View Poll Results: Should the DTEK50 have an RGB notification LED?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

99 75.57%
  • No

1 0.76%
  • Doesn't matter

31 23.66%
    Full form of RGB?

Posted via CB10
    Red Green Blue

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 12:01 PM
    Would an app like , that puts the light on the display not work? Just might end up being hit and miss with marshmallow randomly shutting off stuff that runs in the background.
    07-27-16 12:29 PM
    I'm good with a single led although I would have preferred red. However I hope they fixed their implementation of that led to flash until acknowledged as it use to in older BlackBerrys. In BB10, it flashed for 15mins and then turns off. I had to install Hub++ to get my feature back.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 12:35 PM
    I'm good with a single led although I would have preferred red. However I hope they fixed their implementation of that led to flash until acknowledged as it use to in older BlackBerrys. In BB10, it flashed for 15mins and then turns off. I had to install Hub++ to get my feature back.

Posted via CB10
    How old are you talking about? My 8100 Pearl from '07 running OS4.5 had the 15 min limit too.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 01:19 PM
    If they had to change out chipset for their "hardware root of trust"... changing out an LED would have been nothing in comparison.
    That's the question. Did they go that far and change chip sets. And, yes, changing the LED module would then be nothing.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 01:23 PM
    What is wrong with lock screen notifications? Which can be used on this DTEK50
    I guess all the iPhone users must be suffering immensely from no LED light.

I will miss it but not even close to a deal killer. Use screen notifications or is that too difficult?

Going from PRIV > DTEK50 > Argon?
    07-27-16 01:31 PM
    Nothing is wrong with lock screen notifications, unless you compare them with something completely different. [RGB] LED notifications let you know what notifications you have without touching your phone, they're more comparable to sound/vibration notifications.

Also iPhone users are already suffering all the time from having to concentrate hard enough to keep breathing. iPhones are for children, they are nothing which you should compare an actual phone (especially a blackberry phone) to.
    07-27-16 02:01 PM
    I've used a similar app on an old galaxy, it worked well. But that was on an amoled screen, the little dot is the only part of the screen turned on, on lcd I think it will not be as nice on the battery. But it would work.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 03:25 PM
    Can this be made "Always On?" So we have a white date and time showing like many new Androids have.

SO MANY details are missing from BKB.
    07-27-16 03:39 PM

I will miss it but not even close to a deal killer. Use screen notifications or is that too difficult?

Going from PRIV > DTEK50 > Argon?
    I use both.

Use case:

Leave phone and walk away. Far enough you can't hear ringtone (or it's on silent). When you return to the phone, the flashing LED tells you if you missed something (and if you set a color, you know the category of that thing missed). If the LED is flashing, then I check lockscreen notifications. If the notification on the lockscreen is important, then I enter password to unlock phone.

So removing the LED would make me have to check the lockscreen every time I return to my phone. Without swipe to wake (missing in BlackBerry's Android), this becomes even more of a chore.
    07-27-16 04:52 PM
    I use both.

Use case:

Leave phone and walk away. Far enough you can't hear ringtone (or it's on silent). When you return to the phone, the flashing LED tells you if you missed something (and if you set a color, you know the category of that thing missed). If the LED is flashing, then I check lockscreen notifications. If the notification on the lockscreen is important, then I enter password to unlock phone.

So removing the LED would make me have to check the lockscreen every time I return to my phone. Without swipe to wake (missing in BlackBerry's Android), this becomes even more of a chore.
    The DTEK will still have a flashing LED, you just can't change it's color.
    07-27-16 04:55 PM
    Several Android devices, including the Samsung S# series have color LEDs. Not just a BlackBerry thing.
    ^this. Personally, i wouldn't buy a phone without the colored leds. I have to keep my phone on silent during the day and depend on the led to know what messages i need to respond too. My G4 has me spoiled.
    07-27-16 05:22 PM
    As usual BB came with mediocre high priced phone missing some of very common feature todays.
    Just one thing makes it obvious choice of some : Security.
    Why BB is unable to come with the right mix of Hardware+Security which everyone wants to buy ?
    07-28-16 12:17 AM
    IMHO The Dtek isn't made for the BlackBerry enthusiast, it's been made for the rest of the world. Wait for the Rome.

