Why do I want a PKB that I don't use? If the PKB was more like the classic or Q10 then I would have use for it, but as it is it's just not something I like on the Priv. For me it's miserable to type on. I'm partial to touchscreen typing anyway and having a PKB that I don't use doesn't make much sense to me.

You find it hard to comprehend that someone would want to replace their Priv with a DTEK? You need to speak with a lot of people in here then because that's what many have done.
    But you tried to replace the Priv with a lower spec phone and then stated what we already know, Priv is better than Dtek. If you wanted to replace your Priv with another BlackBerry android why not wait for the high end model to do so?

I have a Priv for my personal and a dtek for my work phone, both have advantages but the Priv is better.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by playbookster; 08-29-16 at 12:37 PM.
    08-29-16 10:05 AM
    I don't own a Dtek yet, so please take this comment in the right context. It is a $299 phone that has modest specs and I feel that it is just the phone that Blackberry needed to make to get back in the game. The Priv was way overpriced and wasn't on par with the other big boys. The Dtek seems like a perfect fit for the customer who wants a good phone without breaking the bank.

At $299 I am sure it is far from perfect, but I passionately want Blackberry to succeed and I think that this is a good move by them and will be ordering mine soon.
    auditman and Person421 like this.
    08-29-16 10:07 AM
    I bought the DTEK50 a couple of days back. For its price I consider it the best value for money that we could find right now in the market of smartphones. For those that have always used BlackBerry like myself but envied IOS and Android users because of the infinite number of apps, this is the perfect response. It works flawlessly, has the HUB (essential for my day to day communications) the awesome BlackBerry keyboard and so far I couldn't ask for more. Due to it's low end specs it's not a gamer instrument. But on the other hand BlackBerry never was. So far I am very happy. I was thinking of purchasing this one on a temporary basis but I am now thinking this will become a permanent choice (for what is the meaning of the word "permanent" nowadays for a mobile phone).
    RobertP1, CDM76, auditman and 1 others like this.
    08-29-16 11:18 AM
    Well it might be a fine phone for most. I'm going to send mine back. It's been restarting during calls. It first happened Friday. Today it did it 4 times in less than an hour trying to talk. Done! Never had these problems with my Z30.
    08-29-16 12:43 PM
    Then you have a dud. BlackBerry will send you a new one

CDM76, RobertP1, auditman and 2 others like this.
    08-29-16 03:08 PM
    Had my DTEK50 about 2 weeks and haven't had a single problem with it screen is great and battery is absolutely fine. You have to be realistic about $299 phones of course they won't have the same specs of a phone that costs double that. For me the phone is good value for money with a very thin and light design that does everything I need it to.
    08-29-16 03:45 PM
    I live and work in China, where iPhones are the status symbol of phones. Ha... till the day I started using BlackBerry . I started of with the Z30 then progresses to the Passport, Classic, PRIV. And now the Dtek50.
    I truly believe that BlackBerry has hit the nail on the head with this device, small, light with a great OS using blackberries old tricks. I have had my phone for three weeks now , and find it more difficult to choose between using the priv or dtek50. As for battery life, yes, it is not as great as the priv. But have found that with time it gets better. I will in no way let the battery life influence my decision on claiming that this is a great device. The more you use it, the more tricks you discover, and have found it to be a daily companion for work in my life, well done BlackBerry. Now let's hope the next device will knock our shoes off.

Sent from my STH100-2 using CB Forums mobile app
    08-30-16 12:17 AM
    I live and work in China, where iPhones are the status symbol of phones. Ha... till the day I started using BlackBerry . I started of with the Z30 then progresses to the Passport, Classic, PRIV. And now the Dtek50.
    I truly believe that BlackBerry has hit the nail on the head with this device, small, light with a great OS using blackberries old tricks. I have had my phone for three weeks now , and find it more difficult to choose between using the priv or dtek50. As for battery life, yes, it is not as great as the priv. But have found that with time it gets better. I will in no way let the battery life influence my decision on claiming that this is a great device. The more you use it, the more tricks you discover, and have found it to be a daily companion for work in my life, well done BlackBerry. Now let's hope the next device will knock our shoes off.

