Is overnight battery charging bad for the life time of a battery. Think about it maybe 7 or 8 hours connected to a charger. So does the supplied dtek50 charger switch itself off or enter into a trickle charge mode when fully charged? I have noticed the charger being warm while charging but maybe after ten minutes of reaching full it's cooling down. I have read some info on line regarding lithium ion batteries not needing a 100% charge. Hope others may have an interest in finding out also as I have noticed some people on the forum saying they charge the phone overnight.
    12-04-16 01:46 PM
    This question is brought up frequently, not just on this forum, but on every smartphone forum/message board I'm a member of.

Short answer, we don't know.

Long answer, there is no proof that it negatively impacts the battery life of any phone (not DTEK50, not iPhone 7, not HTC 10, not OnePlus 3, any phone out there really). No one has done enough research to compare a group of phones which stay plugged in all night long and another group of phones which only get charged for short periods of time. If anyone knows of such a research, please link it...

So, if someone on this forum, or any other forum for that matter, tells you that it negatively impacts your phone if you keep it plugged in all night, DO NOT BELIEVE THEM, unless they can back up their statements with valid research papers published in a well respected journal.

I have been charging my DTEK50 every night between six and eight hours since I got the phone in late August, and the battery life has not improved or worsened since then.
    12-04-16 03:38 PM
    The latest BlackBerry blog posting on battery saving says it's ok to keep the device on the charger overnight. It does also say to use the charger that came with your device as well. Sorry I don't have a link but you can find it in the forums.
    12-04-16 04:13 PM
    Thanks for your reply. It's something I have often thought about but never asked. I prefer not to charge overnight but I guess the odd night or two wouldn't do any harm. With the battery in the dtek50 being not removable I would prefer to try and help it last as long as possible
    12-04-16 04:19 PM
    I've charged each phone overnight I've ever had, and I've never had an issue. I've owned all my phones for two years each and never noticed degradation in performance. I don't think it harms them.
    CerveloJohn and big_time2 like this.
    12-04-16 06:46 PM
    Is overnight battery charging bad for the life time of a battery. Think about it maybe 7 or 8 hours connected to a charger. So does the supplied dtek50 charger switch itself off or enter into a trickle charge mode when fully charged? I have noticed the charger being warm while charging but maybe after ten minutes of reaching full it's cooling down. I have read some info on line regarding lithium ion batteries not needing a 100% charge. Hope others may have an interest in finding out also as I have noticed some people on the forum saying they charge the phone overnight.
    Leaving on the phone on the charger overnight does not mean that the battery is charged overnight unchecked. If you ever monitor the voltage on the battery, you will notice the the fully charge voltage is 4.39 volts prepared to the battery rating of 4.4 volts. If you also read the voltage first thing in the morning with the phone still on the charger, the voltage would be at round 4.36 to 4.34 volts depending on how many emails and notifications you have got while you were sleeping. You will also notice that the battery indicator is at 100% and the lock screen reports that the phone is charged. All this tells you that the battery reached fully charged voltage of 4.4/4.39 volts some time at night and started discharging even it is on the charger. The phone controls the charge current and won't let it charge the battery beyond 4.4 volts and won't let it charge the battery even when the voltage drops to 4.34 or even lower. So I won't worry about leaving the phone on the charger overnight.
    12-04-16 08:07 PM
    As a matter of interest how would I go about measuring the voltage of the battery in the phone. I don't see it in settings and the battery is non removable. Glad to hear that the battery will not suffer in any way due to being on the charger For a long time, so the phone itself must regulate the charge and cut off at 100%. Thanks again All for the replies
    12-05-16 01:57 AM
    This question is always a hot topic of debate. I personally think its fine to be left charging over night but if i can avoid it i will.
    I like to charge till say 90% and then recharge when it gets down to 25% or around there. So i don't leave t charging over night but if i did, i don't think it would damage the battery.
    12-05-16 02:50 AM
    As a matter of interest how would I go about measuring the voltage of the battery in the phone. I don't see it in settings and the battery is non removable. Glad to hear that the battery will not suffer in any way due to being on the charger For a long time, so the phone itself must regulate the charge and cut off at 100%. Thanks again All for the replies
    Any battery app or system status app will give you the battery voltage as reported by the os. I use an app called Voltage Notifier. All it does is reporting the battery voltage in the notification bar so that I don't see it all the time.
    12-05-16 10:21 AM
    I been doing it all the time. With a QC2.
    12-06-16 08:02 AM
    It sounds to me like there is so little difference between charging styles that you may as well do what suits your own style of usage. For most people it makes so much sense to start the day with a full battery, and get a full days use out of it. I thought it was sort of how they designed them to work, why complicate it?

Posted via CB10
    12-07-16 11:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD