Is it bright? That white led notification?

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 11:04 AM
    Thank you! Is the dtek slightly taller? Maybe its just the angle of the photo. Im hoping its slightly shorter. Either way, cant wait to get mine!
    Same, maybe some millimeters but really, similar.

Silly question but I have to ask...Is this a pre-production model? I'm noticing the bezel is aluminum with no black accents.
    140716 is noted as "date" so I believe this is what we"ll all get, at least for preorders. Not sure what you mean BTW probably a picture light/angle/problem.

-------------------------------------

ADD
    System popups slightly different from my Priv (no green, rougher icons on my Priv)

DTEK50 very first impressions (in hands)-screenshot_20160728-184738-1-.jpg

Checked the OS version : 6.01 / 3.10.84 / Build AAF818 (released version of the beta ?)

Picture password is nowhere to be seen too ... unless I miss something.
    Corbu likes this.
    07-28-16 11:54 AM
    Is it bright? That white led notification?

Posted via CB10
    Enough to be seen, nowhere close to those notifications with flash LED.
    07-28-16 12:02 PM
    Superfly_FR

Great review of sorts. Just a quick question, is the flash for the front camera a LED flash or just built in flash like snapchat? Also is the rear camera as quick to focus like the Priv camera? I hope it's no slow like the Passport 13 MP camera.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-28-16 12:11 PM
    Mind running some getprop stuff? If you need a terminal app, this one works: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...al.androidterm

ro.bootimage.build.fingerprint
    ro.boot.binfo.builtby
    ro.boot.binfo.hwid
    ro.boot.binfo.oem_tag
    ro.build.fingerprint
    ro.build.version.security_patch
    ro.product.publicname
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-28-16 12:19 PM
    I need good battery, or BlackBerry should release their apps to other devices. The only reason I stick is because of the hub, but I need good battery life. If Samsung can do it, they shouldn't have a problem doing it.

I would love to have a S7 with hub, and forget about their phony security message. Come on....who cares. It's fake and phony.

Well, let's take this point by point :

1. DTEK50 V.S S7
    Roughly the S7 is twice+ the price of the DTEK50 and I also wonder about their weight comparison.
    Let's just say we cannot compare. I don't have enough experience to report about battery life, especially since all I've done so far is settings and sync. Will be back in say 48 hours and try to report my usage and average battery life. Note : I do not expect miracles.

2. Security "fake and phony" (your words).
    It's not. While current implementation of Android M is still not on par with BB10, it's been strengthen on the security front.
    As a reminder, the most useful implementation is the "root of trust" witch is NOT an Android process but a underlying layer based on unique IDs injected into the chips and specific SW. (but we could go on with the kernel). This DO have a cost, therefore a price.
    edit : I believe this will come to fruition with Android N.
    Short [let's be trivial lol] : Did someone root successfully the Priv ? I don't think so.

3. Bottom line
    Get the pre-order offer before the 8/8, you'll grab a free external battery (12A), no threat.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-28-16 at 12:48 PM.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-28-16 12:19 PM
    I just want to know if this device allows you to mount the SD card for mass storage mode like the Priv?

Also I have the galaxy s7 right now but the signal is bad, battery is meh, and wifi is slow. My eyes also burn because of the oled screen. I wanted to know if it's even worth buying the DTEK. How much of a downgrade would it be

07-28-16 12:25 PM
    The back cover looks really nice.

Clicked and flicked with my Priv.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-28-16 12:26 PM
    I just want to know if this device allows you to mount the SD card for mass storage mode like the Priv?

Also I have the galaxy s7 right now but the signal is bad, battery is meh, and wifi is slow. My eyes also burn because of the oled screen. I wanted to know if it's even worth buying the DTEK. How much of a downgrade would it be

SD Card up to 2TB ... if you're able to find it lol. Swapped my SD from my PassportSE->PRIV->DTEK w/o any problem (64GB). And yes, it's a parameter (SD as internal) I saw in the settings as for the Priv.
    Sorry can't speak about the S7, I never had it in hands ...

-------------------

Note : I couldn't stop playing with parameters and had it sync apps/accounts while being plugged to my PlayBook charger, I didn't notice heat.

