I had an iPhone SE and I moved to the DTEK50 because I was desperate to see Blackberry return with a strong handset. I think moving to android is absolutely the right move - I think it crushes BB10... However...

Battery life. I'm charging my DTEK50 2-4 times a day. Granted I'm a heavy user (I don't play games, only emails, calls & texts). My iPhone SE was incredible. It could get me through a day and still have around 25-35% left. My DTEK50, not so much. I can be watching a YouTube video, texting etc and my battery is constantly dropping whereas my iPhone was much more conservative during videos.

Perhaps it's the large screen. Perhaps it's android. But the screen on-time on the DTEK50 doesn't suit my needs. I hate to admit it because the OS is good. I like it. I love that the security updates are going to be regular. What I can't get used to, is taking 2-3 breaks in my day just to keep my phone going. Sadly, I'm going to have to sell it on.

Anyone else getting shut of their DTEK50 because of battery life?
    08-20-16 02:16 PM
    Interesting. I too find Android to be power hungry when used. What sort of emails? Meaning, is it EAS or IMAP?
    08-20-16 02:34 PM
    Gotta start disabling stuff from running in the background.

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    08-20-16 02:37 PM
    Gotta start disabling stuff from running in the background.

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    This is the biggest thing that new users to Android miss. Many (if not all apps) continue running in the background even after you've exited them. Got to control the background processes.

With that said though, as soon as battery specs came out for the DTEK50, I knew I wouldn't even consider it. Why do you think BlackBerry was offering the powerbank bundle? It wasn't to be nice, lol. They new battery life was going to be terrible, believe me. Saw it coming from a mile away.
    bruce73 likes this.
    08-20-16 02:41 PM
    I use IMAP but only have it set to run every hour. I think Android itself is just a huge battery hog. I think BB would have been better having a smaller screen like the iPhone SE. It's a shame that Blackberry have released the phone knowing that the battery was a weak point.

EDIT: I'm not new to android i've owned several android phones. I know android isn't kind on battery, but the DTEK50 has particularly bad battery life. I am aware of closing all apps that continue running in the background.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-20-16 02:44 PM
    I have the same issues with the battery life, even with the screen brightness turned down to about 25% and nothing running in the background except auto sync.
    And, I have another major gripe with the battery: For some reason it takes forever to charge (unless the phone is turned off)! I know it supports fast charge, but I'm not getting another charger just for that phone. My Passport is fully charged in less than half the time and it has a bigger battery. Makes no sense.
    I'm just keeping it until the Rome/Mercury is finally released.

Passport SQW100-1 OS 10.3.2.2876
    sidtek50 likes this.
    08-20-16 02:44 PM
    I have the same issues with the battery life.
    And, I have another major gripe with the battery: For some reason it takes forever to charge (unless the phone is turned off)! I know it supports fast charge, but I'm not getting another charger just for that phone. My Passport is fully charged in less than half the time and it has a bigger battery. Makes no sense.

Glad it's not just me! I've not used a passport, but if the passport has better battery life, I too think you'd be better off staying with it for the time being. My DTEK50 takes a while to charge too. The battery seems to be the weakest part of the device, everything else is fine.
    Barbareren likes this.
    08-20-16 02:50 PM
    Ok just updated thread title, and stuck it. Anyone else considering, post here, don't start new thread

Ta.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-20-16 02:55 PM
    The charger out of the box is not a "quick charge" certified. A great one on Amazon is 10-11 dollars. We have had no issues charging ours as quickly as our BlackBerry 10 using Classic, Z30 and Passport chargers. We are getting a full day battery usage out of my wife's DTEK50. At 11 last night she had 20 percent left. That was with all her/ our emails coming in (we get 1500/week on average with our appraisal company), messaging, calls and on 3 or so SOT. Now that it is configured it is similar to her Z30. She did notice the NFC was turned on as well. She turned that off this AM. Once set up, updates take place and things settles it is easily getting her through the day. She's happy with it. (and I am asking repeatedly as I am considering one or the PRIV myself) Her battery seems to be in line with that of my Classic, which is more than acceptable to me.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    Edrian Villa likes this.
    08-20-16 02:57 PM
    This is the biggest thing that new users to Android miss. Many (if not all apps) continue running in the background even after you've exited them. Got to control the background processes.

