and you get one priced at $300 Let's see what happens! (Ok, $299 is technically below $300.)
    Moto G4 vs DTEK50
    When you expect a 0 phone..-moto-g4-plus-1.jpg
    **Rumble rumble**
    • Screen: Gorilla Glass 3 vs. Oleophobic scratch resistant (Winner: Blackberry)
    • Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 617 Octa-Core CPU w/ Adreno 405 GPU (Tie)
    • RAM: 2GB vs 3GB (Winner: Blackberry)
    • Storage: 16GB (Tie)
    • MicroSD expansion: 128GB vs 2TB (Winner: Blackberry)
    • Wifi: 802.11n vs 802.11 ac 5GHz (Winner: Blackberry)
    • Bluetooth 4.1 vs 4.2 (Winner: Blackberry)
    • GPS: GLONASS (Tie)
    • NFC: None vs Yes (Winner: Blackberry)
    • Camera Rear: 13MP f/2 1080/30p vs 13MP f/2 1080/30p (Tie)
    • Camera Front: 5MP f/2.2 vs 8MP f/2.2 (Winner: Blackberry)
    • Battery: 3,000mAH vs. 2610mAH (Winner: Moto G4)
    • Quick Charge: 6hrs in 15 minutes vs 9.5 in 51 minutes (Winner: Moto G4)

• Price: $149 vs $299 (Winner: Moto G4)

Summary and breakdown (Let's try to get the DTEK to its $300 price tag, from $150 )

Upgrades/Extras
    Oleophobic screen - $5
    Wifi 5GHz - $10
    Bluetooth 4.2 - $5
    MicroSD capacity - $5
    NFC - $25
    Front Camera - $10
    Total: $50

Subtract/Worse
    Battery Life - $5
    Quickcharge - $10
    Total: -$15

Blackberry Bonuses
    Blackberry Launcher - $4
    Blackberry Keyboard - $3
    Blackberry Productivity Suite (Contacts, Calendar, Password Keeper, etc) - $8
    Blackberry Hub - $10
    Blackberry DTEK - $15
    Blackberry Security (Kernel, OS patches) - $20
    Blackberry Coolness - $20
    Total: $80

Grand total: $115

Still $35 dollar short. What do we do?

BlackBerry Mobile Power Charger to the rescue!
    (Blackberry's free preorder bonus)
    When you expect a 0 phone..-blackberry-power-pack.png

Is the mobile power pack worth $35? Is the best looking power pack ever worth $35!? Of course!

Yay! We got to $300
    Last edited by Searchy; 07-26-16 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added breakdown of extras and price
    martinjdub likes this.
    07-26-16 02:26 PM
    the dtek has 3GB RAM tho... also it should be 6.0.1 also... OS wise.
    07-26-16 02:28 PM
    the dtek has 3GB RAM tho... also it should be 6.0.1 also... OS wise.
    Thanks for the catch!

I put the DTEK as having Marshmallow 6.0 because of the specs on Blackberry's site
    When you expect a 0 phone..-bb-dtek50-specs.jpg
    07-26-16 02:39 PM
    6.0.0 was only around for the first two months (6.0.0 came out in October while 6.0.1 came out in December), it's safe to assume that "6.0" means 6.0.1.
    07-26-16 02:45 PM
    OP, don't forget to put a value on the BlackBerry extras. If one puts nothing against OS and kernel hardening, BlackBerry integrity detection, DTek, HUB, and all the other apps, then one is not the target for this device.
    Sairos, TheNihilist and glwerry like this.
    07-26-16 02:48 PM
    Mate, Sorry but you don't get the whole point.. BlackBerry's Business model is security and they're offering a cellphone that they call the world's most secure android phone.. The hardening on the OS and the security apps & features they offer make the device worth the extra money..

If you go buy a certain car model, then see how much does the same model cost if its bulletproof and has extra security hardening to the body or the interior, you will find that one more expensive.. Do you see what I'm saying?..

Your argument might work if you're a guy into the market for just a cellphone, then definitely that phone isn't for you.. BlackBerry sells phones to enterprise customers and Governments.. $300 price hits two birds with one stone.. Good price for enterprise & Govs and the average user..
    glwerry likes this.
    07-26-16 03:02 PM
    OP, what value do you put on the BlackBerry extras? If you put nothing against OS and kernel hardening, BlackBerry integrity detection, DTek, HUB, and all the other apps, then you are not the target for this device.
    Unfortunately the average mobile device user does not yet *get* what BB's value addition really is ( even though it is stated in plain English for all to see). The lack of an appropriate medium (advertising, cultural norms, etc.) for Joe Average to understand, appreciate, or want that value addition prohibits Joe Average from embracing BB's HW/SW solution, dismissing the SW gains and concentrating only on the HW specs.