Cheers!! I am sure PowerSkin will come up with a battery case for the dtek50 soon.

08-30-16 12:33 AM
    As I read through the forums...all I'm seeing are nothing but complaints about the new DTEK50. I almost bought one Friday until I saw all the comments about awful battery life. That is very important to me and I guess a lot of folks on CB. I'm just wondered if that might be solved by a software update since the device just came out

Posted via CB10
    Long story short : I had to give it back (was a loan) and use my Priv now. Miss it "emotionally" (i.e don't ask for tech & specs); it's been a while I didn't have "affect" towards a device. DTEK50 has this "simple yet efficient" feel, the one we had with our Curves. Weight and thinness also very appreciated.
    High grade lovers and tech geeks won't agree and I do understand why; I'm just sharing my overall and personal opinion here, after 3 weeks of constant (but medium) usage.
    auditman and HighFlight88 like this.
    08-30-16 06:35 AM
    I understand you completely. And I like that analog; "Simple, yet efficient", it sort of sums it up.

Long story short : I had to give it back (was a loan) and use my Priv now. Miss it "emotionally" (i.e don't ask for tech & specs); it's been a while I didn't have "affect" towards a device. DTEK50 has this "simple yet efficient" feel, the one we had with our Curves. Weight and thinness also very appreciated.
    High grade lovers and tech geeks won't agree and I do understand why; I'm just sharing my overall and personal opinion here, after 3 weeks of constant (but medium) usage.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    08-30-16 06:57 AM
    The expectation game is the problem.. The Dtek is competing against the Moto G+ and other phones like that. It is not meant to be compared to the almost $1000 Note 7 or the similarly priced Iphone. Blackberry doesn't have a phone to compete against those right now. They are just trying to keep the lights on! Any Blackberry fan should buy the Dtek and support BB and hope it does well and they can come out with more higher end phones in the future.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    08-30-16 08:39 AM
    But you tried to replace the Priv with a lower spec phone and then stated what we already know, Priv is better than Dtek. If you wanted to replace your Priv with another BlackBerry android why not wait for the high end model to do so?

I have a Priv for my personal and a dtek for my work phone, both have advantages but the Priv is better.

Well for one the "higher end" model is only a rumor and there is nothing pointing to Blackberry releasing any type of high end Android Touchscreen device. Secondly, performance isn't the issue. I find that the DTEK works fine as a daily phone for work, but the battery, which I thought would at least be able to last a work day, cannot.
    08-30-16 08:51 AM
    Come on guys. This is a communications device...light versatile quick and responsive.... Stop complaining about the battery.. It does improve.. use your battery settings. It does everything a high end device twice the price does if not better, specially if you know the blackberry eco system. Unless you a Doctor in Mechanical engineering and need to use it for complicated equations by all means go for a higher end device.... Even though my trusty Dtek50 does exactly the same... I am proud to say that I am a Dtek50 lover, even though my PRIV might think I am cheating on her.

08-30-16 10:06 AM
    I understand you completely. And I like that analog; "Simple, yet efficient", it sort of sums it up.
    To me, that's a great match with Android. Another sensation, in line with the device thinness & lightweight.
    (must say I'm still a BB10 broken heart)
    pepperedbutler1 likes this.
    08-30-16 11:21 AM
    One thing I'd like to figure out is that when I have BB Hub enabled my text messages vibrates twice, when I turn off vibrate in the text app it doesn't vibrate at all- when I disable BB Hub, it vibrates once, seems to me the device gets the notification twice and vibrates twice when both the Hub is enabled and the text app has vibration on (even when removing text messages from the Hub list), I can't seem to find notification options in the Hub. Hopefully the Hub gets fine tuned to fix little things like this, but for now i have the Hub disabled.
    08-30-16 11:50 AM
    Come on guys. This is a communications device...light versatile quick and responsive.... Stop complaining about the battery.. It does improve.. use your battery settings. It does everything a high end device twice the price does if not better, specially if you know the blackberry eco system. Unless you a Doctor in Mechanical engineering and need to use it for complicated equations by all means go for a higher end device.... Even though my trusty Dtek50 does exactly the same... I am proud to say that I am a Dtek50 lover, even though my PRIV might think I am cheating on her.