Posted via CB10
    crackbb10 likes this.
    07-28-16 12:50 AM
    Since smartwatches getting more popular, I think LED does not have the same importance as some years ago. I get my notifications on my pebble and don't need LED anymore.

@kanungoash,

I agree with you! Blackberry will focus on software and they are right to do so!
    Last edited by Jenserm; 07-28-16 at 01:39 AM.
    07-28-16 01:00 AM
    It comes with white only, and that's great for me because white is the only color I ever use
    So if you like white then you'll be happy cause the DTEK50 does come with white led but it's the only color.

From BlackBerryZ10 🔟� Passport or Priv, whichever I want to use that day.
    07-28-16 01:43 AM
    There's an app called BBNotifications in the Play Store that let's you have any led you want. I used it on my BlackBerry Priv for disco before I switched to white only.

From BlackBerryZ10 🔟� Passport or Priv, whichever I want to use that day.
    07-28-16 01:45 AM
    I have never used multi colors. I just want the Red. But hey, I only premium BlackBerry devices and I'm sure my next device will have the RGB.
    07-28-16 05:00 AM
    It is an issue for current and former BlackBerry users. For the target audience it is not. The mid to low end device users are familiar with Android features. Those are users that BlackBerry needs to bring in to keep the device segment stable and they won't even notice a difference.

This is an entry level device running Android 6. Let's hope that the Android Berry features help restore confidence in the brand and the understanding of how BlackBerry features benefit the user. Small steps, then start climbing the mountain.

Posted from my reluctantly purchased Priv
    I agree. The target audience for this device is very broad but specific. They aim for mass corporate deployments as the phone is cheap. Whoever was moving away from BlackBerry now have a cheap and good option. And new users, individuals that will consider this device. Of course there is the appeal for current BlackBerry users and those, including myself, will miss the dedicated led. For others, I don't think they will ever miss it.....

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 05:04 AM
    No LED notification light is inexcusable on a BlackBerry phone.
    gnirkatto likes this.
    07-28-16 10:40 AM
    But it's just fine for an Alcatel Android device :-p

 Passport/SQW100-3  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    07-28-16 10:44 AM
    If this is deal breaker for you then do not buy it. If I did not own priv I would have this phone already pre-ordered. Price is right and I get all features from old z10 or z30 + android. What is not to like about it. The missing led does not bother me that much
    Um, I'm not going to buy it. But you're here wondering why people are voicing their concerns and their wants? Should we all just keep quiet if there's something we would like to have and simply buy whatever is released?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-28-16 11:44 AM
    An RGB LED is actually 3 LED's in one and needs 3 digital I/O to address each one. That would be a major hardware redesign. Might as well redesign the whole phone. 3 LEDs means different circuit board traces, different solder masks, different tooling and parts sourcing. Not gonna happen, get used to it.
    07-28-16 12:31 PM
    It has a notification LED, just not one that can change colors.
    07-28-16 01:24 PM
    An RGB LED is actually 3 LED's in one and needs 3 digital I/O to address each one. That would be a major hardware redesign. Might as well redesign the whole phone. 3 LEDs means different circuit board traces, different solder masks, different tooling and parts sourcing. Not gonna happen, get used to it.
    Yep, in a design that uses an existing PCB revision... no HW spin, no RGBLED.

I am out of touch with the Android realm but am sure that some sort of status LED control application exists? What would be excellent on BB's part is to release a simple app that allows the configuration of the single LED to indicate different notifications.

Short repetitive blinks = one type of notification
    Longer blink = another type
    Short + Long = another type
    Fade in + ...

One can easily configure five or six different blink patterns/rates to indicate different notifications.

Do more with less!
    07-28-16 01:32 PM
203 12345 ...