but does it integrate into The Hub? Hate the blobs too but love the Hub more
    Yes. Once you click on text messages via the hub, your conversation from textra will appear. I personally never go to the hub for my text messages. I have a "social" folder with textra and all my social media app. I use nova launcher prime also, so I have a swipe up shortcut on my social folder to automatically open textra when i swipe up on the folder. I have this folder on my home screen, it is super efficient.
    01-29-17 11:52 PM
    Textra gets rid of the blobs. The blobs had me sending my iPhone friends weirdness.
    01-30-17 07:52 PM