Are the 2 chargers that came with it not QC3? It's still silly that I need to bring around chargers with me to last a full day.
    No, they are QC2.

QC3 is substantially faster and runs cool as a cucumber.
    liquidneon likes this.
    11-22-16 10:35 AM
    Silly move,

Why oh why did you do that?

Especially being a blackberry user you should have stuck close to home.

Any way, dtek60 is superior to the s7 in my personal opinion.
    11-22-16 10:42 AM
    Use QC3 chargers. In a matter of just a few minutes, you can be back to near full charge. It's actually quite amazing.
    I bought a Anker QC3 charger plus cables and found that it is no faster then the QC2 charger that came with the phone which takes less then an hour to fully charge from 15% battery life left..
    11-22-16 12:21 PM
    I bought a Anker QC3 charger plus cables and found that it is no faster then the QC2 charger that came with the phone which takes less then an hour to fully charge from 15% battery life left..
    On paper, QC3 isn't much faster than QC2, you're right (although I think it's faster). Qualcomm states that version 3.0 is up to 38 percent more efficient than 2.0, which is a substantial energy saving.

This means that energy is not lost to heat, and is much healthier for the device.
    11-22-16 01:38 PM
    You will get the DTEK app, the productivity tab for peek, the swipe up gestures from anywhere, the task switcher screen similar to BB10, and the generally faster security updates.

The only downside is that you will get a great, but not spectacular camera on the DTEK60.

But you can buy a DTEK60 AND a proper camera for the price of the S7.
    what do you mean with a proper camera? At the prices that S7's are retailing today I doubt you can get evena toy camera
    11-22-16 03:45 PM
    what do you mean with a proper camera? At the prices that S7's are retailing today I doubt you can get evena toy camera
    In Canada, the S7 is $220 more than the DTEK60. The S7 Edge is $350 more than the DTEK60.

Here's a nice camera for $250:
    http://m.henrys.com/83415-SONY-DSC-H...MP-35X-3-.aspx
    RichardAitch likes this.
    11-22-16 04:22 PM
    In Canada, the S7 is $220 more than the DTEK60. The S7 Edge is $350 more than the DTEK60.

Here's a nice camera for $250:
    SONY DSC-H300B BLACK 20.1MP 35X 3" DSCH300B
    Well, that isn't a "nice camera", it's a budget superzoom camera... The superzoom body might be fooling you into thinking you're buying a mini-dslr. That's just a cheap point and shoot with a zoom lens (and not an impressive one).that camera has a the sensor the size of a phone (1/2.3"), and with that "superzoom" lens it might take worse pictures than a phone in low light.

If you're into buying a "proper camera", buy a camera with a sensor that has at least 1 inch

The Galaxy S7 is around 150$ more expensive in the US than the Dtek60, and from what I've seen, the S7 costs 775$CAD at Best Buy canada.
    Samsung Galaxy S7 G930F 32GB Smartphone - Black Onyx - Unlocked : Android Phones - Unlocked - Best Buy Canada

So, we are talking 125$ difference... 250$ doesn't get you a "good" camera, let alone 125.
    If you're into buying a "proper camera", buy a camera with a sensor that has at least 1 inch
    11-22-16 05:31 PM
    Well, that isn't a "nice camera", it's a budget superzoom camera...
    Give it a rest. Lol.

The camera lense on the S7 is the size of a small pea.

The point is that the S7 is not worth the premium price over the DTEK60. It's a no-brainer.
    zensen likes this.
    11-22-16 05:46 PM
    Give it a rest. Lol.

The camera lense on the S7 is the size of a small pea.

The point is that the S7 is not worth the premium price over the DTEK60. It's a no-brainer.
    The camera lens in the phone is small because it's a fixed distance lens, not a zoom. Go pick a point and shoot that isn't in the "superzoom" class, and the lenses are much much smaller. Those superzoom are just that, cameras that do a lot of zoom, but those optics are pretty rubish. We are talking about a variable apertura of F3.4-6.5. I can assure you that camera tou just posted takes way worse pictures in low light than most high end phones. It's only good at 1 thing, zoom...

The S7 can be worth it over the Dtek60, can be not... For you, Dtek is the ONLY way to go because you can't take the Blackberry googles off.

The S7 IS worth the premium if you value things like
    -Processor power (the Exynos 8890 is way superior to the SD820 if you can get one)
    -best camera
    -best screen
    -brand equity
    -You know Samsung will be around for some time, he don't have much warranty for Blackberry.

