Working in the business, I have added some additional defensive tools to my DTEK 50; namely, AV (AVG) and a network assurance tool (Skycure).

Think I have an "even more secure Android" now. What additional security Apps / products have you added and why?
    11-07-16 11:45 AM
    VPN Unlimited. That's about it, device and network wise. I have others such as 1Password and Authy for 2FA but that's not device related.
    11-07-16 11:58 AM
    I had a look at their map of "threat" sites near me which just showed the public Wi-Fi sites in my area.
    You might want to look at something a little more comprehensive and well established like Avast.
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 11-07-16 at 12:39 PM.
    11-07-16 12:13 PM
    VPN Unlimited. That's about it, device and network wise
    I noticed the promo for VPN Unlimited and was intrigued by it.

If I understand correctly, using a virtual private network protects an Android device from threats to privacy and transmission of sensitive data, as well as hiding location, but what, if any security do you use to protect against potentially malicious apps or other unwanted intrusions?

With regard to VPN Unlimited, what, if any lag in transmission time might be experienced by redirecting through remote servers?

I don't have experience with VPN's, but isn't there a potential for the VPN operator to compromise a user's security/privacy? No reflection on VPN Unlimited, just a general VPN concern.

Is VPN Unlimited paid in $CDN or $U.S.?

Steve
    11-08-16 03:30 PM
    If I understand correctly, using a virtual private network protects an Android device from threats to privacy and transmission of sensitive data, as well as hiding location, but what, if any security do you use to protect against potentially malicious apps or other unwanted intrusions?
    None really. Not concerned about any of that. I don't go installing crap on my phone. You don't NEED apps to be able to tell you to use your brain. I get the additional comfort level apps like that afford and why people use them, but really, common sense is enough. I have NEVER had an issue and I have been using Android off and on since the G1.

With regard to VPN Unlimited, what, if any lag in transmission time might be experienced by redirecting through remote servers?
    Generally, no. In some cases, it might even increase the speeds you are seeing due to the fact that data can't be really be scanned. Think deep packet inspection. It can't happen, so the data flows faster.

I don't have experience with VPN's, but isn't there a potential for the VPN operator to compromise a user's security/privacy? No reflection on VPN Unlimited, just a general VPN concern.
    To say it CAN'T happen would be outright false but much like with apps, using trusted, reliable services goes a long way. This is why I never suggest people use free VPN services but instead find a reliable paid provider. Nothing that data consuming is genuinely 'free'.
    Ethynil likes this.
    11-08-16 03:58 PM