2GB vs 3GB... great. How about we write some software that uses memory efficiently first. Scarcity is a long lost concept in the world of computer resources and programming, but just because resources are scarce doesn't mean you have to be a memory slob. It doesn't matter how many gigs of memory you got if all the SW is written like crap.
    07-26-16 03:06 PM
    In Canada, they want me to pay $430... will sit this one out..

Posted via CB10
    sonicpix likes this.
    07-26-16 03:18 PM
    I've stated this in other threads. BB HAS EXTRA DEVELOPMENT COSTS! When a business has extra development costs, they PASS THOSE COSTS ON to the END CUSTOMER.

Try this: go to your Dodge dealer and demand that they sell you the Hellcat at the same price as a base Challenger. See how far that gets you.

On a less snarky note, I did feel that the feature comparison was most excellent: short, sweet, to the point and easy to judge for ourselves.

If I was in the market for a "slab" phone, I would pay the extra $150 to get a BB.
    Lets see what happens with the keyboard ones ... I love my Classic, love the PRIV form factor, just can't afford it.
    Sairos likes this.
    07-26-16 03:20 PM
    I've stated this in other threads. BB HAS EXTRA DEVELOPMENT COSTS! When a business has extra development costs, they PASS THOSE COSTS ON to the END CUSTOMER.

Try this: go to your Dodge dealer and demand that they sell you the Hellcat at the same price as a base Challenger. See how far that gets you.

On a less snarky note, I did feel that the feature comparison was most excellent: short, sweet, to the point and easy to judge for ourselves.

If I was in the market for a "slab" phone, I would pay the extra $150 to get a BB.
    Lets see what happens with the keyboard ones ... I love my Classic, love the PRIV form factor, just can't afford it.
    I like the car example
    07-26-16 03:23 PM
    But the problem is those apps are readily available to download and run on any Android device now.
    07-26-16 03:25 PM
    But the problem is those apps are readily available to download and run on any Android device now.
    Officially No.. Can you find them on the Playstore? No.. Not all users sideload stuff.. Also its not only apps.. Its a full security package of hardened OS, apps & more.
    07-26-16 03:30 PM
    Added
    It was tough work TBH haha
    07-26-16 03:34 PM
    I like the car example
    Thanks. I really want a Hellcat (707hp), but by the time I added the ALIMONY payments and SPEEDING TICKETS to the monthly payments, it would be out of reach, sadly.
    07-26-16 03:44 PM

People couldn't care less about development costs. It's subsidising the company because they have high costs. That's like a corporation taxing it's buyers. In most people's minds, security doesn't matter.

In a sea there is a large school of Android phones. Security does not make BlackBerry stand out.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 03:44 PM
    People couldn't care less about development costs. It's subsidising the company because they have high costs. That's like a corporation taxing it's buyers. In most people's minds, security doesn't matter.

In a sea there is a large school of Android phones. Security does not make BlackBerry stand out.

Posted via CB10
    While I can't agree with the statement "it's subsidising the company because they have high costs", I do grant you that for many purchasers the security benefits will not be worth the extra money. That would be especially so in the consumer space.

I disagree with the "subsidising" comment because BB is ADDING VALUE with the extra software, etc., that's required to beef up the security.
    They're not just covering a high cost operation, they're actually proving something MORE than what the phone originally had.
    07-26-16 03:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Then I guess we're done here.

BlackBerry needs to make money off what it does. If they can't, they'll end it. They are not going to sell phones at a loss.
    glwerry likes this.
    07-26-16 03:48 PM
    Actually the Moto G4 price is $199 at Motorola. You have to find "street prices" to get it down to $150. Let's see what the Blackberry DTEK50 sells for at Amazon or Best Buy.

The HUGE advantage of the Moto G4 is that it will work on any carrier, CDMA or GSM. Now if I could bolt on a keyboard and install OS10...
    07-26-16 03:55 PM
    Actually, it does but not to be a mainstream company that sells tens of millions of units.. If they can sell three million devices and stay profitable then they will be known as a phone company that makes security focused phones..

Security is their thing, unfortunately there is nothing else they can do to differentiate themselves.. Also there is no money to do anything else.. The Security software is what they already do.. They take that and put it on hardware and it doesn't cost them much.. The hardware is produced by someone else too.. So Money-wise what they're doing is right.. Its a win win situation If the devices sell.
    07-26-16 04:01 PM
    Best comparison ever

Posted via CB10 and the BlackBerry Passport
    Searchy likes this.
    07-26-16 04:02 PM
    I was even expecting this to be $399. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 05:34 PM