Dtek60 in the other hand is cheaper with almost same specs, and is backed by blackberry security that has the greatest record.

So it's not a "no brainer", it's a "brainer", It's just depends on each users prioritys, both phones are a great deal for the right person
    11-22-16 07:14 PM
    Nothing beats a BlackBerry. You can sideload the BlackBerry Experience apps but the build of Android won't be secured at the firmware level. BlackBerry has done a lot of under-the-hood security improvements. It's not just the DTEK app.
    11-22-16 07:19 PM

The S7 can be worth it over the Dtek60, can be not... For you, Dtek is the ONLY way to go because you can't take the Blackberry googles off.
    I'll only give you the camera on the S7 over the DTEK60 (the other items are arguable). The question remains if it's worth giving up a bigger screen, BlackBerry hardening, faster security updates, the extras in the BlackBerry App suite not offered on other devices, and $220 CDN.

Yes, the 8890 has some advantages, but it's not "way superior". It's actually worse in some categories.
    Last edited by conite; 11-22-16 at 07:55 PM.
    11-22-16 07:45 PM
    I'll only give you the camera on the S7 over the DTEK60 (the other items are arguable). The question remains if it's worth giving up a bigger screen, BlackBerry hardening, faster security updates, the extras in the BlackBerry App suite not offered on other devices, and $220 CDN.

Yes, the 8890 has some advantages, but it's not "way superior". It's actually worse in some categories. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...d1c5ce0479.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...845f1ca61d.jpg
    Samsung is having a sale until the end of the year to get $225 off the S7 with an old phone trade in. That prices the phone at 870-225=$645, which is cheaper than the dtek60.
    I'm going with S7 by the end of the year. Just sold my DTEK50 because of the crappy camera and the hub wouldn't provide push for my Gmail account. It was a decent phone but the S7 is very good and has a much better camera than the 60.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-16 09:48 PM
    Just sold my DTEK50 because of the crappy camera and the hub wouldn't provide push for my Gmail account. It was a decent phone but the S7 is very good and has a much better camera than the 60.

Posted via CB10
    I'll agree that the camera is better in the S7, but I've never had an issue with my Gmail accounts on ANY of my BlackBerry-Android devices.
    11-22-16 09:53 PM
    I'll agree that the camera is better in the S7, but I've never had an issue with my Gmail accounts on ANY of my BlackBerry-Android devices.
    Agreed. Same experience.
    11-22-16 10:00 PM
    In America, S7 & DTEK60 have the same 820 processor. So that makes it easier to go BlackBerry here.

Samsung rep is a little burnt after Note 7. That problem is so infamous, it's a common joke here, even on SNL etc.

I had a Note 7, which was a great phone due to the S Pen and the gorgeous design (coral blue) and feel in the hand. The camera is the same as regular S7, and it was good for a phone. But I was a bit disappointed by it. It wasn't as good as the hype, so I wouldn't pay the S7 premium just for the camera.

But the S7 will also give you water resistance. But touchscreen doesn't work in the shower... that's right. I showered with my Note 7. No shame. You tell me I can shower with my phone, you're damn right I'm going to shower with it. Rub a dub dub, Sammy

So the water thing, better camera, a bit richer screen... any other S7 advantages over DTEK60?

Anyway, I just received my DTEK60 so I'll be reporting back on it

Posted via CB10
    11-22-16 11:58 PM
    If it's any help I couldn't be less interested in a camera on ANY mobile phone.

So camera aside, in a nutshell, what are the benefits of Dtek60 over S7?
    andy957 likes this.
    11-23-16 01:27 AM
    I need help.

I stupidly got myself a two year contract with a Samsung S7. The phone is OK but I've only used blackberry phones for years. I'm still using a passport SE, and was using a leap before the s7.

I was concerned by the hype about whatsapp not being available for BB10. I didn't fancy the Priv and was unaware of the two dtek handsets. Why dont they advertise?

I've downloaded the BlackBerry apps to the S7. However, it does not seem to give the 'proper' blackberry experience.

My question is this, should I sell the s7 and buy the dtek60? Will the dtek60 give me a more fluid operation or will it be no different from my current set up?

I will be grateful for any advice on this.

Aloysuis
    You can't ask that question in this forum and expect us to say S7 . However, I am actually considering the same. I've always been blackberry loyal, but Rogers is offering the S7 at $0 right now which is tough to pass up on. I think if a camera, display, and IP68 water and dust resistance is important to you, then you can't go wrong with the S7, it's arguably the best android device of 2016.

