I've decided to keep my DTEK50. The battery life was abysmal for the first 2-3 days but has seemed to settle now and I'm managing to get 11 hours of use out of it and have around 21% still in the tank! Not bad. I started off getting just 4-5 hours of screen on-time and was on the verge of going mad.

So now, I'm getting used to android. I've had a fair few androids but always used iPhones because iOS is simply the best in my opinion.

What do you think about android? For me, it has improved since I last used it. I just feel that it could be a bit more intuitive. There seems to be an almost endless amount of menus and things that I can do on an iPhone are not possible, or take longer to do on Android. Say for example I want to find my own number. In iOS I simply tap on the phone icon, scroll to the top and my number is there. I can copy it and paste it wherever I like. On Android, I have to go through a series of different menus to get my own number only to find out I can't copy and paste it.

Android is a bit of an odd OS. It feels like a cheaper iOS clone. But with that being said, Blackberry's special sauce has helped dramatically. The hub is great. The swipe in menu is a nice touch and I think I will find myself using it more as time goes on.

The DTEK app needs a hell of a lot of work and innovation but the idea is right. Overall, I'm enjoying the phone despite a few android quirks.
    08-22-16 05:41 PM
    It's so true. The battery seems to get better with time. I'm keeping mine too

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    sethr, big_time2 and auditman like this.
    08-22-16 06:14 PM
    Hello,

Well, both android and iOS are low function app switchers. The blackberry "special sauce" makes it barely tolerable. But if does drag it over the line and gives some hope for the future if BlackBerry follows through with its software angle (on devices).

You just can't put enough lipstick on that pig to overcome what it is.

It underscores what an utter shame it is that BB10 is being left behind. No need for anyone to go on about how necessary it is financially.

KAM

alan510 likes this.
    08-22-16 08:56 PM
    On BB10 it's like in between Android and iOS with the phone number issue, lol. It's easy to see, just open the phone app and pull down to see it on top... But, you can't copy and paste it, haha.

But anyway, it is definitely a shame about BB10. Fortunately for me I don't use any of those apps that are not being supported, so I can continue to use a BB10 device as my personal device (I use an Android phone for work). But eventually I'll have to switch. And if there will be no more BB10 devices, then I hope BB does a good job with their launcher to bring over the BB10 interface.

The one thing about Android that I cannot stand is ironically how it handles the playing of media. Ironic because people always use apps and media as a reason why Android or iOS is better than BB, but for me, there's no question in this aspect. I use my phone to play music through BT connected speakers quite often. And often times it's during a situation where I cannot take my attention off something else, such as while driving. What I hate about Android is how when I get a notification, it interrupts my music and then plays the notification sound through the damn speakers... While driving this is annoying, while using my phone to play music through speakers during a party this is doubly annoying since now it's also announcing to everyone that I'm in a conversation with someone. How freakin' hard is it to give the option to play the notification only on your phone without interrupting the music at all like on BB10? Also, to skip a song or to back track, on BB10 I could do this without taking my attention away from whatever by simply long pressing one of the volume keys. Why is this not possible on Android??? You're forced to have to take the phone completely out, look at the screen, and use the screen to control media. WTF??

Anyway, if BB could fix these two issues on their Android launcher I would be happy. If they could integrate a toolbelt into their devices with physical call send and end keys that work, I would be VERY happy, lol.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-22-16 09:21 PM
    BB10 is a concept. Android seems to be hundreds of concepts wrangled by launchers. Using Dtek to see if I'll ultimately like it. Meanwhile my Z10 remains my daily. I'm one for whom a phone is a tool and really could care less about a lot of "necessary" apps.
    KAM1138 likes this.
    08-23-16 07:43 AM
    Hello,

Well, both android and iOS are low function app switchers. The blackberry "special sauce" makes it barely tolerable. But if does drag it over the line and gives some hope for the future if BlackBerry follows through with its software angle (on devices).

It underscores what an utter shame it is that BB10 is being left behind. No need for anyone to go on about how necessary it is financially.

KAM

Nice insight.
    08-23-16 07:48 AM
    On BB10 it's like in between Android and iOS with the phone number issue, lol. It's easy to see, just open the phone app and pull down to see it on top... But, you can't copy and paste it, haha.