With that said though, as soon as battery specs came out for the DTEK50, I knew I wouldn't even consider it. Why do you think BlackBerry was offering the powerbank bundle? It wasn't to be nice, lol. They new battery life was going to be terrible, believe me. Saw it coming from a mile away.
    Yet you do not own one. The combination of the 617 and specs is getting us through a full day. The battery bundle is an awesome addition as was put to use on a recent camping trip for several devices. If one wants a secure full touch device at a reasonable price this is good value. The speakers are the best I have ever heard on a mobile device including my Passport and former Z30.

mike kootnikoff likes this.
    08-20-16 03:11 PM
    Outside CrackBerry, there more people criticizing the DTEK50 than praising it. Their criticisms may have merits and the basis for returning the DTEK50.

1) Built quality
    Hardware quality of the DTEK50 is no better, if not the same as a Blu or Unnecto phone. BlackBerry should have paid more money and contracted Samsung or LG to make the DTEK50 like Google does with Nexus previously.

2) Android UI
    BlackBerry's Android UI for the DTEK50 is lacking in features (like not displaying if it is fast charging/regular charging, time left for charging, and lots more). BlackBerry has been successful in creating a reputation for security and the BlackBerry suite of apps, but they are lacking in the Android UI. BlackBerry should perhaps create an image for themselves with an UI much like Samsung does with TouchWiz, Sony with Xperia, LG with LG UX, etc. In that BlackBerry branded UI, the UI needs to do things that the Android Stock UI does not, such as one swipe down the notification area to turn on/off wi-fi which is available in Samsung, LG, etc phones (Stock Android needs two swipe down the notification area to turn on/off wi-fi).

3) Inferior Accessories
    The charger and accessories that comes in the DTEK50 box looked like they were from the dollar store. It is so bad that BlackBerry does not put their name on the charger.
    melander and Q10Bold like this.
    08-20-16 03:25 PM
    I'm extremely surprised you're getting through a full day on one single charge, especially reading 300 emails per day (based on a 5 day week). Just pulling that many emails in should be using a fair bit of power. And then you've got the screen-on time only lasting approx 4-5 hours. As Plazmic said, the fact they released a powerpack wasn't a great sign (but at the time of ordering, I just thought: oooh shiny!)
    bruce73 likes this.
    08-20-16 03:28 PM
    The speakers are the best I have ever heard on a mobile device including my Passport and former Z30.
    I disagree. The Passport's speakers are far better from my experience owning both.

I also strongly disagree about BlackBerry adopting Samsung's stupid, laggy, cluttered UI. I like the BlackBerry Android UI as it is - basic Android with minor improvements. Adding a whole new layer on top of Android has always annoyed me.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    abathia likes this.
    08-20-16 03:44 PM
    Outside CrackBerry, there more people criticizing the DTEK50 than praising it. Their criticisms may have merits and the basis for returning the DTEK50.

1) Built quality
    Hardware quality of the DTEK50 is no better, if not the same as a Blu or Unnecto phone. BlackBerry should have paid more money and contracted Samsung or LG to make the DTEK50 like Google does with Nexus previously.

2) Android UI
    BlackBerry's Android UI for the DTEK50 is lacking in features (like not displaying if it is fast charging/regular charging, time left for charging, and lots more). BlackBerry has been successful in creating a reputation for security and the BlackBerry suite of apps, but they are lacking in the Android UI. BlackBerry should perhaps create an image for themselves with an UI much like Samsung does with TouchWiz, Sony with Xperia, LG with LG UX, etc. In that BlackBerry branded UI, the UI needs to do things that the Android Stock UI does not, such as one swipe down the notification area to turn on/off wi-fi which is available in Samsung, LG, etc phones (Stock Android needs two swipe down the notification area to turn on/off wi-fi).

