I've had my DTek for about four days and I will be sending it back. I think the blackberry continues to be timid in a market that rewards the bold. I like the form and weight of the DT50, but ultimately the battery is just a killer. I looses 3% within minutes of being in a full charge -- of course this could be a software bug, but it does make me feel like the phone does not have the capacity to keep up with me all day long, which is something BB used to tout.

The phone market is so crowded now with phones that can out spec the DTek that blackbery is smart to focus on software at this point. Lastly, I think the productivity boost by using the HUB and DTek is highly debatable when compared to regular ole Outlook app and Lookout Premium (Which is free with Tmobile).
    08-20-16 01:48 PM
    The battery is my major gripe with the Dtek as well. Sometimes it drains extremely fast without having anything running in the background. One time it didn't show the correct battery percentage, and the battery takes sooo f-ing long to charge it's ridiculous. I know it supports fast charge, but how come normal charging is way slower than usual? The battery seems to be unstable; displaying odd behaviour. Maybe mine has a defect, but even when it's behaving properly, the battery life simply does not cut it for me. Android seems to be getting more and more power hungry - or maybe it's the faster CPUs etc., or a combination, I don't know, but anything under 3000mAh seems to be insufficient. The Dtek could easily have been a little thicker with a higher capacity battery.

The Dtek will just keep me app-happy until the Rome/Mercury finally sees the light of day. Assuming, of course, that it actually comes with a decent sized battery.

Passport SQW100-1 OS 10.3.2.2876
    08-20-16 02:28 PM
    I too am often frustrated with the battery. Initially it was lasting a full day (or close to it). But not anymore. Wish there was an easier way to see what apps are open and force close them. Going into each and every app in the settings is difficult and time consuming.

Also, I think a quick charger should have been included, instead of a battery pack. I've started using the PlayBook charger and it works much better than the others I had laying around.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on DTek50
    08-20-16 05:40 PM
    I too am often frustrated with the battery. Initially it was lasting a full day (or close to it). But not anymore. Wish there was an easier way to see what apps are open and force close them. Going into each and every app in the settings is difficult and time consuming.

Also, I think a quick charger should have been included, instead of a battery pack. I've started using the PlayBook charger and it works much better than the others I had laying around.

Get the Aukey 3.0 Quick Charger from Amazon. It has two QC ports. Cheap too and Qualcomm logo
    08-20-16 06:52 PM
    Get the Aukey 3.0 Quick Charger from Amazon. It has two QC ports. Cheap too and Qualcomm logo
    Definitely need a proper Quick Charger with the DTEK50. Blackberry make one (RC1500) but it's a bit pricy, which might be why they didn't include one in the box (to keep the phones price down): ShopBlackBerry Online Store - RC1500 Rapid Travel Charger (USA/Canada)

The Aukey is a cheaper and compatible alternative and there are others, as long as they say Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0 certified.

I've got a QC 2.0 wall charger and car charger on it's way next week.
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-20-16 10:22 PM
    Er, click the Square button at the bottom of the screen, and close individual apps, or hit the 'Clear All' button?
    bbone99 likes this.
    08-21-16 08:45 PM
    Er, click the Square button at the bottom of the screen, and close individual apps, or hit the 'Clear All' button?
    Yes that "clears" them from the recent use list. But they are still open and using battery life in the background.

Yesterday I did an experiment. I went into Settings/apps and force closed every non-system app. Some apps like Google Play eventually reactivated themselves. I then went on a 7 hr road trip. I stopped a couple of times along the way and replied to some texts, BBM messages and take a look at Facebook (i use the chrome browser for that as I don't like the app and don't have it installed) , then promptly continued driving. At the end of the trip I still had 87% battery life left.

I am now more convinced than ever that these apps open in the background are what are leading to the poor battery life.

With the Z30 a person could hold the x when closing the app, and force it completely closed. With Android there is no such option that I've found yet.

Avenzuno and sidtek50 like this.
    08-21-16 10:53 PM
    Love the minimalistic design and love the fact that it will be possible to use certain apps again, but do not like the fact that it has no physical key board. Need to read more reviews about user experiences with this touch screen key board before I decide to buy the DTEK50.
    08-22-16 04:33 AM
    If you're in Canada the Priv is now $0 on 2 year contract! Is Rogers so far but telus and bell will match

08-22-16 06:32 PM
    I will be happy if I had one, jajajajaja...
    08-23-16 06:38 AM
    Time to step into the future. Ios/ android

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-23-16 07:55 AM
    Yes that "clears" them from the recent use list. But they are still open and using battery life in the background.
    Huh I thought it killed them - for example, if I clear something like Pokemon Go or Facebook from the recent apps list, the next time I launch it it definitely launches anew (chose those apps specifically because it's easy to tell when they're launching vs. simply being brought to the foreground again).
    08-23-16 09:25 PM
    Time to step into the future. Ios/ android

