I reading on the various forums as to the uncertainty of the Dtek50 getting the android 7.0 and further update, and to my very big surprise, everyone here is just saying "oh well, too bad"!!! Is this a joke?? Buying a fairly high priced device such as the Dtek50 and accepting it as a " one android generation " device??? Especially coming g from a company that's is trying it's hardest to come back and remain relevant in an over saturated phone market!!! And claiming to have become a "software company" that focuses on communication security and so on!! Seriously??? "Oh well, too bad" ??? I must be dreaming... See this is my first Blackberry device and it could well be my last ones too providing they decide no to update it to Nougat. Folks we should not expect Nougat only, but android O also, as most reputable manufacturers guaranty 2 android version updates. My daughter has a Huawei honor 8 that received Nougat mid January!!! I personally use a Nexus 5x and this Dtek50 to try out the Blackberry "thing" as Nexus is now a thing of the past, and was/am in the process of finding the best brand replacement for my use. However, the 5x is running Android O as I am a beta user and then Dtek50 is essentially now 2 generation's behind and there is talk of keeping it there!! Seriously...if that's the case, then Pixel or iPhone will be my only choices. Oh well, too bad...
    BTW I absolutely love my Dtek50 and the Blackberry software in general...just saying
    tcartr and big_time2 like this.
    05-22-17 09:05 PM
    I reading on the various forums as to the uncertainty of the Dtek50 getting the android 7.0 and further update, and to my very big surprise, everyone here is just saying "oh well, too bad"!!! Is this a joke?? Buying a fairly high priced device such as the Dtek50 and accepting it as a " one android generation " device??? Especially coming g from a company that's is trying it's hardest to come back and remain relevant in an over saturated phone market!!! And claiming to have become a "software company" that focuses on communication security and so on!! Seriously??? "Oh well, too bad" ??? I must be dreaming... See this is my first Blackberry device and it could well be my last ones too providing they decide no to update it to Nougat. Folks we should not expect Nougat only, but android O also, as most reputable manufacturers guaranty 2 android version updates. My daughter has a Huawei honor 8 that received Nougat mid January!!! I personally use a Nexus 5x and this Dtek50 to try out the Blackberry "thing" as Nexus is now a thing of the past, and was/am in the process of finding the best brand replacement for my use. However, the 5x is running Android O as I am a beta user and then Dtek50 is essentially now 2 generation's behind and there is talk of keeping it there!! Seriously...if that's the case, then Pixel or iPhone will be my only choices. Oh well, too bad...
    BTW I absolutely love my Dtek50 and the Blackberry software in general...just saying
    Oh well, too bad is correct. I'd love an OS update but I don't expect one. It's not like I can threaten BlackBerry with not buying anymore devices since they've exited the hardware business.

Posted via CB10
    big_time2 likes this.
    05-22-17 09:13 PM
    The silence from Blackberry is telling, I will bet the phone never see it. Very dissatisfied with this recent purchase if true.
    xandros9 and big_time2 like this.
    05-22-17 10:10 PM
    Not sure what the OP thinks is fairly high priced? I paid $299 Canadian for mine.

Many Android phones in the same price range aren't getting the monthly security updates let alone Nougat.
    05-22-17 10:28 PM
    Not sure what the OP thinks is fairly high priced? I paid $299 Canadian for mine.

Many Android phones in the same price range aren't getting the monthly security updates let alone Nougat.
    This is why mid-priced devices are mid-priced...

Posted via CB10
    xandros9 and big_time2 like this.
    05-22-17 10:32 PM
    Oh well, too bad is correct. I'd love an OS update but I don't expect one. It's not like I can threaten BlackBerry with not buying anymore devices since they've exited the hardware business.

Posted via CB10
    You keep on this but as long there are BlackBerry devices and BlackBerry is providing the software and getting any sort of return, they are technically in the device business. Just the software side of the devices. Pretty sure it BlackBerry the claims hardware doesn't make the smart in the smart phone but software does. They still have something to do with devices till the day that stops.
    big_time2 and elfabio80 like this.
    05-22-17 10:35 PM
    You keep on this but as long there are BlackBerry devices and BlackBerry is providing the software and getting any sort of return, they are technically in the device business. Just the software side of the devices. Pretty sure it BlackBerry the claims hardware doesn't make the smart in the smart phone but software does. They still have something to do with devices till the day that stops.
    But their software business is all that stuff everyone claims is boring. MDM, Good, BES, At-hoc plus whatever other companies that Chen has acquired in the last 4 years or so. Hardening Nougat or whatever next OS version is next hopefully will become a big deal but for it's not.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 10:39 PM
    But there software business is all that stuff everyone claims is boring. MDM, Good, BES, At-hoc plus whatever other companies that Chen has acquired in the last 4 years or so.

Posted via CB10
    2 devices just came out with their Android version software on them. And they are both branded BlackBerry devices. And more yet to come apparently.
    05-22-17 10:40 PM
    2 devices just came out with their Android version software on them. And they are both branded BlackBerry devices. And more yet to come apparently.
    Both with Android 7 right? Aurora plus KEYone both devices make good argument for buying/upgrading to newest BlackBerry Android hardware.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 10:52 PM
    Both with Android 7 right? Aurora plus KEYone both devices make good argument for buying/upgrading to newest BlackBerry Android hardware.

Posted via CB10
    Or not if devices about 6 months old get abandoned.
    big_time2, kbz1960 and mad_mdx like this.
    05-22-17 10:53 PM
    We keep going around and around.

What BlackBerry chooses to do with its own devices has nothing to do with what the licencees contracted BlackBerry to provide to their devices.
    05-22-17 10:55 PM
    It won't matter as primary business is not licensing BlackBerry name for hardware. They don't care that much about the phone business.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 10:58 PM
    We keep going around and around.