But anyway, it is definitely a shame about BB10. Fortunately for me I don't use any of those apps that are not being supported, so I can continue to use a BB10 device as my personal device (I use an Android phone for work). But eventually I'll have to switch. And if there will be no more BB10 devices, then I hope BB does a good job with their launcher to bring over the BB10 interface.

The one thing about Android that I cannot stand is ironically how it handles the playing of media. Ironic because people always use apps and media as a reason why Android or iOS is better than BB, but for me, there's no question in this aspect. I use my phone to play music through BT connected speakers quite often. And often times it's during a situation where I cannot take my attention off something else, such as while driving. What I hate about Android is how when I get a notification, it interrupts my music and then plays the notification sound through the damn speakers... While driving this is annoying, while using my phone to play music through speakers during a party this is doubly annoying since now it's also announcing to everyone that I'm in a conversation with someone. How freakin' hard is it to give the option to play the notification only on your phone without interrupting the music at all like on BB10? Also, to skip a song or to back track, on BB10 I could do this without taking my attention away from whatever by simply long pressing one of the volume keys. Why is this not possible on Android??? You're forced to have to take the phone completely out, look at the screen, and use the screen to control media. WTF??

Anyway, if BB could fix these two issues on their Android launcher I would be happy. If they could integrate a toolbelt into their devices with physical call send and end keys that work, I would be VERY happy, lol.

Wow. Haven't tried that yet. But my BT hook is to my car. I have used the PPT and only got interrupted by an incoming call.
    I'll have to try this. Hmmmm. That would suck.
    Hello,

KAM

08-23-16 07:53 AM
    It's tough changing your OS after long usage. Habits get in the way...

That said, one of the big draws with Android is the sheer amount of customization that is possible. Of course the DTEK50 doesn't really allow that. You can't root and flash, you can't add Xposed Framework or other mods to control the device's behavior. The device dictates the behavior.

BlackBerry is in the driver seat and they determine the route. It becomes incumbent upon them to "get it right" as there is no "rerouting" during the trip.
    08-23-16 11:00 AM
    I've used iphones and Android iphones and bb10 and bb7 phones and bb10 was the most intuitive out of the box, for me. My objection to iOs was the lack of options, but I do get overwhelmed with the options in Android and just want a phone that works, these days. I think BlackBerry has done a good job of making android more usable.

My past objections to iOs, though, have vanished. I know this is a dtek thread but if it weren't for the keyboard on my Priv an iPhone might be more attractive to me. But, as mentioned by others, iphones are expensive. I can afford them but I buy phones outright and I have Scottish blood, so my 299 BlackBerry android device fits the bill for now, easily.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and auditman like this.
    08-23-16 11:17 AM
    I love the DTEK 50 android system. I am a non technical user. I had the iphone 5 and hated it from day one. Did not find it intuitive to use at all. Two years ago, I bought the BB Classic and fell in love with it as how to operate it was just intuitive to me. Two weeks ago got the DTEK and other than not having a PKB, I find the phone oh so much better with speed and it is very intuitive getting used to it. I don't think I would go back to my beloved Classic due to the slowness of doing things and struggling to find a good app to perform some task that I want to do. I think the Hub on my DTEK is just wonderful. I am very happy with my purchase.
    08-23-16 02:07 PM
    The one thing about Android that I cannot stand is ironically how it handles the playing of media. Ironic because people always use apps and media as a reason why Android or iOS is better than BB, but for me, there's no question in this aspect. I use my phone to play music through BT connected speakers quite often. And often times it's during a situation where I cannot take my attention off something else, such as while driving. What I hate about Android is how when I get a notification, it interrupts my music and then plays the notification sound through the damn speakers... While driving this is annoying, while using my phone to play music through speakers during a party this is doubly annoying since now it's also announcing to everyone that I'm in a conversation with someone. How freakin' hard is it to give the option to play the notification only on your phone without interrupting the music at all like on BB10? Also, to skip a song or to back track, on BB10 I could do this without taking my attention away from whatever by simply long pressing one of the volume keys. Why is this not possible on Android??? You're forced to have to take the phone completely out, look at the screen, and use the screen to control media. WTF?0
    Hi mate, to help with this one, if you turn on Do Not Disturb (and only allow phone calls to come through for example) you'll find this should solve this issue when playing music, for example. Let us know if you give it a try.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-23-16 07:46 PM
    BB10 is a concept. Android seems to be hundreds of concepts wrangled by launchers. Using Dtek to see if I'll ultimately like it. Meanwhile my Z10 remains my daily. I'm one for whom a phone is a tool and really could care less about a lot of "necessary" apps.
    I completely agree with you.