Or more like stepping back to the future compared to BB10. But it does appear that BlackBerry is pushing us that direction.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-16 09:41 PM
    Huh I thought it killed them - for example, if I clear something like Pokemon Go or Facebook from the recent apps list, the next time I launch it it definitely launches anew (chose those apps specifically because it's easy to tell when they're launching vs. simply being brought to the foreground again).
    I have neither of those apps. I found Facebook was too intrusive and data mined too much (yes I get the irony of having a Google product and being worried about data mining) so I use the Facebook website instead. It's what works for me. Facebook app is a perfect example though. Close it and don't use it for say 8 hrs then go into settings and see how it affected battery life and data use. You'll note it still sucked battery life and sent / received data. Force close it and that doesn't happen.

Last edited by CDM76; 08-24-16 at 07:18 AM.
    PygmySurfer likes this.
    08-23-16 11:25 PM
    I have stopped all the Google Apps: hangouts, text to speech, etc with much improved battery life. Turned off auto update apps as well. Battery hogs. Did this with my Priv too.

AAF959
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-23-16 11:34 PM
    My Passport started giving me poor battery life (from 2 days down to 6h) due to a high standby rate caused by an unknown app or process. I decided to give the DTEK50 a try and have been pleasantly surprised. The battery has been great so far. I easily get 20h and most days I put it back on the charger with 40-50% left after 18h. I have all radios on, 4 emails syncing, use a brightness level of 30% and have location services off for everything except Google maps, Pebble watch app and Android wear. No complaints when I've used the speaker phone.

I'm still getting used to Android (can't stop swiping) and miss some of the baked-in BB10 apps and granular notification. I don't like all the ads and invites on BBM. Not sure I like the month view in the calendar. And I miss scrolling with the Passport keyboard. But the keyboard and predictions are awesome (I used to have a Z10 and still have a Z30).

Overall, nice device to help me learn Android and tide me over til a more high-end device drops. Then again, this phone does meet my needs.

CDM76 and CerveloJohn like this.
    08-24-16 05:32 AM
    Love the DTEK. My Z30 is packed away.

For me, battery life is better than the Z30. For those experiencing lousy battery life, I suggest installing an app manager like Advanced App Manager to see how many apps are running in the background (you can't see these in the Recent pane). Killing these apps provides only temporary release as they will come back without you doing anything. You can help by uninstalling apps that you need only once in a blue moon. I chucked my sip phone app when I notice that it burns as much battery in the background as the screen!
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-24-16 08:32 AM
    The problem has been them over-pricing their products. BlackBerry no longer has a brand name or reputation along the lines of companies like Apple and Samsung. I think they are finally starting to accept that fact. I think the Priv's massive failure was a valuable lesson for them. They simply cannot get away with over-pricing a smartphone in today's market. Basically only Apple and Samsung get away with that sh!t now. With Apple being the worst of the worst of course. Mid range to mid to high end is where BlackBerry should stay. Preferably in the 300-500 USD price range, imho.

Well even Samsung isn't getting away with it anymore.

They have been resorting to promos non stop and from what I recall, barely making money anyway.

#dirtythirty #naturalsound #CB10 #glassweave
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-24-16 09:46 AM

For me, battery life is better than the Z30. For those experiencing lousy battery life, I suggest installing an app manager like Advanced App Manager to see how many apps are running in the background (you can't see these in the Recent pane). Killing these apps provides only temporary release as they will come back without you doing anything. You can help by uninstalling apps that you need only once in a blue moon. I chucked my sip phone app when I notice that it burns as much battery in the background as the screen!
    Oh very handy advice on advanced app Manager -thanks.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-24-16 11:21 AM
    Better? Are you blind?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Priv
    08-24-16 11:46 AM

Thanks for the advice. Just wondering if mean advanced task manager? Can't find advanced app manager in Play Store

08-24-16 11:21 PM
    I love the BB10 OS and the fact the it will run Android apps as well. Just can't get some apps mostly due to T-mobile's lack of willingness to give an update. If I give in to a dedicated Android, would the DTEK50 be a good compromise or would I be better served to (gasp) look elsewhere outside of the BB realm?
    09-13-16 08:13 PM
    Thanks for the advice. Just wondering if mean advanced task manager? Can't find advanced app manager in Play Store
    Had same experiences with Advanced Task Killer.
    Killing an app to release some MB's (low-end phone back then) and a few minutes later the list filled itself again.
    09-14-16 07:33 AM
    👍. Glad i got rid of my priv

9900�8910�z10�Q20�Z30�Passport�Priv�Dtek50�
    Last edited by mikedolo; 09-18-16 at 08:38 PM.
    09-14-16 07:59 AM
    Sold mine, couldn't get used to the poor battery life. Picked up the passport and absolutely loving it. Best phone I've ever had!

Posted via CB10
    10-22-16 08:40 AM
327 ... 11121314