On the flip side, the DTEK 60 is theoretically more secure, but one thing's for sure, it'll get security updates faster than Samsung. You also get the blackberry virtual keyboard, but the Samsung keyboard and Google keyboard work great as well. Personally I think the S7 is the better device if you can get it at the right price, but you already have one, so price really doesn't matter anymore for your. Just my opinion! I'm currently typing this on my PRIV by the way. I really wanted the Note 7 this year and I'm still upset about how that all went down.
    11-23-16 01:49 AM
    There is no mistake that the S 7 is a very good phone. The call quality leaves a lot to be desired on quite a few occasions however. I was having problems with searching for and sending emails on it, but they have now appeared to have resolved themselves.

The call quality and the handling of emails, texts etc on BlackBerry phones have been to my mind and experience, second to none.

It was that experience that prompted me to ask tbe question in the first place. I already have a very good camera for taking pictures. I want a phone that can be used as phone.

I've downloaded BlackBerry Hub which works but isn't that fluid. SwiftKey is a good keyboard and similar to the BlackBerry keyboard but not quite. BBM works. So effectively I've turned the s7 into a blackberryish experience.

So still in two minds. The dtek60 seems to be becoming more popular too.
    11-23-16 02:04 AM
    Nothing beats a BlackBerry. You can sideload the BlackBerry Experience apps but the build of Android won't be secured at the firmware level. BlackBerry has done a lot of under-the-hood security improvements. It's not just the DTEK app.
    i like BB, but sideloaded apps became a disaster after a while. regular crashing, freezing, app updates would cause issue. not the experience I wanted.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    11-23-16 06:27 AM
    No, they are QC2.

QC3 is substantially faster and runs cool as a cucumber.
    cool - thank you. i will need to look into a(nother) charger, although I have 2 already... and several cables. any recommendations/links? I'm in Canada. I could use +1 QC3, and 3-5 cables.

thanks!!
    11-23-16 06:28 AM
    The S7 has better features like camera, display etc. but if you are used to BB then the DTEK60 is the better choice.
    11-23-16 06:38 AM
    cool - thank you. i will need to look into a(nother) charger, although I have 2 already... and several cables. any recommendations/links? I'm in Canada. I could use +1 QC3, and 3-5 cables.

thanks!!
    Here's what I got from Amazon.ca:

liquidneon likes this.
    11-23-16 07:00 AM
    amazing thanks! I just got the same cables, different charger:
    BlackBerry DTEK60 or Samsung S7?-capture.png
    11-23-16 07:01 AM
    The S7 is not a comparable -- it's a 5.1" screen .vs. 5.5

The S7Edge is, and in the US it's $769 unlocked assuming you consider an actual warranty (and US bandplan) to be worth something. Samsung Galaxy S7 edge 4G LTE with 32GB Memory Cell Phone (Unlocked) Silver SM-G935UZSAXAA - Best Buy

That's a 54% increase in price over the DTEK60. For the $270 difference you can get within $75 of an Alpha a5000 mirrorless with lens. Sony Alpha a5000 Mirrorless Camera with 16-50mm Retractable Lens Black ILCE5000L/B - Best Buy

There are a host of point-n-shoots that are quite credible (e.g. Canon's SX420, Sony's DSC-WX350, Nikon's S7000) that are within $20 or less of the $270 difference if the interchangeable lens option isn't worth anything to you in a real camera.

Any of those will lay waste to any camera you can get in a cellphone.
    conite, LuvULongTime and zensen like this.
    11-23-16 08:43 AM
    battery technology is a joke. really cant keep up with the rest of technology.
    Find ANY *current* phone (issued in say the past 3 months) that has good battery life. They all are terrible. iPhone 6, Samsung S6/S7, Priv, all of them, you can watch the battery meter icon dwindle just by staring at it, without even checking email, etc. iPhone is the worst offender. I have had Galaxy S4 / S5 / S6 and the battery life on all of them was abysmal. I think it's because the new displays and networking protocols (WiFi, LTE, Bluetooth etc.) are big battery drainers.

EDIT: I realize I said past 3 months, but that aside, I think we might all agree that nothing comes close to BlackBerry OS/BB10 phones in terms of call quality and battery life. My Passport goes days without needing to be recharged.
    11-23-16 04:19 PM
208 1234 ...