I tried the Priv and just didn't like it. Too big and cumbersome. DTEK is just the right size and will fulfill my needs just fine. I love BB features and I like the RIM group so I am happy to support them in this endeavor.
    I feel the exact same way!!
    07-27-16 08:59 PM
    Upcoming EPP: $320+tax.
    I'll take one too!! Lol
    07-27-16 09:01 PM
    When it was 299 I was all into this phone, the fact it came with a battery charger was worrisome (odd) ? but welcome... Except I just bought two to play Pokemon Go with on my PRIV.

I went to the order screen and realized it was american $ so went to Canadian site, I would still be in at 350... But at 429? How is it 130 dollars extra? Even the exchange rate isn't that bad.

I hate my PRIV... but was hoping something new and shiny would be fun to use for a bit and hopefully have working GPS unlike my PRIV.

As stated below you all convinced me to order.. Free shipping to the middle of nowhere Yukon Canada was the deciding factor..
    What kind of question is this ? Seriously ? You live in Canada. Is iPhone or Samsung or nexus phone priced the same as in USA ?

Why do you hate priv anyways. Strange post
    07-28-16 06:18 AM
    My comment was to the person who claimed the priv on a 2yr contract, was nearly as cheap as the dtek50. At Rogers on a 2 yr contract, the Priv is $399 and the dtek50, while not yet available, will be close to $0. Which is cheaper?

In the end the price is the same. You can either buy the phone at full price on day one or you can buy it over time at hopefully not more than the full retail price on a carrier contract.
    07-28-16 01:39 PM
    I cant imagine this phone selling better than the idol 4. And I can't see that selling to good either. I hope I like it. Wish it would ship already, . As a priv user not sure I will like this new android or not, hardware isn't going to be an upgrade but sometimes a redesigned package can be fun.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-28-16 02:24 PM
    I think I hate the priv because it was the first android and it was flawed. It creaks and doesn't feel solid. I don't the curved edge, not sure the advantage but it is annoying when playing games or watching movies sideways as it bends the image.

I also found that my sons? 300 zphone ran android better without heating up.

07-28-16 02:26 PM
    i was surprised at the price difference as well, but then i remembered there is always a huge price difference for stuff in canada.

good thing i live close to the border and can easily pop over to pick stuff up... but to save 34 bucks? i would just have it sent to my door.
    For a Canadian company the price should be CAD299.00. It would sell like pancakes and maple syrup in the spring.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    07-28-16 03:20 PM
    For a Canadian company the price should be CAD299.00. It would sell like pancakes and maple syrup in the spring.

Or like a nice cold beer on a hot day eh?

qwerty4ever likes this.
    07-28-16 05:12 PM

299 is way too low, there's no way BlackBerry can turn a profit for this hardware at that price. Even the G4 goes for 360. 399 is a sweet spot. Under 300 is almost Snapdragon 400 territory.
    07-28-16 09:52 PM
    With today's exchange rate, the phone would be $395 CAD. So we are talking about a $34 difference. Not so bad, as a fellow Canadian, I recognize that we usually get hosed on electronics to some degree.
    07-29-16 12:24 AM
    If I hadn't just purchased a Priv, I'd be snapping this device up right away. Price point and early reviews make it very attractive. Let's hope it sells really well.

07-29-16 12:26 AM
    If I hadn't just purchased a Priv, I'd be snapping this device up right away. Price point and early reviews make it very attractive. Let's hope it sells really well.

Same here.
    07-29-16 01:43 AM
    Good luck with them updates

08-07-16 08:36 PM
    Can I ask why you bothered to stay with a BB device? Loyalty? At least the Priv had the keyboard but is there a reason you weren't considering other touchscreen semi-pure android competitors (Nexus, Asus, Oneplus,etc.)? Just trying to understand who is buying these devices and why because honestly I can't figure it out.

I mean we get screwed up here all over the place but its mostly due to exchange rates. I picked up a Oneplus 3 while I wait for BB to get their head on straight and release a fixed keyboard android phone.
    I considered all those phones you mentioned, as I really wanted as pure an android experience as possible (I couldn't stand the short time I had with Samsung S4 and my android tablet), but a few things got to me, I didn't like the stock android keyboard, no sd card in Oneplus and I think Nexus for starters.

Just when I thought all was lost BlackBerry goes and announces this phone, and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought this would be the best phone to transition me into android from bb10 with the BlackBerry productivity suite and keyboard. I may not stick with BlackBerry in the future if I catch on to android, but I guess we'll see when I get sick of the DTEK
    08-07-16 11:24 PM
    For a Canadian company the price should be CAD299.00. It would sell like pancakes and maple syrup in the spring. BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    CAD299 for the DTEK50 will surely be welcomed by Canadians. Realistically, CAD429 sounds about right, DTEK50's major competitors like Moto G4 Plus is selling for CAD400, generally CAD400 appears to be the mid-range price for a major brand.
    08-07-16 11:49 PM
    G4 Plus comes with a finger print sensor as well as a 16mp camera, DTEK 50 is more like G4 13mp with no finger print sensor
    G4 is not available in Canada, but its only 199 USD
    Even the G4 Plus is 249 USD lol
    08-08-16 12:20 AM
    Good luck with them updates

dtek50 would get regular monthly updates compare to his bro idol 4 or other mid range handset.
    08-08-16 12:22 AM
    Have you seen any info from CDN carriers on when they will release info on this device or maybe when we can pre order from them?
    Word is Wind will carry the DTEK50 on August 19th. I'm sure other Canadian carriers will be sooner.

08-08-16 07:58 AM

You forgot bac bacon.

08-08-16 08:03 AM

And BlackBerry will be selling it at a loss, goodbye HW division forever.

08-08-16 08:04 AM
    I cant imagine this phone selling better than the idol 4. And I can't see that selling to good either. I hope I like it. Wish it would ship already, . As a priv user not sure I will like this new android or not, hardware isn't going to be an upgrade but sometimes a redesigned package can be fun.

the phone has actually better initial reviews than priv and it is also way more cheaper than priv plus blackberry hub and other blackberry software is much better than a year ago when priv was released.
    09-04-16 06:29 AM
    299 is way too low, there's no way BlackBerry can turn a profit for this hardware at that price. Even the G4 goes for 360. 399 is a sweet spot. Under 300 is almost Snapdragon 400 territory.
    I agree. just go to staples and see what what smart phone you can get for $299. nothing comparable in quality. not even close. some crap acer phones with horrible specs. DTEK price is right. if I did not have priv I would buy it in instant.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    09-04-16 06:31 AM
    And BlackBerry will be selling it at a loss, goodbye HW division forever.

Totally agree with this ^^^

Posted via CB10
    09-04-16 07:29 AM
    Yup, it's priced right. Any lower and they're not going to survive in hardware

Posted via CB10
    09-04-16 07:59 AM
    IIRC the Idol 4 also sells for $400 CDN.

2 years is not a big deal for most people.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    We complained that 3 years was too long so they dropped it down to 2 years and now we're stuck with $70-90/mo plans rather than $50/mo for 3 years. Being a Canadian sucks considering cell, Internet and TV.
    09-04-16 10:10 AM
81 1234