I'm just reading the review over at Tech Radar. It says

"There's just the one model available, with 32GB of internal storage (of which around 22GB is available to you out of the box), but a microSD slot enables you to build on that by 2TB"

So BlackBerry Android (or Android in general) uses up 10GB of data? Is that actually correct? I was under the impression that Samsung devices are known for their bloat, and that we were getting a nice stock android experience free from bloat with the addition of some useful apps. I also read somewhere that Samsung phones have about 8GB worth of bloat - so is that in addition to the 10GB of data Android uses in the first place?

Sorry, I don't know much about Androids - this will be my first Android phone so just want to know what I'm getting.
    10-31-16 06:13 AM
    Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about the "bloat". The android OS takes up what it takes up. But yes, all OSes take up a lot of room from your internal memory
    10-31-16 06:32 AM
    iOs, Android and yes BB10 do the same thing. I think we just don't notice it on BB10 because we don't get to download as many apps.
    10-31-16 07:08 AM
    Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about the "bloat". The android OS takes up what it takes up. But yes, all OSes take up a lot of room from your internal memory
    Oh yes of course, I understand that completely. What I meant to say was, I was sure that Samsung phones had a substantially larger amount of bloat than say Stock or BlackBerry Android, and apparently the DTEK60 would use up 10GB right out of the box. From what I am reading on the internet, Samsung phones (Android + TouchWiz) only use up 8GB. BGR.com says you're left with 24GB on the Galaxy S7 32GB model, and Tech Rader says you're left with 22GB on the DTEK60.

So what's the deal with people on this forum saying "if you want bloat, get a Samsung" on the BlackBerry vs Samsung threads?
    10-31-16 07:09 AM
    That's because BlackBerry pretty much gives you a stock android os experience (Dtek is baked in) similar to the nexus or pixel. BlackBerry apps like the hub and contacts etc are optional if you want them. Like them cool keep them. Don't like them don't use them and can even be disabled or deleted.

Samsung on the other hand modifies the android Os so you get their version of the android experience ie touch wiz ,which is a bit of an overlay over android itself , however this is compulsory - if you dont like it tough, you can't change it. This is why their monthly software patches aren't exactly monthly.

I am not an expert but I would be hard pressed to believe that Samsung would have less internql memory utilised for the OS than the Dtek would. Likewise they could split it across touch wiz, Android OS and a couple of other things.
    10-31-16 07:55 AM
    Even with the Google apps there is plenty that can be disabled which frees up internal memory. I remove Google mail, hangouts, yahoo Finance, some of the language things , Google now, BBM, Google docs etc
    10-31-16 07:58 AM
    Oh yes of course, I understand that completely. What I meant to say was, I was sure that Samsung phones had a substantially larger amount of bloat than say Stock or BlackBerry Android, and apparently the DTEK60 would use up 10GB right out of the box. From what I am reading on the internet, Samsung phones (Android + TouchWiz) only use up 8GB. BGR.com says you're left with 24GB on the Galaxy S7 32GB model, and Tech Rader says you're left with 22GB on the DTEK60.

So what's the deal with people on this forum saying "if you want bloat, get a Samsung" on the BlackBerry vs Samsung threads?
    You can delete or disable most of the apps on BlackBerry but you can't unfortunately on Samsung phones.
    10-31-16 08:00 AM
    Right I see, thank you very much everyone that makes sense. So out the box about 22GB, but could probably free some space getting rid of things I don't use. Whereas on Samsung devices, it is what it is. Thanks!

I wonder how much space I could free up deleting Google Mail, Yahoo Finance, Hangouts, Language things, and whatever else I wouldn't use. I guess I'll find out as soon as I receive my DTEK60 whenever that is (fingers crossed this week).
    10-31-16 09:40 AM
    Of course, there is also the issue of whether or not a kilobyte is 1000 or 1024 bytes (and megabytes, gigabytes, etc.); for example, my SD card has two hundred billion bytes of storage, but it shows up on my Priv as 183GB (multiples of 1024), not 200GB (multiples of 1000).
    10-31-16 02:33 PM