3) Inferior Accessories
    The charger and accessories that comes in the DTEK50 box looked like they were from the dollar store. It is so bad that BlackBerry does not put their name on the charger.
    May I ask if you own a DTEK and or have shopped Android devices with similar specs and or price range?

08-20-16 05:08 PM
    I disagree. The Passport's speakers are far better from my experience owning both.

I also strongly disagree about BlackBerry adopting Samsung's stupid, laggy, cluttered UI. I like the BlackBerry Android UI as it is - basic Android with minor improvements. Adding a whole new layer on top of Android has always annoyed me.

I like BlackBerry's take on Android as well. We all have different ears but I just can't get behind my Passport sound being better. Yes it has two bottom speakers but it's not the stereo sound being on opposite sides as it is on the DTEK. I however also believe my Z30 was better than my Passport. Just my take.

08-20-16 05:12 PM
    Mines going back, already have the return approval from DR. I had pre ordered the Note 7 and I know the 2 don't really compare at all but net net I'm paying less for the Note because of contract so it's a no brainer.

The DTEK was just terrible for battery, always on the charger and that's great if I'm in the office or in the car but if I'm outdoors without easy access then it was brutal.

Also, I was constantly getting random reboots, even just yesterday I was talking to my mom on the phone and the DTEK rebooted 3 times mid way during conversation. Also happened a few times while browsing.

While the DTEK wasn't too bad performance wise soon as I started playing with the Note and using both side by side it's not even close.

I did like BB's take on Android, not the hub though I thought that was too redundant with the regular Android notifications but that's just me. Some of the other features were cool but just not enough to make me stay.

So looks like that's it for me with BB for now anyways, kinda sad.

08-21-16 11:59 AM
    I have the same issues with the battery life, even with the screen brightness turned down to about 25% and nothing running in the background except auto sync.

Quick chargers are worth it! The battery on my PRIV easily lasts all day for me but I bought 2 quick chargers. I have one in my car as well as one in the house. They are great for last minute charging when something comes up in the evening, after a heavy use day. The one in the car is for taking off at the spur of the moment when things come up and not having time to charge at home. It would be even more handy for the DTEK50, for sure.
    08-21-16 12:13 PM
    My battery seems to have stabilised itself a bit now. The charging is still annoyingly slow, so I might get a quick charger like suggested. Anyway, went out on a date last night with only 30% battery. On the Passport I wouldn't have been worried at all, but on the Dtek50... I'm also reliant on being able to order an Uber, so I was worried about the battery dying on me during the night, but to my surprise I got home just before it died and that included the use of Uber 3 times, Google maps, a phone call and a little WhatsApp use.

08-21-16 12:49 PM
    Im keeping my dtek50. Hopefully like the priv. After a good software OS update. the battery issue is no more. My priv's battery sucked and an update fixed the problem. P.s Blackberry needs the clean up there whole staff with some new blood. The people running that company seem to be blind death and d*mb when it comes to smartphones
    08-21-16 11:58 PM
    Im keeping my dtek50. Hopefully like the priv. After a good software OS update. the battery issue is no more. My priv's battery sucked and an update fixed the problem. P.s Blackberry needs the clean up there whole staff with some new blood. The people running that company seem to be blind death and d*mb when it comes to smartphones
    MM had some battery saving tricks built into it.. If the DTEK works well enough, then keep it. But don't keep it hoping some software patch is going to improve the battery life. That is an issue of battery size, screen type (LCD) and processor/GPU... and Android in general.
    08-22-16 11:34 AM
    Perhaps it's the large screen. Perhaps it's android.
    Perhaps it's just you. Stick with your beloved iPhone SE.
    08-23-16 03:43 AM
    Perhaps it's just you. Stick with your beloved iPhone SE.
    Dude - if you've got nothing productive or informative to say, then don't post. If you read the forum, you'll find there is quite a number of people who have the same battery issues i've had. Do you even own the phone???
    RobertP1 likes this.
    08-23-16 04:54 AM
    Reasons I am returning...... I can live without my beloved blackberry keyboard for the price of more RAM, Storage, CPU & GPU. I am buying the Huwei Honor 8 with 32gb storage built in, 4gb Ram, a much better camera, Much better CPU, Much better GPU, 24 months guarantee for software updates and really the hub is now available to all android devices.

