Knox is a red herring given that a consumer is not going to be connected to either Know or BBRY EMM solutions.

As devices used by consumers, there is no evidence the Dtek50 is more secure than the s7 - none.
    I would argue that faster updates and unrootability = more security. And the judicious use of DTEK can help users protect themselves better from apps making inappropriate or unwanted permission requests. But, I also agree with you that the way most consumers manage and use their phones is so inherently open to privacy invasions and insecure that their choice of devices has no bearing on their privacy or security.

Just think of all the people with public Facebook accounts publishing photos and posts of their kids, schedules, vacations, etc!

But, while consumers who will prefer the S7 if cost is no object make up most of the market, there are still substantial minorities of other users out there, too.

I find it simpler to guard my privacy and security with the DTEK50 than with Samsung's phones.

I prefer the look and feel of BB's implementation of Android to Samsung's.

I prefer not to pay a monthly fee for ad-free access to the BlackBerry Apps that comprise 80% of my smart phone user experience outside of Web browsing.

Posted via CB10
    cgk likes this.
    08-31-16 02:01 PM
    Wait until u get the 4 black lines of death on it s7 or maybe it's just the edge. I've used both phones. Sold my s7 edge for $670. Bought the dtek50 for $361 cdn. Really the only differences I've noticed is the battery life and camera...s7 edge wins. OS wise Dtek50. Like the blackberry launcher. To me there just android phones at the end of day.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-31-16 02:12 PM
    I'm actually also trying to decide between these 2 devices coming from the Passport.
    At the end of the day, is the DTEK50 really that much more secure than the S7 if I use due diligence in paying attention to app permissions when downloading/using apps?

Battery life and security is what's important to me but I think it'll be painful for me to move to the DTEK50 from my Passport.
    08-31-16 02:22 PM
    I'm actually also trying to decide between these 2 devices coming from the Passport.
    At the end of the day, is the DTEK50 really that much more secure than the S7 if I use due diligence in paying attention to app permissions when downloading/using apps?

Battery life and security is what's important to me but I think it'll be painful for me to move to the DTEK50 from my Passport.
    And as I pointed out in another thread, a DTEK50 won't blow up. See the news about the Samsung device today?

auditman likes this.
    08-31-16 02:34 PM
    And as I pointed out in another thread, a DTEK50 won't blow up. See the news about the Samsung device today?

Nope, I didn't but I did a quick search and it seems like the exploding devices may be attributed to 3rd party chargers/cables?
    08-31-16 03:24 PM
    Knox is a red herring given that a consumer is not going to be connected to either Know or BBRY EMM solutions.

As devices used by consumers, there is no evidence the Dtek50 is more secure than the s7 - none.
    Knox is available as a free app to consumers enabling it's use by everyday folk not on enterprise servers (although how many people actually download and use My Knox is probably a different story - point taken)

Posted via CB10
    cgk likes this.
    08-31-16 03:40 PM
    Nope, I didn't but I did a quick search and it seems like the exploding devices may be attributed to 3rd party chargers/cables?
    Samsung wouldn't stop production of their devices if that is the case. If this is being reported that way, it sounds like an Apple excuse. It's never their fault; it's always someone else's fault.

08-31-16 03:50 PM
    Do your own research.
    Nice argument... making internet forums redudant
    08-31-16 04:12 PM
    Knox is available as a free app to consumers enabling it's use by everyday folk not on enterprise servers (although how many people actually download and use My Knox is probably a different story - point taken)

Posted via CB10

Ah that's interesting - looking at that app, once you download it and consider the S7 has hardware root of trust and other hardware based feature, you are actually better off as a consumer given what it allows you to do with your data.
    08-31-16 04:30 PM
    S7 costs twice as much, so you get a nicer screen, better camera, better battery life, more powerful SOC, better gaming etc. But the DTEK50 is still great for the money. With BlackBerries extra security, cleaner Android look and Android apps, I think, given the price, I would choose the DTEK50.

Posted via CB10
    syclone1978 likes this.
    08-31-16 04:48 PM
    I'm torn as well. I want to try out this BB Android but not sure if spending a few hundred more is worth it

Posted via CB10
    08-31-16 05:13 PM
    I'm torn as well. I want to try out this BB Android but not sure if spending a few hundred more is worth it

Posted via CB10
    Its what you want to do with the device. What is it that the s7 will do for you that you cant do with dtek50.
    08-31-16 05:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well, if you believe the Argon is real, and coming soon, maybe wait and see? The DTEK50 is still in its infancy, I'm sure there'll be stock a few months down the road if you're still curious.
    08-31-16 06:47 PM
    I want the Argon

Posted via CB10
    08-31-16 07:54 PM
    S7

08-31-16 07:59 PM
    I switched to an S7 from a Priv as I had issues with the overall size of the Priv and the S7 being a smaller phone suited my hands much better. I'm running the Blackberry apps on it with keyboard and they all run great. S7 has great camera as well. Take a look at the options for both and get what may suit you best.

08-31-16 09:39 PM
    Its what you want to do with the device. What is it that the s7 will do for you that you cant do with dtek50.
    Nobody can answer that it seems! Beside finger scanning, water resistant (not water proof). There may be higher end hardware specs on Samsung S7 (and S7 edge) but not double the price worth. However I would easily give the software and security edge to DTEK50.

Posted via my DTEK50
    auditman likes this.
    08-31-16 10:42 PM
    In terms of security tho, the DTEK appears to be better

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    09-01-16 08:31 AM
    So the recent news is that Samsung is considering a recall of those shiny, new, supposedly well built S7s. Yikes, can't remember that happening to any BlackBerry devices, ever.. Not good for all you S7 fans that prefer it to the Priv , to say the least.

CerveloJohn likes this.
    09-01-16 06:31 PM
    So the recent news is that Samsung is considering a recall of those shiny, new, supposedly well built S7s. Yikes, can't remember that happening to any BlackBerry devices, ever.. Not good for all you S7 fans that prefer it to the Priv , to say the least.

Not s7s, it's new note 7. Expect huge price drop and bunch of manufactured refurbs note 7 lol.
    09-01-16 06:35 PM

Note7, not S7...

Cheers
    09-01-16 06:49 PM
    With Blackberrys fast updates and monthly patch i'd recommend DTEK50.

09-01-16 08:40 PM
    Please don't forget your Samsung will only be updated like 3 or 4 times because they require you to upgrade.

Whats your budget? What do you use your device for?

I'd go with s7 .. Enjoy.

09-02-16 01:22 AM
    I'm sure this was mentioned... But the Galaxy Note 7 was just recalled. I think you get what you pay for

Get the Dtek

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-02-16 01:35 AM
    Funny that the comparisons seem to focus on hardware vs software. Not to mention flagship vs mid range.

Beyond the camera (S7 wins hands down), is there that much difference? If not, it becomes a choice of price point (DTEK50 wins unlocked), and security (opinions seem to vary).

My question is this: Beyond the S7 / Note 7, what mid range Samsung offerings are likely to have monthly security updates, and be upgraded to the next Android OS? Personally, I think BlackBerry is more likely to carry OS upgrades longer across their device lines just based on their past.

Samsung? I'm not so confident.

My $0.02....
    09-02-16 01:50 AM
172 12345 ...