The phone is good for the money. The thing that will help with selling it and getting people on it is updates. Fast security updates are one thing but it all comes down to fast os updates. If Blackberry can update to nougat fast they'll start to have buyers again of it takes 6-7 months they will have people move along quickly. Everybody wants the latest and greatest OS.
    big_time2 and blackmass like this.
    08-20-16 10:37 AM
    Definitely, but they've been slower than most with the Marshmallow update. They're on top of the security patches that's for sure but they're still a little behind on the OS version updates.
    big_time2 likes this.
    08-20-16 10:39 AM
    If Blackberry can update to nougat fast they'll start to have buyers again of it takes 6-7 months they will have people move along quickly.
    That's a good point. It would be a huge differentiator for them if they could publicly commit to 36 months of timely OS upgrades.
    big_time2 likes this.
    08-20-16 10:48 AM
    Security updates. Not operating system.
    big_time2 likes this.
    08-20-16 01:13 PM
    Uh, I don't know. That may only work for a few people who are on this forum. Very few average Joes out there even know what an update is.

I worked for T-Mobile for years and I can't even begin to count how many times I've had customers come in with certain issues and I'd look at their phones and they had a notification for software update from months ago. Your average person buying a smartphone doesn't even like app updates, let alone software updates which means having a phone restart and take 15 minutes to go through the process.
    Jrox74, Carmels, bbone99 and 1 others like this.
    08-20-16 01:17 PM
    Since dtek50 isn't out on carriers, most people that buy them are going to be tech savvy and looking for fast updates. It's one thing to release a good phone but totally another thing to release fast updates. People will here about Blackberry again if they can be a leader in releasing OS updates fast.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-21-16 01:49 AM
    I'm happy for BBerry to take their time with Nougat and get it as right as practicably possible. The Nougat updates that come later will be faster but I can understand that going from Marshmallow to Nougat may time a little more time, especially since they're a relatively new player to Android. So for me it's about being first with the security updates over the other manufacturers.
    Last edited by Em2016; 08-21-16 at 04:20 AM.
    08-21-16 02:08 AM
    Uh, I don't know. That may only work for a few people who are on this forum. Very few average Joes out there even know what an update is.

I worked for T-Mobile for years and I can't even begin to count how many times I've had customers come in with certain issues and I'd look at their phones and they had a notification for software update from months ago. Your average person buying a smartphone doesn't even like app updates, let alone software updates which means having a phone restart and take 15 minutes to go through the process.
    It depends on the type of people that own this phone, obviously. Is there already an idea of how they will be? If they are like the typical android or iphone owner, you are probably right. But I wouldn't be that sure, this is not your typical android phone, I would wait for some statistics.

Anyways, I do not mind waiting a bit (not too much, though) longer for updates if they are well thought. Particularly on a phone that can not be rooted, therefore there are no other sources of ROM improvement...
    RumoredNow and big_time2 like this.
    08-21-16 09:38 AM
    Security updates. Not operating system.
    I'm not saying stop the security patches. They've already committed publicly to that. But when you look at the Android landscape there are so few that actually get a version bump on the OS and consumers (sadly) care about that way more than security.

Sure the mindset is backwards. Security and privacy should be a priority, they simply aren't for most consumers. There is an opportunity for BlackBerry to win users with OS upgrade paths that are clearly spelled out.
    08-21-16 10:43 AM
    One thing that has to be remembered here is that BlackBerry is not running the generic Android system. With it's tweeks and BlackBerry software additions it takes a bit more time to get everything working together. I would rather see it take a little longer and come out right to avoid the problems of BB10. All new OS have some bugs but it is better to send it out right so people have a good experience than a bad one. Rocking 24-7 with my Passport SE & Semi Retired Z10
    08-21-16 08:49 PM
    The phone is good for the money. The thing that will help with selling it and getting people on it is updates. Fast security updates are one thing but it all comes down to fast os updates. If Blackberry can update to nougat fast they'll start to have buyers again of it takes 6-7 months they will have people move along quickly. Everybody wants the latest and greatest OS.
    They could put vanilla Nougat on the devices in no time at all.

BlackBerry hardened Nougat is something else entirely.

They need at least an extra 4 months to perform their magic.

Current estimates are for around the new year. Same delay as Marshmallow.
    08-21-16 08:53 PM
    What's the battery usage like compared to Z10? The last Android version I tried was 4.3 regarding battery life and it was so-so.
    08-22-16 06:27 AM
    this is what Google made with Nexus 5 - it was released with Android 4.4.4 and got Lollipop in a few weeks. And N5 was one of the most successful Google phones.
    08-22-16 09:08 AM
    What's the battery usage like compared to Z10? The last Android version I tried was 4.3 regarding battery life and it was so-so.
    Arbitrary measures like this are very subjective. Some people report that their Z10 easily get through the entire day, and others report it only lasts a few hours.
    08-22-16 09:12 AM
    I hear you. They had a great chance of selling the dtek50. They just shorted the customer with a crappy battery instead of the usual crappy camera. Always shorting the customer in some way
    big_time2 likes this.
    08-22-16 09:46 AM
    I hear you. They had a great chance of selling the dtek50. They just shorted the customer with a crappy battery instead of the usual crappy camera. Always shorting the customer in some way
    It depends on your priorities. Most people want the thinnest, lightest phone possible that would still get them through the day with medium use.

Warriors tend to have chargers and power packs available anyway.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-22-16 09:49 AM
    You must be kidding. Name one phone that doesn't have any weak point. Even flagships aren't perfect mostly and we are talking about device that costs half of that. Battery is good if you're not playing games all day. 4-5h SoT through all day is a solid result, nothing to be ashamed of.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-22-16 10:08 AM
    It shouldn't take 4 months to get nougat released from when they release it. Blackberry has had their hands on nougat code for 4 months already it should be close to ready to go once nougat is released. Google wants manufacturers to release updates quickly that's why they announced and released the nougat code in April.
    08-22-16 10:20 AM
    It shouldn't take 4 months to get nougat released from when they release it.
    [Citation needed]

So BlackBerry is just holding it back for fun?

They announced their special project with Google last month to harden Nougat, and said it would take 4-6 months to complete.
    08-22-16 10:27 AM
    Arbitrary measures like this are very subjective. Some people report that their Z10 easily get through the entire day, and others report it only lasts a few hours.
    Aye, true on that, my bad. Probably more due to battery capacity, not really sure if the Android 5/6 got more efficient, but I guess so. Anyhow I'm hoping that providers will pick this one. I mean, there is no reason not to, especially if they already have the Alcatel phone in their offers with similar specs.
    08-22-16 05:31 PM
    Im just used to the crappy blackberry cameras and great battery life. the dtek is opposite(decent cameras ok battery life) All im saying is if they bumped the battery up . The dtek50 would have been the perfcet phone to me. I still luv the phone .
    08-24-16 01:34 PM
    whether the existing global ROM
    08-25-16 03:39 AM