What BlackBerry chooses to do with its own devices has nothing to do with what the licencees contracted BlackBerry to provide to their devices.
    People won't look at it that way. I don't care what your excuse is, it doesn't look good if devices less then a year old get abandoned no matter what the behind the scenes structure is now.
    big_time2 and kbz1960 like this.
    05-22-17 11:10 PM
    People won't look at it that way. I don't care what your excuse is, it doesn't look good if devices less then a year old get abandoned no matter what the behind the scenes structure is now.
    And back to the beginning we go.

That's just a math problem for BlackBerry.
    05-22-17 11:12 PM
    If BlackBerry cares about their brand, they will do things that preserve the brand in the eyes of their current customers. If they want to be cheap with their brand, then we can be cheap with them and not buy devices with their software anymore. TCL will do the talking for us.
    big_time2 and elfabio80 like this.
    05-22-17 11:15 PM
    Exactly!

Yes, we keep going round and round.

And it is unacceptable to keep blindly claiming "... it's not BlackBerry anymore..."

johnny promoted the licencing agreement chenanigans... and if he allowed the BlackBerry name to be sullied by abandoning 6 month old devices without current software updates... then shame on him... you better believe that's his fault... take the blinders off.
    05-22-17 11:16 PM
    Exactly!

Yes, we keep going round and round.

And it is unacceptable to keep blindly claiming "... it's not BlackBerry anymore..."

johnny promoted the licencing agreement chenanigans... and if he allowed the BlackBerry name to be sullied by abandoning 6 month old devices without current software updates... then shame on him... you better believe that's his fault... take the blinders off.
    As if they care what the vocal minority thinks...I mean really, they've never listened before, do you think it matters now?

Posted via CB10
    big_time2 likes this.
    05-22-17 11:19 PM
    As if the Nougat update was just an esthetic update...the amount of "under the hood" of recoding that took place between 6.0 and 7.0 was absolutely phenomenal and at so many levels of the OS, not discounting the various security layers that were actually rewritten from scratch, especially in regards to the "infamous" mediaserver debacle. Google the release notes and see for yourselves guys.
    The differences between 6.0 and 7.0 were far from negligible, above and under the hood.
    The simple fact that 7.0 was released nearly a year ago now, and that Blackberry has not updated the dtek series yet, speaks volumes. Not exactly a fantastic record there. Monthly Security updates releases have vastly improved, really, but the sheer fact that the Dtek50 received its own award at the CES in January and yet, is still running 6.0 while most other respectable manufacturers (emphasis on the word respectable) have all updated the or phones or are in the process to do so, while we hear that Blackberry is "still considering" to do so, is frankly ironic and will certainly NOT add up to further phone/software license sales once the already tiny Blackberry market realizes what's taking place.
    tcartr, big_time2 and elfabio80 like this.
    05-22-17 11:58 PM
    If TCL and MP want their devices to receive new Android versions they will have to ask for them. BlackBerry will not spend any resources on phones they do not sell unless there is some sort of arrangement with their manufacturers.

As far as the DTEKs go, there will not be any more new models, and BlackBerry can't get rid of their inventory fast enough. The most that we can reasonably expect is another year or so of security updates.
    05-23-17 04:18 PM
    If TCL and MP want their devices to receive new Android versions they will have to ask for them. BlackBerry will not spend any resources on phones they do not sell unless there is some sort of arrangement with their manufacturers.

As far as the DTEKs go, there will not be any more new models, and BlackBerry can't get rid of their inventory fast enough. The most that we can reasonably expect is another year or so of security updates.
    You are likely right.

Mark my words... In the coming year BBRY will be sold to the highest bidder.

BBRY stockholders will be happy.

johnny will ride off into the sunset with untold millions in bonus.

johnny and Prem will retire.

The scam will be complete.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-23-17 05:08 PM
    What I think is funny is that John Chen has on several occasions now boasted about how BlackBerry had a secret project code named "Black Widow" that would supposedly take the security of their version of Android N to levels close to BB10. So he totally knowingly hyped it. To not release it on the PRIVs and DTEKs would really be punk move on his part when the hardware is capable.
    big_time2 likes this.
    05-23-17 07:43 PM
    What I think is funny is that John Chen has on several occasions now boasted about how BlackBerry had a secret project code named "Black Widow" that would supposedly take the security of their version of Android N to levels close to BB10. So he totally knowingly hyped it. To not release it on the PRIVs and DTEKs would really be punk move on his part when the hardware is capable.
    How much would you pay for it?

Posted via CB10
    05-23-17 08:18 PM
    Imagine if there was a website out there that would ask Blackberry the tough questions and report back? Or if there was someone backing a site that wasn't afraid to ruffle feathers and voice legitimate product and software concerns. I'm sure most people would even disable their ad blocker for a site like that. Oh well, one can dream.
    Ethynil, big_time2 and elfabio80 like this.
    05-23-17 08:37 PM
    Imagine if there was a website out there that would ask Blackberry the tough questions and report back? Or if there was someone backing a site that wasn't afraid to ruffle feathers and voice legitimate product and software concerns. I'm sure most people would even disable their ad blocker for a site like that. Oh well, one can dream.
    Ask as many "tough" questions as you like. The answer will be crickets. Companies have press releases for what they want to say.
    big_time2 likes this.
    05-23-17 08:47 PM
    Ask as many "tough" questions as you like. The answer will be crickets. Companies have press releases for what they want to say.
    I'm a no body, of course the answer would be crickets... but quality post #18 ,559.
    big_time2 likes this.
    05-23-17 08:51 PM
141 123 ...