I realized that after installing all my apps phone storage is at 3gb. Camera is not that impressive to me, it's ok but i miss the colors and editing tools from BB10. The phone on occasion has hiccups between launching apps or small delays because of it's mid range components.... I would simply prefer to go all android with a better performing phone with better specs and results all around.

Battery life was not an issue for me because I'm a light user.... Music on the way to work, some browsing, a few calls, 5 email addresses on push including corporate active sync. The DTEK was giving me good battery life lasting between 13-19 hours between charges every day with battery life anywhere from 20% to 40% before going on the charger. Only days the battery got to 5% after 17 hours with me working on tweaking the phone with setting an app downloads. Yes 7am off charger until 12am at night.

If blackberry take a page from Huwei business success and give us a reasonably priced phones with top specs and the good ol' BB features we have grown to love for being intuitive than i will be back.... I would like to see the LED notification light, Sound profiles for notifications, Skip music tracks with Volume rockers, Swipe gesture for unlocking phone instead of double tap, lift to wake, Accessible (Music, Video, Picture) folder, Menu structure which improves the mess in android and bring it closer to the majestic BB10 OS
    Last edited by chilss; 08-26-16 at 03:18 PM.
    08-26-16 03:06 PM
    Look People I own and have used s7. Excellent phone and yet I couldn't get an all day battery life out of it. not even 16 hours maybe 12 hours. With DTEK50 i'm getting just a little under 12hrs. So for both phone I re-charge before i leave the office or while driving. Problem solve.
    Edrian Villa likes this.
    08-28-16 08:03 AM
    Reasons I am returning...... I can live without my beloved blackberry keyboard for the price of more RAM, Storage, CPU & GPU. I am buying the Huwei Honor 8 with 32gb storage built in, 4gb Ram, a much better camera, Much better CPU, Much better GPU, 24 months guarantee for software updates and really the hub is now available to all android devices.

I realized that after installing all my apps phone storage is at 3gb. Camera is not that impressive to me, it's ok but i miss the colors and editing tools from BB10. The phone on occasion has hiccups between launching apps or small delays because of it's mid range components.... I would simply prefer to go all android with a better performing phone with better specs and results all around.

Battery life was not an issue for me because I'm a light user.... Music on the way to work, some browsing, a few calls, 5 email addresses on push including corporate active sync. The DTEK was giving me good battery life lasting between 13-19 hours between charges every day with battery life anywhere from 20% to 40% before going on the charger. Only days the battery got to 5% after 17 hours with me working on tweaking the phone with setting an app downloads. Yes 7am off charger until 12am at night.

If blackberry take a page from Huwei business success and give us a reasonably priced phones with top specs and the good ol' BB features we have grown to love for being intuitive than i will be back.... I would like to see the LED notification light, Sound profiles for notifications, Skip music tracks with Volume rockers, Swipe gesture for unlocking phone instead of double tap, lift to wake, Accessible (Music, Video, Picture) folder, Menu structure which improves the mess in android and bring it closer to the majestic BB10 OS
    Honor 8 = flagship specs
    DTEK50 = mid-range specs
    Price difference = $100

Honor 8 is definitely a better buy than DTEK50 for $100 more. Far better specs as you have listed, and Honor 8's specs are on par with Samsung Galaxy S7.
    08-30-16 07:39 PM
91 123 ...