Actually, the elephant in the room is the life expectancy of the battery. Having seen this myself with my iPhone 6 Plus, charging too often a phone like the DTEK50 or Priv will result in a dead battery within two years, because a battery has only so many charging cycles in its life. That's why I had opted for the Q10 as my BB10 bomb shelter device. I will pay close attention to Argon and Rome/Mercury. Right now, the Priv with its bigger battery is not a great value for me, though I do pay attention to everyone's frustrations about battery life between charges in the BlackBerry Android phones, and the DTEK50 in particular.

Posted via CB10 | BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-2 on VZW
    08-30-16 01:55 PM
    I just sold my iPhone and am waiting for the new one in September. Meanwhile I am using the DTEK and I am really surprised how quick and responsive the device is. Also the BlackBerry adaption of Android made it easy to go droid.
    Yet the Passport remains the best device ever.
    But I am looking forward to checking out the Mercury in Feb.
    Too bad it does not sport the Passport keyboard.

08-30-16 05:43 PM
    This DTEK50 so far even though it is an android phone which I will admit had me worried to use. With me being an OS 10 fan.... with this phone with BlackBerry features and now that my Rubber case came in with glass screen protection, man it's feels even better in the hands now and I'm really really liking this more each day ,it sadly reminds me of that heavy Z30 only in thinner and lighter form with a different OS running. I gotta say BlackBerry did a good job on this device I know a lot will disagree but coming from a long time always purchasing the new Blackberry 10 devices they got me hooked with this DTEK50... yeah maybe they could have dropped the price a bit, added the colourized notifications. maybe a few more things ,But for me I've just added some BlackBerry sound notifications and assigned them to my usual contacts, seems to be working out so far for me..
    So it's a BIG LIKE for me.

Posted via DTEK50
    CDM76, pepperedbutler1 and rcab like this.
    08-30-16 05:53 PM
    I'm getting more excited about mine the more I read about it - and there are a lot of good Youtube videos. Seems like a decent amount of enthusiasm! Supposed to arrive tomorrow - at least I have a new avatar in place!
    CDM76 and RobertP1 like this.
    08-30-16 06:34 PM
    I am traveling for the next couple weeks and didn't want to "break-in" a new phone when I am out of the country. I can't wait to get my Dtek. Hopefully within the next two weeks
    08-30-16 08:04 PM
    Again today at work I am getting a lot of attention with the Dtek50, already two of my colleagues have ordered the Dtek50, looks like our office will be filled with blackberries again!!!

CerveloJohn and RobertP1 like this.
    08-31-16 10:28 AM
    Again today at work I am getting a lot of attention with the Dtek50, already two of my colleagues have ordered the Dtek50, looks like our office will be filled with blackberries again!!!

I'll have about a dozen on my street alone. If only I got a commission.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-31-16 10:42 AM
    great- android with the battery life of a z10. google alone was enough to keep me away, but makes the DTEK even less viable. The wife just through in the towel on the z10, primarily due to battery life. She's back to the fire phone for the time being.
    08-31-16 11:19 AM
    You definitively can't compare DTEK50 battery life with the Z10.
    Let's be real: it's not a Z30 or a Passport but still comparable with the Priv. Again - and I'm not sure why - battery life settles after 4 or 5 days and you'll be fine for 10+ hours with medium usage.

Last edited by Superfly_FR; 08-31-16 at 06:51 PM.
    CerveloJohn, CDM76 and RobertP1 like this.
    08-31-16 11:57 AM
    I sold my priv and got a Dtek50. Best phone investment I've ever made by selling. It was an overpriced phone. Really should of been a mid range phone. Same thing just missing a keyboard which I never used.

RobertP1 likes this.
    08-31-16 12:09 PM
388 ... 678910 ...