I figured I would retire my Z10 after, say, a decade. And other than video camera lagging I am still satisfied with it. But I would consider a DTEK for one of the reasons I bough the Z10- I want to send a message of support to BB. And get a decent if not sexy/cool phone; I am an in-it-for-the-long-run guy. Bells and whistles get annoying after a while.

I can live with the lack of RGB LED notification on the DTEK but I see that the battery is not accessible, one of the things I like about the Z10. If I need to, it takes 20 seconds to pop in a fresh battery. (And 90 to reboot!) . It is rare but sometimes I have to pop the battery to reboot the device though, maybe 3 times a year. What do I do when the built in DTEK battery fails as it eventually must?

I would be interested in hearing from DTEK users or those who have experience with post-Z10 phones as to whether needing to reboot by battery is still a thing, or if, when the time comes, I can open 'er up and replace the battery.
    08-03-16 11:49 AM
    take advantage of the special on shopblackberry, and get the charger item at no cost. just like having a battery
    08-03-16 12:03 PM
    I figured I would retire my Z10 after, say, a decade. And other than video camera lagging I am still satisfied with it. But I would consider a DTEK for one of the reasons I bough the Z10- I want to send a message of support to BB. And get a decent if not sexy/cool phone; I am an in-it-for-the-long-run guy. Bells and whistles get annoying after a while.

I can live with the lack of RGB LED notification on the DTEK but I see that the battery is not accessible, one of the things I like about the Z10. If I need to, it takes 20 seconds to pop in a fresh battery. (And 90 to reboot!) . It is rare but sometimes I have to pop the battery to reboot the device though, maybe 3 times a year. What do I do when the built in DTEK battery fails as it eventually must?

I would be interested in hearing from DTEK users or those who have experience with post-Z10 phones as to whether needing to reboot by battery is still a thing, or if, when the time comes, I can open 'er up and replace the battery.
    I haven't looked into a teardown video yet on the DTEK50 although built in batteries are not always that difficult to replace.

Sure you void the warranty but if your battery starts to go before that year is up might as well take advantage of the exchange (unless you're in the EU, which I believe you have 2 years manufacturer warranty by default).

It will take a few screws and perhaps a plastic prying tool but if your battery does go and the DTEK50 has an easily replaceable internal battery, don't let that you deter you too much from the phone itself if you are already fond of its hardware and software offerings.
    08-03-16 12:43 PM
    I haven't looked into a teardown video yet on the DTEK50 although built in batteries are not always that difficult to replace.

Sure you void the warranty but if your battery starts to go before that year is up might as well take advantage of the exchange (unless you're in the EU, which I believe you have 2 years manufacturer warranty by default).

It will take a few screws and perhaps a plastic prying tool but if your battery does go and the DTEK50 has an easily replaceable internal battery, don't let that you deter you too much from the phone itself if you are already fond of its hardware and software offerings.
    I think he's talking about the Z10 as it has a removable battery.
    08-03-16 04:57 PM
    take advantage of the special on shopblackberry, and get the charger item at no cost. just like having a battery
    It's not the same at all. I can carry a spare z10 battery in my wallet and swap as necessary. Carrying around a portable charger and having to plug the phone in and wait for it to charge is just a hassle in comparison.

The fact that they're offering a portable charger with the DTEK50 is a very troubling sign. Does it support the quick charging at least?

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    08-03-16 05:18 PM
    It's not the same at all. I can carry a spare z10 battery in my wallet and swap as necessary. Carrying around a portable charger and having to plug the phone in and wait for it to charge is just a hassle in comparison.

The fact that they're offering a portable charger with the DTEK50 is a very troubling sign. Does it support the quick charging at least?

Posted via CB10
    Not sure I didn't pay that much attention to it, as I will not be getting one. But it's fairly big so you might get two full charges out of it.
    08-03-16 06:41 PM
    I can get through a long day without charging most of the time with my priv and could go a little longer on my z30. Both phones just smoked the z10 on battery. I'm assuming the dtek will too. So to answer your question, the non removable battery really isn't an issue. If the battery pack is a 2.0 charger it will charge extremely fast if you need to use it

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    08-03-16 06:47 PM
    I think he's talking about the Z10 as it has a removable battery.
    I know, I'm just letting him know that if he wants the DTEK50 to check out a teardown video because not all built in batteries are equal. Some are far easier to remove than others.
    08-03-16 09:03 PM
    My Z30 has a non-removable battery, and I rarely had to restart via battery pull. But when I do, I can km hit volume up and down for like 10 seconds and the oh one will reboot. That is (i'm told) the new battery pull. So for that, a removable battery isn't necessary.

As for the battery failing, I haven't owned a phone for more than 2 years since my Nokia 3310 lol. However, I would imagine that they last a lot longer than the days of old, and as another poster said, replacing shouldn't be too hard.
    08-04-16 01:34 AM
    With fast charging on DTEK50 it will mitigate the need for a swappable battery though I wish it was a feature.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-04-16 09:55 AM
    I used my Q10 extensively with two batteries swapping them often. After 2.5 years they showed about 80% health (Battery Guru) but I'm afraid those readings were too optimistic. Actual usage time reduced by at least 40% (I made some notes when batteries were fresh and could compare later). Even more: both batteries bulged, one just slightly, another one so much that it was difficult to put it in the phone. Why that happened remained a mystery as used only BB chargers and cables, didn't expose batteries to a heat, etc.
    That experience tells me a lot. I fixed my problem with a purchase of two new batteries on Ebay. I paid about $10 plus $5 shipping. I would certainly pay more should I need to replace "non swappable" battery. I wonder what could happen to my phone if built-in battery bulges. Not mentioning the convenience of swapping (yes, I know there are other opinions) vs recharging and/or carrying battery packs.
    In my work/life scenario swappable batteries remains important so I keep at least one phone (I carry two) with this feature.
    gebco likes this.
    08-04-16 05:30 PM
    Thanks, everyone, for your ideas and experiences. I am breathing a bit better! O-m-m-m-m..... A 45 second quick swap would be nice but I am putting less "weight" on that than I did before.
    08-05-16 04:07 PM
    I used to swear I would never get a phone without removable battery. Then I bought a Z30. Have not had a single issue. I remember my wife and others complaining about their iPhones though.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-05-16 04:28 PM
    Sealed in battery in Dtek50 is a big deal for me since I do keep my phones for a long time (over 3 years). I have swapped a dead(failed) battery for my Z10 and the Q10 very easily before too, so I would only get a phone with a removable battery, but it will be very hard to find in the future.
    08-29-16 07:52 PM
    LG is still doing it. And I believe some Asus Zen phones.
    08-29-16 09:00 PM