About the radios : At least it's on par with the Priv/Passport from where I am (my SOHO has a bad cell coverage) and the wifi seems to handle it right) but again, it's only perception for now and I have to sport it for a while before I can observe it seriously.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-28-16 at 02:11 PM.
    07-28-16 12:38 PM
    How are the speakers, similar to the Z30 or Priv?

Have you also had a chance to test call quality?
    07-28-16 01:27 PM
    Well, no pre-orders, no bundles, no Verizon model!

Great review (and I only wish my French (about three words) could come close to your English.)
    07-28-16 01:42 PM
    How are the speakers, similar to the Z30 or Priv?
    Have you also had a chance to test call quality?
    I've tested it (my ears, no science) against the PRIV on Deezer (best quality). The volume is a little more high (slightly) on PRIV but here's the deal : DTEK50 speakers have a special implementation (mentioned above) and if you're looking for bass sounds and depth, it's an easy winner.
    As for call quality, I found the cell reception very efficient and conversation was really clear (we have HD call sound here in France, not sure for other locations, probably too).

Great review (and I only wish my French (about three words) could come close to your English.)
    You guys have been so patient with my mhooo's for the past 5 years, I couldn't be more proud of my (supposed) improvements than reading this comment !
    Thanks !
    P.S: sorry for the V miss ...
    07-28-16 02:08 PM
    Looks nice, I pre-ordered one out of curiosity.

Superfly_FR and Solar 77 like this.
    07-28-16 02:22 PM
    First impression videos on YouTube:

Last edited by blckberry4life; 07-28-16 at 11:10 PM.
    Superfly_FR and nyplaya610 like this.
    07-28-16 02:25 PM
    Interesting! Thanks!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    07-28-16 02:34 PM
    Thank you for the initial impressions. Trying to get the wife to try out the new device over a different android.

I'm sticking with my PRIV as I can't do without physical keyboard and I love the app availability.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    07-28-16 02:37 PM
    Thanks for the hands on! For only $300, BB just might do better this round.
    07-28-16 02:45 PM
    I cant understand why no bb name on the front, i guess if there was it would just look like the priv on first glance
    07-28-16 02:50 PM
    Still prefer my priv lol

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Priv
    07-28-16 02:58 PM
    How's USB OTG? I tried working in a Dell Venue 8 7000 with Lollipop 5.1 into my workflow for posting photos while traveling and I found, at least with USB OTG + Solid Explorer + USB OTG plug-in, to be finicky. Mounting would work, then copy, but would fail after about 30-40 files with a notification that the device was disconnected, even though it wasn't. The Z30 was solid.
    07-28-16 03:09 PM
    This device the same size as the Z30? Or the Classic?

#whatisclassic
    07-28-16 03:14 PM
    I need good battery, or BlackBerry should release their apps to other devices. The only reason I stick is because of the hub, but I need good battery life. If Samsung can do it, they shouldn't have a problem doing it.

I would love to have a S7 with hub, and forget about their phony security message. Come on....who cares. It's fake and phony.

You can have a S7 with the hub. It takes about 5 minutes to install and set up

CDM76 likes this.
    07-28-16 03:26 PM
    This may bring me back completely to BB....trying to sell my PP to get this one!!
    Paraliotis3 likes this.
    07-28-16 03:26 PM
    How's USB OTG? I tried working in a Dell Venue 8 7000 with Lollipop 5.1 into my workflow for posting photos while traveling and I found, at least with USB OTG + Solid Explorer + USB OTG plug-in, to be finicky. Mounting would work, then copy, but would fail after about 30-40 files with a notification that the device was disconnected, even though it wasn't. The Z30 was solid.
    Will try to connect sone OTG later this week and keep you posted. Have to find back my adapter ... must say I didn't used it much ...

07-28-16 03:58 PM
    I cant understand why no bb name on the front, i guess if there was it would just look like the priv on first glance
    Asked BlackBerry rep. about it.
    Seems that the extra treatment (avoid greasy fingerprint on the screen) BlackBerry added over the screen is the reason for that. At least the only one I have.

CDM76 likes this.
    07-28-16 04:02 PM
351 1234 ...