Just an observation but it does look as though blackberry made a pragmatic decision when they walked away from bb10 to android. Looking around for a replacement for my z10, my research led me to consider the opposition. Apple stuff is prohibitively expensive, additionally, once you start using apple, it is difficult to get away so all in all, apple is not for me. Samsung, LG and Sony stuff is also pricey compared with bb. If you have a proper look around, no one is making flagship windows phones. There has not been a flagship Lumia since 2015 - windows phone going down the pan? The carriers that sell contracts are still selling bb contract phones. Android does not look like it will disappear or be eclipsed. The specs of the dtek50 and dtek60 are a match for most other mid range to flagship phones. Relax people. The future for blackberry is far healthier than we sometimes think.
    falbo and Johnny Dollar like this.
    01-28-17 12:32 PM
    Lag??
    01-28-17 10:34 PM
    As far as I am concerned I doubt people who think the fire tablet is a good investment even know what lag is.

It's like my aunts using the s3 who thinks it's the most advanced technology they've ever seen.

If the Priv lags, you can be sure the dtek50 lags. Even the iphone lags and so does the s7.

Use logic people...

Posted via CB10
    I have 3 Fire tablets around the house and yes I do think they are a good investment comparing bang for buck. You seem very concerned with lag which is a non issue with the Dtek50. If 'lag' is such a big issue and you cannot bare a few milliseconds response time, you need to relax a bit and take some lag time when going for a dump, it's healthy... Then again, you seem to have a lot of time on your hands constantly trying to bash BlackBerry so lag should not be an issue for you at all...
    Last edited by nrussouw; 01-28-17 at 10:52 PM.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    01-28-17 10:36 PM
    I bought the $50 fire tablet. It's slow. Internet takes forever, downloading an app from amazon takes forever, loading a big app takes forever, and the darn thing is always dragging my slow home wifi down. I eventually gave up on it or use it offline only. You can almost see the pixels onscreen.

It's good as an ereader or if you use any app offline., at least.

Oh, and the virtual keyboard is the absolute worst thing I've ever typed on. Ever.

Get a dtek50 instead.

Or a higher end fire tablet.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-28-17 11:14 PM
    BlackBerry Android is modified so it will only run on BlackBerry hardware.

BlackBerry Hardware will only run a BlackBerry version of Android.

They all use a process BlackBerry calls Root of Trust which I will try to explain below

The BlackBerry phone verifies the first file that is loaded against a BlackBerry supplied key before it is allowed to run. The first file run verifies the second and so on.

If any of the files are tested and they don't pass inspection the boot process stops.

Also, the hardware has to pass the key or the first file loaded won't run.

That's basically how it works.

Feel free to correct me if I've mis-stated anything.
    01-29-17 04:08 PM
    I have 3 Fire tablets around the house and yes I do think they are a good investment comparing bang for buck. You seem very concerned with lag which is a non issue with the Dtek50. If 'lag' is such a big issue and you cannot bare a few milliseconds response time, you need to relax a bit and take some lag time when going for a dump, it's healthy... Then again, you seem to have a lot of time on your hands constantly trying to bash BlackBerry so lag should not be an issue for you at all...
    I've owned all of their devices since the Z10 inlcuding multiple versions/editions/colors of the same phone.

If they release an inferior product I will state so - it's my opinion anyway loll

If people want to make false claims about a device then go ahead - but I'd be happy to hear an opinion such as mine so I don't make an uninformed decision, which is what this forum seems to be full of recently.

The issue isn't can I handle lag - all phones I've used had lag.

The issue is people claiming the 50 is fast and smooth as butter when that isn't true at all. It performs as it was intended to be. People saying it's just as fast as the flagships are delusional and spreading false information and I'm here to provide another opinion.

#whatisclassic
    01-29-17 10:19 PM
    Haha I have an old Playbook as well. Its a good 64 Gig storage device and does a good job playing music especially if I plug it in to my Bose. That's about it though.
    Neutron with bluetooth to Bose mini, email, alarm clock, kobo books, 32 gb version with 4g lte. Since 2012 the damn thing won't die!
    02-01-17 12:27 AM
    Depends on what you mean by software. The Hub, Calendar, Contacts, Password Keeper and more are available to download for free or with subscription afterward. Unofficially, you can even use the BlackBerry Keyboard.
    This is exactly my LG V20 setup, using cobalt's BlackBerry Manager solution.
    02-01-17 12:49 AM
    I've owned all of their devices since the Z10 inlcuding multiple versions/editions/colors of the same phone.

If they release an inferior product I will state so - it's my opinion anyway loll

If people want to make false claims about a device then go ahead - but I'd be happy to hear an opinion such as mine so I don't make an uninformed decision, which is what this forum seems to be full of recently.

The issue isn't can I handle lag - all phones I've used had lag.

The issue is people claiming the 50 is fast and smooth as butter when that isn't true at all. It performs as it was intended to be. People saying it's just as fast as the flagships are delusional and spreading false information and I'm here to provide another opinion.

#whatisclassic
    Of course a flagship has more power but the 50 does a good job for what it was intended for as you say.
    02-01-17 09:44 PM
    Pound for pound or dollar for dollar, the dtek 50 is still a strong product. If you pay 2 or 3 times more for a flagship phone, will you achieve get a phone that is 2 or 3 times better? Perhaps I am unique, all I want to use my phone for is send/receive email, texts and oh, yes, make phone calls

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    02-02-17 02:13 AM
    Personally I haven't seen any difference in performance between my PRIV and DTEK50, mind you I don't play games or push the device hard just normal Web browsing, phone calls, text messages, etc.
    02-04-17 07:55 AM
86 ... 234