I have very little data in my plan since I am most of the time in a wifi area. However I notice data out of my plan disappearing little at a time even in a stable wifi are. Mostly just small chunks between 4 and 50 KB, but maybe 20 times a day. So far I was not able to identify the responsible app.
    I guess most people don't notice such behavior since it only amounts to about 40MB a month, however I only have 100MB available.
    Does anybody know how I could isolate this app responsible for it?
    04-10-17 02:42 PM
    If you are using WiFi most of the time then how about just switching your mobile data off
    kurhaus and big_time2 like this.
    04-10-17 03:05 PM
    If you are using WiFi most of the time then how about just switching your mobile data off
    Then the phone won't work!

BlackBerry Since 2006. SE/Priv/DTEK50
    big_time2 likes this.
    04-13-17 08:28 AM
    Then the phone won't work!

BlackBerry Since 2006. SE/Priv/DTEK50
    Why that?
    04-13-17 12:54 PM
    Why that?
    As in, you can't get text messages and phone calls? Unless your phone comes with wi-fi calling or you're using a messaging app to talk to people, you can't get sms/phone calls unless data is turned on.
    04-14-17 07:04 AM
    My calls and SMS work over 2G network, and GSM doesn't requiere any data connection for that. That's how it works in Germany.
    04-14-17 07:10 AM
    Unless your phone comes with wi-fi calling or you're using a messaging app to talk to people, you can't get sms/phone calls unless data is turned on.
    You CAN get calls/text WITHOUT mobile data turned on. Leave mobile data OFF and turn on WiFi and you'll get your calls/texts as normal.
    kurhaus likes this.
    04-14-17 07:15 AM
    You CAN get calls/text WITHOUT mobile data turned on. Leave mobile data OFF and turn on WiFi and you'll get your calls/texts as normal.
    You're right, I stand corrected.

I just tested and it worked. I was under the impression when turning "Cellular Data" off was same as taking the SIM card out. Now I feel like a fckuing id1ot because that is what I did several times I left the country. I turned data off and used wi-fi.
    kurhaus likes this.
    04-14-17 07:19 AM
    I have very little data in my plan since I am most of the time in a wifi area. However I notice data out of my plan disappearing little at a time even in a stable wifi are. Mostly just small chunks between 4 and 50 KB, but maybe 20 times a day. So far I was not able to identify the responsible app.
    I guess most people don't notice such behavior since it only amounts to about 40MB a month, however I only have 100MB available.
    Does anybody know how I could isolate this app responsible for it?
    Try installing a firewall. There are several no-root firewalls in the Play Store. With a firewall, you can leave data turned on (which is required for MMS messaging) and select which apps are permitted to use cellular data and/or WiFi. You will still get a tiny bit of data usage, but it will be minimal.
    04-14-17 09:09 AM
    Thanks Shuswap, I am going to try that. I never had this problem with my previous Z10 phone. There shouldn't be any reason for any app to connect in the background through data when in a wifi zone.
    04-14-17 10:18 AM
    Thanks Shuswap, I am going to try that. I never had this problem with my previous Z10 phone. There shouldn't be any reason for any app to connect in the background through data when in a wifi zone.
    You're right. There shouldn't be. Even with the firewall on an Android phone without root will use a little data. I'm not sure what causes that.

There's a long thread on redflagdeals.com that discusses this issue: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/know...ll-2053777/27/
    04-14-17 01:17 PM