Currently own a BlackBerry Leap and the battery life is excellent. Even after more than a year of full, heavy use this phone has yet to disappoint...
    For those who have made use extensively of their DTECK50, can anyone make a comparison or share some thoughts about the two devices and their battery life?

Any insight would be most welcome. Thanks.

Respect My Autoritah!
    08-14-16 07:54 PM
    It's not the same. I have a Z30 and gave dtek50 a shot but battery was disappointing. You are constantly looking for a power source where with my Z30 only thought about plugging in at night. Having said that the android does have way more notifications and apps that you use to drain the phone. So if you are like me after 8-10 hours you will be looking to charge it.

Having said that very nice feel and look to the phone. BlackBerry has done an outstanding job with the software skin. Very efficient

Posted via CB10
    adonesc likes this.
    08-14-16 07:58 PM
    Sorry...duplicate comment...again...
    08-14-16 08:16 PM
    It's not the same. I have a Z30 and gave dtek50 a shot but battery was disappointing. You are constantly looking for a power source where with my Z30 only thought about plugging in at night. Having said that the android does have way more notifications and apps that you use to drain the phone. So if you are like me after 8-10 hours you will be looking to charge it.

Having said that very nice feel and look to the phone. BlackBerry has done an outstanding job with the software skin. Very efficient

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the reply. But dammit...I mean I knew that battery life cannot be exactly the same on the account that the battery on the DTEK50 is smaller than the one on the Leap...but yeah what you are saying seems to be in line with what I've been hearing from others.

The Leap has been maligned since it came out, but for me it has done right by me as a device. If it wasn't for the increasingly dire app situation, which even a modest user such as myself is starting to feel, and the uncertain (I'm trying to be kind here) future of BB10, the Leap would be fine for a few more years.

I thought the DTEK50 was a more or less comparable choice. I really liked my Z10 but the battery life was not good at all. So after getting the Leap I would really like to avoid getting back to yet another phone which dies out when I need it most on account of a crummy battery.

Of course nothing beats a hands on trial of the DTEK50...

Respect My Autoritah!
    Last edited by adonesc; 08-18-16 at 08:04 PM.
    08-14-16 08:17 PM
    This is a concern for me too since my son (has had the Z10 and now the Leap) will consider the Dtek50 when the app situation is a concern. His Pebble watch no longer pairs with his phone. The Priv might be too bulky for him.

Posted via my Priv
    adonesc likes this.
    08-14-16 09:18 PM
    This was a concern for me as well as I also am coming from a Leap. I too found it a great phone, perfect for work. The DTEK50 is definitely going to have less stamina in the battery department, but I've found it pretty good. Depends how many things you've got going on at the same time, but today was a fairly slow day on the phone and I've 33% at midnight, so not too bad really.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails Leap and DTEK50 battery life?-screenshot_20160814-235533.jpg  
    adonesc likes this.
    08-15-16 02:00 AM
    Thank you for your answers. I'll have to think on this. I only got my Leap a little over a year ago and I'd hate parting with it soo soon...as I bought it outright, unlocked from BlackBerry.

But the Android Runtime is slowly dying off, the promised OS updates for BB10 are not materialising and let's face it, even if you don't really need 40 fart apps, there are others I can't do without as these phones have become more than just communication devices...and BlackBerry World is almost a wasteland...and the Amazon Appstore is an afterthought at best.

I need to get my hands on a DTEK50 display model and try it out for myself. If it doesn't satisfy, I'm leaving BlackBerry altogether and moving to Windows 10...and that prospect doesn't necessarily appeal
    to me that much...LOL

Respect My Autoritah!
    Last edited by adonesc; 08-18-16 at 08:04 PM.
    08-15-16 09:46 PM
    I'm in a similar situation, currently using a Z30 and am in love with the battery life. I plan to wait and see if the next Android device from Blackberry (Argon or Mercury) can satisfy in the battery department. If not I may get the new 5" Nexus when it comes out and install the Hub + apps on it (assuming it's battery life is better than the DTEK50).

Posted via CB10
    adonesc likes this.
    08-15-16 10:19 PM
    No way eight hours. Heck I charged mine up last night and this morning it said 80%.
    adonesc likes this.
    08-15-16 10:21 PM
    Pretty average day on the phone today, several phone calls, lots of BBM messages, downloaded a few apps and set them up and I'm still at 38% at 10:00. Took the phone off the charger around 7 this morning. Battery on the Leap would have been around 50% for the same usage, this battery seems to be getting better the more I have the phone, or else I'm getting better at closing the apps right away. It's a great little phone, almost physically identical to the Leap but a slightly larger screen and thinner of course. I really like it.

adonesc likes this.
    08-16-16 12:04 AM
    Thank you again for all your replies. Nice hearing from people who actually use the phone. Honestly with a few exceptions, most of the "professional" reviews are just one put-down after another.

I've been pretty critical of BlackBerry and their moves as of late, but when you see some of the reviews about the DTEK50, which have no value other than just to confirm one negative sentiment after another, and the oftentimes disdain you see when a review of any BlackBerry phone is needed, really rubs me the wrong way.

I'll have my rants here and there, but as a consumer, what I want from the techies is a review of the damn thing, not a sermon of why they dislike BlackBerry and everything they do.

Honestly the more brainfart reviews I see or read against the DTEK50...the more I want to have the device! Not crazy about Android...but I feel that in terms of other platforms and operating systems outhere...the choice is made for us as consumers ...LOL

So I'll see what's what with the DTEK50...

Respect My Autoritah!
    08-17-16 01:00 AM
    Totally agree with u.

08-18-16 07:54 PM