Can someone please list the Settings options to maximise battery life and confirm which apps consume most power? Would be useful for many of us I'm sure. (Bla1ze?)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-20-16 01:29 AM
    screen brightness, keypad sounds, double tap to wake, keyboard vibrate.

I always turn off Location and WiFi when I'm not using them. Also NFC and anything that's sending data out on a regular basis that doesn't need to. Google Play is a good example I'd think. These can be real data leeches too.

There is all way to resisrict what goes on in the background for every app. If it's not something I use on while on data I tend to restrict it. To me, it makes sense that what isn't draining on data would also not drain the battery.

This probably doesn't answer all your questions but I hope it helps. And I'm actually curious on other answers as well.

To me the biggest drain on battery appears to be the screen. The longer it's on the more loss we see. Which obviously sucks for things like typing messages, watching videos and anything that requires the screen stay on.
    08-20-16 06:07 AM
    Yes. I turned the screen auto off. It's pretty bright so mine is set at about 60%.
    08-20-16 07:00 AM
    I turn off all auto syncs such as email, calendar and contacts.

Most SIP phone apps consume lots of battery. I won't let any of them run in the background if not needed.

Also play attention to the widgets. Set their update frequency no more frequent than your needs. I find the functions of most widgets can be replaced by notifications.
    08-20-16 07:23 AM
    I'm coming from a iPhone 6 Plus and I'm finding the battery life is horrible on the DTEK. Anybody else finding this?
    sidtek50 and Deanig_12 like this.
    08-20-16 05:27 PM
    I'm coming from a iPhone 6 Plus and I'm finding the battery life is horrible on the DTEK. Anybody else finding this?
    Isn't the iPhone 6+ supposed to get pretty good battery life? I don't think anybody will be talking about battery life as one of the strong suits for the DTEK50 so I'm not surprised you probably aren't finding the battery life to be adequate.

Coming from the 6+, I think the Priv might have been a more comparable phone and better option.
    08-20-16 05:56 PM
    Isn't the iPhone 6+ supposed to get pretty good battery life? I don't think anybody will be talking about battery life as one of the strong suits for the DTEK50 so I'm not surprised you probably aren't finding the battery life to be adequate.

Coming from the 6+, I think the Priv might have been a more comparable phone and better option.
    Yea maybe, but i wanted a smaller phone.
    08-20-16 07:52 PM
    I came from the iPhone SE and I can't believe how horrible battery life is on the DTEK50. I'm extremely disappointed to be honest. I am not a big fan of android, but I think Blackberry have done a good job tweaking it. But to not give it a better battery.... I'm lost for words. I can literally lose 50% within 3 hours. That's extremely poor by anyone's standards. I'm going to buy a fast-charger tomorrow and see if that helps things, if not, i'm going to return to the iPhone.

I will say this: if I return to the iPhone, i'm afraid that's it for me. I wont be buying another Blackberry. As a manufacturer, you shouldn't be putting out a phone that loses 50% battery within 3 hours. And that's brand new. Imagine when Android N comes out and 2 years pass by, you'll be losing 50% battery within 1.5 hours. Unacceptable :-(
    08-21-16 12:00 AM
    I turn off all auto syncs such as email, calendar and contacts.

Most SIP phone apps consume lots of battery. I won't let any of them run in the background if not needed.

Also play attention to the widgets. Set their update frequency no more frequent than your needs. I find the functions of most widgets can be replaced by notifications.
    But its a smartphone...you shouldnt need to do this with a modern phone....just sain!!

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    Sparksx, Barbareren and howarmat like this.
    08-21-16 12:59 AM
    I came from the iPhone SE and I can't believe how horrible battery life is on the DTEK50. I'm extremely disappointed to be honest. I am not a big fan of android, but I think Blackberry have done a good job tweaking it. But to not give it a better battery.... I'm lost for words. I can literally lose 50% within 3 hours. That's extremely poor by anyone's standards. I'm going to buy a fast-charger tomorrow and see if that helps things, if not, i'm going to return to the iPhone.

I will say this: if I return to the iPhone, i'm afraid that's it for me. I wont be buying another Blackberry. As a manufacturer, you shouldn't be putting out a phone that loses 50% battery within 3 hours. And that's brand new. Imagine when Android N comes out and 2 years pass by, you'll be losing 50% battery within 1.5 hours. Unacceptable :-(
    The iPhone SE has one of the best, if not the best, battery life of any phone under 5.2 inches. To be fair to my DTEK50 though, battery life is a lot better after 5 days now. I would lose 5-10% battery life overnight for the initial days but after a few days I'm now only losing 1% overnight, which is the same as my Priv.
    BigAl_BB9900 and Superfly_FR like this.
    08-21-16 02:40 AM
    today is the day where I decide what to do with the phone. it was on 2% battery this morning so I plugged it into the power brick.

over 2 hours to charge from 0-100% using the cable that came with the phone.
    08-21-16 04:11 AM
    Interesting. I don't see any message about the time to fully charge with my DTEK50. I only see the green/red bar temporarily when I plug in the charger and then it disappears.

edit: I had this setting on to only switch on when the screen is on. Just turned it on permanently.
    sidtek50 likes this.
    08-21-16 04:18 AM
    After a fwe days battery life is far better. When we T-Mo people get WFC and are able to make calls with cell radio off in wifi environments, battery life will get even better. Of course... they're working on it.