08-23-16 08:04 PM
    Hi mate, to help with this one, if you turn on Do Not Disturb (and only allow phone calls to come through for example) you'll find this should solve this issue when playing music, for example. Let us know if you give it a try.
    I know about that, but I don't want work-arounds. I want to still hear the notifications on my phone so I know when I get something. Sorry, I want it all, I never like to settle for "well, this kind of solves this problem at the expense of this other thing." It works on BB10 so there shouldn't be an issue with it working with the "superior" Android...

08-23-16 08:11 PM
    I know about that, but I don't want work-arounds. I want to still hear the notifications on my phone so I know when I get something. Sorry, I want it all, I never like to settle for "well, this kind of solves this problem at the expense of this other thing." It works on BB10 so there shouldn't be an issue with it working with the "superior" Android...

Fair enough mate. I mean this respectfully but I think BB10 is best for you. Without Do Not Disturb, I don't think what you're after is possible on either Android or iOS. Actually, if Blackberry Maps live traffic and associated re-routing was as good as Google Maps, I wouldn't have left my trusty Blackberry Classic and BB10. And I've tried putting Google Maps on the Classic and it works for a while but then starts playing up when there's new updates. I couldn't get NOW maps from the Amazon store to work either. But I'm loving my DTEK50 at the moment. All of my BlackBerry's in the past (9000 > 9700 > Q10 > Classic) and iPhones have always been in 'Phone Calls Only' mode (aka Do Not Disturb), so the DTEK50 has been a smooth transition for me, in terms of notifications etc.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-24-16 05:26 AM
    Fair enough mate. I mean this respectfully but I think BB10 is best for you. Without Do Not Disturb, I don't think what you're after is possible on either Android or iOS. Actually, if Blackberry Maps live traffic and associated re-routing was as good as Google Maps, I wouldn't have left my trusty Blackberry Classic and BB10. And I've tried putting Google Maps on the Classic and it works for a while but then starts playing up when there's new updates. I couldn't get NOW maps from the Amazon store to work either. But I'm loving my DTEK50 at the moment. All of my BlackBerry's in the past (9000 > 9700 > Q10 > Classic) and iPhones have always been in 'Phone Calls Only' mode (aka Do Not Disturb), so the DTEK50 has been a smooth transition for me, in terms of notifications etc.
    I have version 7 of Google Maps on my Classic and it still works great. Actually GPS locks faster than the latest version of Google Maps on my Android phone ironically...

But eventually I'll be forced to switch, so I hope BB figures something out with that because those things annoy the bejeezus out of me...

Em2016 likes this.
    08-24-16 09:05 AM
    [QUOTE=sidtek50;12559783Say for example I want to find my own number. In iOS I simply tap on the phone icon, scroll to the top and my number is there. I can copy it and paste it wherever I like. On Android, I have to go through a series of different menus to get my own number only to find out I can't copy and paste it.

[/QUOTE]

Well, I believe that Dtek probably has the word substitution found on the Priv and prior BB devices.

type

mynumber (SPACE) and it will overwrite that with, well, guess what, your phonenumber.

(after that dramatic entry, I sure hope it works on your phone!)
    08-24-16 02:12 PM
    I have version 7 of Google Maps on my Classic and it still works great. Actually GPS locks faster than the latest version of Google Maps on my Android phone ironically...

But eventually I'll be forced to switch, so I hope BB figures something out with that because those things annoy the bejeezus out of me...

Too be honest I found many of the older apps do tend to do the basics much better. But just don't have all the options or capabilities... like making suggestions based on your location, or knowing you might want to switch to driving mode. But then most BlackBerry users would see these as privacy issues.... but then that's also why we need 3000mAh batteries these days.

I think BlackBerry's "figuring" out... will be to keep things basic and stick with what matters to make the phone "blackberryish", doubt they'll touch apps like MAPS
    08-24-16 03:22 PM
    I've decided to keep my DTEK50. The battery life was abysmal for the first 2-3 days but has seemed to settle now and I'm managing to get 11 hours of use out of it and have around 21% still in the tank! Not bad. I started off getting just 4-5 hours of screen on-time and was on the verge of going mad.
    I don't understand why people keep missing this point. All device especially BB do this since all the stuff you set up has no been downloaded/cache so the device is doing it the first few days. After that it just tops off what changes so of course it is less taxing.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-24-16 03:47 PM
    I've used iOS longest, then Android, then BlackBerry 10. Hands down BB10 was the best 'out of the box' for me.

There are advantages / disadvantages to iOS vs Android. Since Lollipop I feel that Google has dramatically narrowed the gap with iOS, and in some ways surpassed it. I think BlackBerry is on the right track to build out their software suite, and modify Android (minimally) to make it first and foremost a productivity oriented device out of the box. That's their core audience, and they should play to it. And Google is continuing to improve upon the core Android OS (nice notifications improvements coming in Nougat).

Anyway, been using the DTEK50 over my fabulous Passport, and despite missing the PKB, I'm otherwise very impressed. Especially considering this is a budget phone, not a flagship device. Agree with OP and mikedolo that the battery noticeably improves after the first few days of setting it up.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-24-16 03:54 PM
    I don't understand why people keep missing this point. All device especially BB do this since all the stuff you set up has no been downloaded/cache so the device is doing it the first few days. After that it just tops off what changes so of course it is less taxing.
    There was a lot of discussion leading up to the launch about how thin it was and the smaller battery, so people were 'looking for it', imho. AND, BlackBerry is still building out their suite, and are relatively new to Android, so undoubtedly they're going to get better at finding efficiencies in their software. Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC, etc have been doing this for much longer so I assume they can squeeze out more life at the same maH.
    08-24-16 03:58 PM
    I've used iphones and Android iphones and bb10 and bb7 phones and bb10 was the most intuitive out of the box, for me. My objection to iOs was the lack of options, but I do get overwhelmed with the options in Android and just want a phone that works, these days. I think BlackBerry has done a good job of making android more usable.

My past objections to iOs, though, have vanished. I know this is a dtek thread but if it weren't for the keyboard on my Priv an iPhone might be more attractive to me. But, as mentioned by others, iphones are expensive. I can afford them but I buy phones outright and I have Scottish blood, so my 299 BlackBerry android device fits the bill for now, easily.

Q: How was copper wire invented?
    A: Two Scots fighting over a penny... =)

Full Disclosure: I'm Irish, lay it on me....
    finbar and auditman like this.
    08-24-16 04:25 PM
    Hahahahahha. That's seriously funny. I'm borrowing it! I already used it!

Ill pass on blistering an Irish brother because if you want to know how cheap I am, ask my Jewish grandfather and my Scottish dad. No joke. I'm the trifecta of cheap. The PowerBall of cheap, with megaplier.

Thats why I like BlackBerry's new tack.

anon(9353145) and auditman like this.
    08-24-16 10:48 PM
    Too be honest I found many of the older apps do tend to do the basics much better. But just don't have all the options or capabilities... like making suggestions based on your location, or knowing you might want to switch to driving mode. But then most BlackBerry users would see these as privacy issues.... but then that's also why we need 3000mAh batteries these days.

I think BlackBerry's "figuring" out... will be to keep things basic and stick with what matters to make the phone "blackberryish", doubt they'll touch apps like MAPS
    I personally only want the app to show me what I ask of it. I honestly get annoyed when some computer system tells me something on its own or switches something on its own like it knows what I intend to do. Often it's wrong so it just makes it a hassle to revert it back...

08-25-16 06:42 AM
    Android=Linux IOS=MacOS, Windows=Winders. Linux is a very free form, roll your own operating system. Check out Linux Mint 18 for more (running on my laptop, and very stable, easy to use O/S). Open Source vs Closed Source.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    08-25-16 07:06 AM
    Q: How was copper wire invented?
    A: Two Scots fighting over a penny... =)
    Thoughts on Android?-won-internet.jpg
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    08-25-16 10:23 AM
26 12