BlackBerry DTEK50 T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    08-21-16 07:16 AM
    But its a smartphone...you shouldnt need to do this with a modern phone....just sain!!

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    If you use the phone as much as I do (my screen on time is 5-6 hrs), you'll need every power conservation measure, no matter which smartphone you have today.

My Z30 usually won't last till 5pm. So far, except for the day I was testing out Waze, the battery last me through 11pm albeit with 5% left.
    naijab0y likes this.
    08-21-16 08:14 AM
    Yes, coming from an iphone you are going to be pretty miserable with the DTEK.
    08-21-16 09:02 AM
    Yes, coming from an iphone you are going to be pretty miserable with the DTEK.
    Yea I've been using the DTEK for 5 days now. Just can't put up with this battery anymore. Back to the iPhone I go. Gave you an honest chance but just not for me.
    sidtek50 likes this.
    08-21-16 09:08 AM
    Yea I've been using the DTEK for 5 days now. Just can't put up with this battery anymore. Back to the iPhone I go. Gave you an honest chance but just not for me.
    same here. I've decided to go back to iPhone and I wont be looking back. sorry Blackberry but this is definitely not the comeback I was expecting.
    08-21-16 09:15 AM
    I'm planning on trying the DTEK. I use a passport now and find that on the weekends I turn into a heavy user. I often have to do a quick top up to last me through to bed time. Curious to see how the DTEK holds up.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-16 09:35 AM
    Coming from the PP it will not hold up well and you will most likely be unhappy with the DTEK.
    08-21-16 09:41 AM
    Can someone please list the Settings options to maximise battery life and confirm which apps consume most power? Would be useful for many of us I'm sure.
    I installed Avast Battery Saver to help manage battery consumption. Others may recommend their favorite Battery Saver Apps, but I currently use Avast on an Android phone and can increase battery life significantly.

I have not received my DTEK50 yet, so I don't have experience with DTEK50 and Avast, but do plan on re-installing it when it comes.

As has been mentioned turning off location (if you can afford to), setting the display to sleep in one to two minutes, and other tips as mentioned in the following articles:

PC Mag | 11 Tips to Boost Your Android Phone's Battery Life

ZD Net | 10 tips for better battery life for Android phones

Android Authority | How to extend your Android�s battery life

Steve
    08-21-16 10:56 AM
    Out of interest, how long have you had the DTEK? All recent BlackBerry devices I have had, have all been pants for Battery Life for the first 3-5 days, and then suddenly... much, much better. I have always assumed that this is to do with background indexing etc.
    sethr likes this.
    08-21-16 12:38 PM
    Out of interest, how long have you had the DTEK? All recent BlackBerry devices I have had, have all been pants for Battery Life for the first 3-5 days, and then suddenly... much, much better. I have always assumed that this is to do with background indexing etc.
    I can confirm, after 1 week dtek battery is much better, I also installed Greenify, configured screen off after 30 seconds, turned off Wifi when it's not needed (Wifi toogler from the market), NFC completely off and now, I have like 30% in the evening...
    BigAl_BB9900 and sethr like this.
    08-21-16 12:59 PM
    If you're not in the need of instant sync (no sync until you actually launch the app) , can live with a darker screen and lower speed, then simply turn the power saving mode on in the fast settings (swipe twice or w/ 2 fingers from the top of the screen).

Sure, you can trick settings with something much more granular but you may also regret that later as some combinations may be hard to reverse (I mean find back all the modified parameters).

So, if you have an extended day out (say more than +/- 10 hours) you may want to turn this on, it'll do the job for you and you can turn it on / off in a breath.

2cents.

Edit/P.S : guys, stop comparing DTEK50 against devices that basically worth twice the price ...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-21-16 01:25 PM
    same here. I've decided to go back to iPhone and I wont be looking back. sorry Blackberry but this is definitely not the comeback I was expecting.
    You can't compare DTEK with a phone that costs 2 or more times more ....

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    sethr, Jrox74 and CDM76 like this.
    08-21-16 02:37 PM
    You can't compare DTEK with a phone that costs 2 or more times more ....

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    2 or 3 times more??? come on, that's ridiculous. the SE is �359 from Apple. i paid �299 for my Blackberry. �60 difference. 2-3x more would be �900.

you absolutely can compare the two.
    08-21-16 02:40 PM
58 123